Looking to buy a new computer....

Started by Jon415, April 20, 2010, 09:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Put those $5 towards speakers if you need them.

Red, you do have to admit gaming will go further down the Quad-core road eventually.

Jon, right now you should be fine with 2 cores.

9$ for MS word?

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Microsoft Office + Better - Junk + Free = OpenOffice.

If you're going slightly above the price range, you're better off doing so. ;)

#TYBG

is OpenOffice compatible with MS word? I'm sure eventually he will need to use his documents on school computers. (presentations and such)

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on May 04, 2010, 04:06:27 AM
is OpenOffice compatible with MS word? I'm sure eventually he will need to use his documents on school computers. (presentations and such)

yes

#TYBG

Changing opinion back to the HP:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/desktops/e9300z_series/3/computer_store?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/SDP_SDP
With amd phenom x4 820 processor
6gb ram
640 gb hard drive
Speakers
Mocrosoft works 9.0
win7
HD 5570
Grand total: $734
The processor is not phenom II, but it is a quad core with 2.9 ghz clack speed and 2mb cache+4mb shared

I don't think you're going to bother with building your own computer, so I think you're better off sticking to the computer you'd like best. That one seems to be it.

#TYBG

Yes thats the best one for the money ive seen.  Well thanks for all the help :D :tu:
Without you guys i mightve actually ended up woth that dell xps ( :td: )

that computer is very good. buy it so we can play some real games :D

Will be ordering once CSTs are over next week :cheer:

yay, once you get it we can play on steam. god im excited...

How do i get steam (Stupid juice had to spill while i'm typing :rant: )

Ok. 
Quote from: Red on May 05, 2010, 07:38:40 PM
IMO that's a pretty weak computer for gaming. It's got a good processor, but the video card is balls, not to mention the processor is quad-core, and we won't see a lot mainstream games getting quadcore support until a few years later at best, and by that time this processor will be obsolete. It's not a particularly good buy either-the computer is more expensive than it should be. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

If i had the money to get a better video card, i would.  This is my budget now, and it will do until it becomes obsolete.  Anyway, PCs are upgradeable.  So when that video card becomes obsolete i will upgrade.  I dont know how that really works though since i'm new to pcs, but i know it can be upgraded.  Ive been able to survive for years on a computer with an outdated powerpc processor (1.25 ghz , 512 cache), 256 mb ram, 37 gig hard drive, and outdated os 10.3.9.  I've gotten used to a crap computer now; anything will be an improvement from this thing.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi

there ya go. It works sort of like gameranger, except like 20x better. You no longer need to get a disc to play a game. Just download from steam. DVDs are now obsolete xD

May 06, 2010, 07:15:33 AM #104 Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:33:28 PM by Jon415
Cool.  So ill download that on my new PC when i get itt :D

EDIT:

WOHOO IT CAME :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
now to transfer my 6 gb of personal files out of my old computer using my.............4gb flash drive :dry: