Looking to buy a new computer....

Started by Jon415, April 20, 2010, 09:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Red on April 26, 2010, 12:12:37 PM
Many brands have excellent warranties. Look them up and sign up for all of them to protect it for free. Some have lifetime warranties or more (XFX has double-lifetime; transfers if you ever sell it).

They do. But then you'll have to find out what's the problem and send the piece to the company instead of the whole computer to Dell if he was gonna buy that Dell computer.

Just make sure to not throw away the boxes or any paperwork inside it. I recommend putting all the boxes in one big box so you don't lose it. Very few are the brands that accept the part without the box.

Quote from: Red on April 25, 2010, 09:42:11 PM
Windows 7 - Just buy the OEM version I sent you in the PM.

The Win7 OEM price you sent me will add about $100-$140 to the total price of about $656 wich puts my total at Over $750, not including tax and shipping.  That would unfortunately put it out of my price range.
I did some research, and found an HP for $705:
Processor:
AMD Athlon(TM) X4 630 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]

Memory: 6GB

Hard Drive: 640 GB

Graphics: Radeon HD 5570 (opinions on this card compared to nvidia geforce gt220?)
Also has mocrosoft works 9, Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet (whatever that means), Wireless Keyboard and mouse, and speakers.

Can anyone tell me more about the graphics card and processor?

Would building A custom laptop be practical? That is the most practical computer for me.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on April 27, 2010, 05:25:27 AM
Would building A custom laptop be practical? That is the most practical computer for me.

You can't custom-build a laptop yourself.

Does anyone know how good above processor is?

And what about the HD 5570?

Quote from: Jon415 on April 28, 2010, 07:15:27 AM

Does anyone know how good above processor is?

Good enough. If you are focusing in gaming, then you should focus on the graphics card, which is like a processor (in theory), but for high demanding activities such as gaming.

It's good for the price.

I am pretty much focusing as much as i can on the graphics card-that is the starting processor of the computer with the best graphics.  I'm looking at the Radeon Hd 5570. Do you know anything about that card?

April 28, 2010, 10:09:04 PM #52 Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:23:47 PM by shadow
Quote from: Jon415 on April 28, 2010, 09:15:58 PM
I am pretty much focusing as much as i can on the graphics card-that is the starting processor of the computer with the best graphics.  I'm looking at the Radeon Hd 5570. Do you know anything about that card?

That one is alright for gaming. For the games you mentioned, it should work on the highest settings. For newer games, it should work on the low settings maybe medium. (It is better than the GT220)

I will try and build a computer for you like red did, but including the software (Win 7) this time. I'll do that tomorrow (rather, today after school :P)

I'm broswing the hp website and looking for a computer that is good for gaming and has good ram/processor.  The HP that i saw had a free 6gb ram upgrade and a free 640 gb hard disk upgrade.

wow free 6GB of RAM? link?! (i may have to get in on that :P )

ik red, im just saying even 6GB of RAM alone is pretty good on a computer, not counting the 2GB that is standard on the computer.

Quote from: Red on April 29, 2010, 04:59:59 PM
future-proof
Funny words. An old card today was once a new future-proof card yesterday.

lol, i think if i bought one of those Alienware desktops that might *futre-proof* me for a while xD

Its an hp-and its 4gb standard heres the link:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

Also free hard drive upgrade to 640 gb.

Quote from: Jon415 on April 29, 2010, 09:07:17 PM
Its an hp-and its 4gb standard heres the link:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

Link doesn't work.

Alienware is for the ones that want to brag about having an alienware. I would say it has the most inflated prices in the market, haven't heard good thing about their customer support, which is crucial for computers like these.

The computer Red built at the beginning of this thread is better than the entry level desktop from alienware, which runs about $1000.