Mission.lvl changes request

Started by Kit Fisto, July 13, 2012, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 13, 2012, 01:18:42 PM Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:39:37 PM by kitfisto15678

Patience, Padawan.
Not everyone is ready to whip up a tutorial at a moments notice.

I wish I could help, but I have no knowledge of hexing the mysteries of the mission.lvl.

-edit
Fancy meeting you here, Buckler :P

Oh sorry buckler. I thought it automatically edited it for me.
All I want to know is to make the rebels have forest gear, do I put "all_inf_basicforest" then "all_inf_soldierforest"

The new unit replaces the unit in AddUnitClass loadouts:

SetTeamName (3, "locals")
    AddUnitClass (3, "ewk_inf_trooper", 4);
    AddUnitClass (3, "ewk_inf_repair", 6);
    SetUnitCount (3, 14)
    SetTeamAsFriend(3,ATT)
    SetTeamAsEnemy(3,DEF)

you must call the side lvl file with the new unit first

I don't know the names of the forest units off the top of my head.  You will have to look in the mod tools or make new units with those names.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I don't really get it. I'm trying to hex edit the mission.lvl on sk's dagobah conversion to make the rebels have forest gear...

OK, I did not know you figured out how to hex edit.  You need to change the name of the unit, but it has to be a name that actually exists.

Use your hex editor to look in the mission.lvl file in the section for Endor and see what unit is used there.  Then, replace the name for the lua you want to edit.  Note:  the length of the old and new unit names must be exactly the same.

And, this soooo much easier with a PC...and I know you don't want to hear that again, but it's true :)

I changed others from desert to urban by just deleting desert and putting urban. Does that work? or did I do something wrong...

If it worked, that is great.  It would have been because u-r-b-a-n is 5 letters and d-e-s-e-r-t is 6 letters.  Since the new is 5 letters, and the old is 6 letters, maybe it works.

The other way would not have worked.

A general rule with hex editing (unless your a a hex wizard like tirpider who is decomposing the file structure) is that you need to maintain the exact number of bytes in a file, or line, or anything else.

f-o-r-e-s-t over desert may work or over urban, but I don't know if any units are called forest.

July 13, 2012, 05:08:41 PM #8 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:14:51 PM by kitfisto15678
So you are saying desert changed to urban might work.

Later today I'll try the maps with the mission.lvl's I changed from desert to urban. They are mostly conversions where I got annoyed with the rebel's outfits not matching thier envoronment.

Buckler/Led: You can delete my first 3 posts, I got a little carried away. :P

In cases where a longer string is to be replaced with a shorter string, it seems posible to replace the unused characters with null (00) values.

for example:

hex                 string
64 65 73 65 72 74   desert
75 72 62 61 6E 00   urban

Phobos turned me on to that tip :)

I just compared the original jedi temple mission.lvl with the one where I changed the rebels to URBAN and the very bottom is different. So I just add 00 until its filled up?

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on July 13, 2012, 05:12:34 PM
I just compared the original jedi temple mission.lvl with the one where I changed the rebels to URBAN and the very bottom is different. So I just add 00 until its filled up?

Only if it looks like it is part of the string you are trying to replace.

If you cover up soemthing else with nulls, it might (read as "probably will") break the lvl

Well. Now what.
I didn't know changing rebel clothes to match environments would be soo difficult! I can't really test it right now to see if it works...

I'm unsure what is next for you.
I would make sure the files are in the right place and test?

Like I said, I have never hexed a lvl directly, so like most hexeditors before you, you are kinda blazing a trail to call your own.

July 13, 2012, 05:35:33 PM #14 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:40:35 PM by kitfisto15678
Well I just tried Jedi temple and it crashed. It didn't even make it to the loading screen. Here is what I was trying to do:
Give rebels urban outfit/clothes on:
1. Sk's coruscant Jedi temple
2. Scum strikes Mygeeto
3. Scum strikes Mustafar
4. Sk's Tantive IV

And give rebels forest gear on sk's dagobah.

Also lower clones reinforcements by 30 on his geonosis dust plains
All by hex editing.

I have people tell me to hex edit and when I try I fail. And according to tirp, no one has done it like I'm trying to do it. It seems that I'm not meant to mod. Or Even hex edit. So it seems that this is wha it has boiled down to:

Does someone want to do the above changes for me?