Gamespydev response :(

Started by {PLA}gdh92, November 12, 2012, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on November 12, 2012, 07:30:30 PM
Yes, all the tunngle outcasts can join me on Game ranger >:D
I can join you on Gameranger if I am online, just make sure to Xfire me if you're up for a game  :cheers:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

YayThats me penguin Ecko Johnisoflu in gamerangdr :D , message me if you wana play :P . Phobos would I have to drop out of tournament or could I do it in gameranger,  tunngle won't work :'-(

Like I said, if worse does come to worse, I will either end up using Tunngle, or move to SWBF2. If SWBF2 shuts down, I will just play solo on SWBF: Elite Squadron. :P

Thanks for all the info, this is sad, since I think a lot of us prefer SWBF over SWBF2.
If they just had released it on Steam we would have had more players.

Gamespy doesnt care how many players are playing, it costs money to keep servers up, money they refuse to spend more of.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Josh on November 13, 2012, 06:25:53 AM
Gamespy doesnt care how many players are playing, it costs money to keep servers up, money they refuse to spend more of.

Josh, Gamepsy had a contract with LucasArts.  It expired.  LucasArts is not interesting in renewing it.  Let's keep the proper perspective on this.  We still have other options for multiplayer SWBF.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

What service did Gamespy actually deliver?
Dedicated players rent servers at different companies. Gamespy put those servers in the server list?

They provided a master server service that tied all the servers together in the in-game lobby.

Without the master server, the game tries to conect to something that isn't there, so it displays nothing, even though there may be plenty of servers, there is no way for the game to find them.

They also handled a player id service.

Thx Tirpider,

Any idea how the costs for a master server compare to renting a game server.
The community has always provided the servers. I hope they'll just set up a new master server.
The player id service is hardly important luckily.

I've played SWBF1 on and off for the past 8 years. Like Phobos I do not care for SWBF2. Even if there is only one other person on tunngle you bet I'll be playing. I have tunngle and game ranger so if anyone wants to play just xfire me  :D this game will still survive but it will not thrive. The best option is to spread the word about Tunngle and GR and stop whining about gamespy did this and LA didn't do that and just play with what we have. There is still loads of fun to be had just with a smaller community.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Quote from: JediKB on November 13, 2012, 07:53:55 AM
Thx Tirpider,

Any idea how the costs for a master server compare to renting a game server.
The community has always provided the servers. I hope they'll just set up a new master server.
The player id service is hardly important luckily.
Hi JediKB, good to see you here.

Gamespy has a website that shows their costs:
http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

I don't think it would cost that much.  The problem is communicating to LuscasArts that we want to pay for it and getting them to agree to it.  Any ideas about that?

Quote from: Buckler on November 13, 2012, 08:57:25 AM
I don't think it would cost that much.  The problem is communicating to LuscasArts that we want to pay for it and getting them to agree to it.  Any ideas about that?

We might have to try sending physical letters requesting this. I can't find an email but here is their company address
http://www.lucasarts.com/company/contact/

Mailing Address
LucasArts
P.O. Box 29908
San Francisco, CA 94129-0908

Perhaps if enough people send letters asking them to let the swbfgamers community pay for hosting the master server they will agree. It might not work but it's definitely worth a shot. I'm not going to throw in the towel and 'accept it' until we have tried every practical option we possibly can.

Quote from: {212} =-Norris-= on November 13, 2012, 08:45:51 AM
I've played SWBF1 on and off for the past 8 years. Like Phobos I do not care for SWBF2. Even if there is only one other person on tunngle you bet I'll be playing. I have tunngle and game ranger so if anyone wants to play just xfire me  :D this game will still survive but it will not thrive. The best option is to spread the word about Tunngle and GR and stop whining about gamespy did this and LA didn't do that and just play with what we have. There is still loads of fun to be had just with a smaller community.
A million times this. We can still have a good community through Tunngle and Gameranger, last night we had 15 people on the PLA cloud city server for a good amount of time, and it was a weeknight. We can pull through this, we just need to think positively!  :D

Quote from: Phobos on November 13, 2012, 09:17:02 AM
Perhaps if enough people send letters asking them to let the swbfgamers community pay for hosting the master server they will agree. It might not work but it's definitely worth a shot. I'm not going to throw in the towel and 'accept it' until we have tried every practical option we possibly can.

I absolutely agree, looking at the gamespy server costs, it wouldn't even cost that much for the amount of players we have, so all we need is approval from LA. We will need to be relentless about this, and have every person in this community contact them about it, and let them know that we still play and love this game, and that we can take care of the servers from now on.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

I really hate being the one to keep breaking this news but I've been E-mailing someone in Gamespy and he says only the Publisher can get support for a game and that they have a $30,000 dollar sign on fee anyway.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

OK, that is a prohibitive amount.  Let's move on from Gamespy---it is a done deal.  Further posts about trying to ask to restart it will be locked :)