OverrideTexture compatible Darth Sidious

Started by tirpider, October 26, 2012, 04:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
OverrideTexture compatible Darth Sidious

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=795

tirpider - editing
Pandemic - source materials

A kitbash of the following:
SWBF2 imp_inf_darthsidious.msh (Pandemic)
and the various tga's, .options, and lowres models that they came with.

Changes:
- Rebuilt NDXL and NDXT tags for compatibility with my process. (only affects console munging, and should be fine.)
- Made OverrideTexture compatible
   - renamed MODLs.
- removed cloth and cloth related collision MODL's.
- removed TX0D ref to "cis_darth_cidious.tga"
- Reordered materials so that the scene material (with no TX0D) is listed first like the other msh's
   - updated MATI's to reflect moved materials.
- Added a duplicate material with hard edged transperancy for the robe. OverrideTexture still works on it.

Possible future edits / un-resoved issues:
- Split interesting parts into individual SEGM's
   - Head / Head shadow
   - Inner hood
   - Cloak Shadow
- The lowres robe solution isn't perfect. There are still pieces poking out of it here and there, so be mindfull of the legs when reskinning.

To make use of the override texture, the following line needs to be in the unit's odf
(replace texturename with the name of your texture)
OverrideTexture  = "texturename"  // body, robe, ect

I left the filename the same as the original as it is meant to be used as a replacement.
It still requires the same tgas as the original
imp_inf_darthsidious.tga

Notes:
This one was fun.
First, the biggest problem with the Emporer has always been the lack of a cloak to go with his neato hood. In BF2 it is made of cloth, so no problems. But cloth doesn't work in BF1... what to do.
I was thinking I could extract the lowres mesh and isolate the cloak and use that. It would require re enveloping and re weighting.. long and tedious.
Lukily, the shadow volume still had uv's. The MODL is hidden via the FLGS chunk, but it had them anyway, so I tried deleting the flgs chunk, and pointing the sv_ MATI to a proper material (one with a texture) and tried it in game.
Perfect. The cloak is there, uv'ed and moving perfectly with the body.
Of course, the sv_ had everything in one SEGM, so the rest of the model looked wierd with the overlapping geometries. But since it has UV's still, I used them to isolate the cloak via it's texture, like any other model piece. (No literal guessing at shadows.)
Another piece of luck, the ENVL for the shadow was exactly the same as the main MODL's ENVL. Usually, I have to re index it and adjust weights accordingly when moving pieces around. Shadows, being lower res don't always make use of all the bones. This one does. It had a full ENVL, I couldn't have asked for a better set up.

I doubt the other cloth substitutions are going to go as smooth, but now I know to check shadows and lowres for usable geometries when replacing cloth structures.

-tirpider (tirpider@yahoo.com)
visit http://www.swbfgamers.com/

Man, you have been on a string of great releases lately.  I can only imagine you with your computer surrounded with empty cans and bottles of mountain dew. 

Just remember to keep the Mrs. happy!

;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on October 26, 2012, 06:56:18 AM
I can only imagine you with your computer surrounded with empty cans and bottles of mountain dew. 
No lie, my pre-calculus teacher drinks Mountain dew EVERY DAY!!!!! Morning or afternoon!!!!!!!! :blink: