Basic SWBF 1on1 Guide

Started by quik, December 04, 2009, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
     Alright, so I'm going to make this as short and sweet as I can.  :cheers:
Why I'm making this 'readme' only guide: Recently I've made a decision. I was always playing with the Euro pros, because the North American side was starting to bore me. It wasn't competitive anymore. I had learned so much from all the German and French players. And not just any of the players, but the best. Treasarion, Habi, Ace, Shurtugal, Hawk...all these players contributed to my skill. And now, I wanna teach the American players this. The only one who knows the 1on1 general and somewhat advanced playing style is Jamman (I'm sure you've all heard of him, especially me spamming his name with my F9 command on public servers lol.)  :wave:  So let's start...

The BASICS: Now these are the BASIC BASICS if you will. Things you learn when you start off playing.

1. Move and Shoot: The worse thing you can do is sit there like a sitting duck and try shooting a moving object. You'd die before you even got a shot on them.

2. Moving: This is something every good player uses. Now it depends on your default settings, but the basic default movement is WASD. DO NOT USE YOUR ARROW KEYS

3. Shooting: Well this is basic enough. Click your left mouse button 0.o

4. Typing: Don't complain when someone killed you why typing. It's your fault to type in the first place. Pick a spot where people won't come, so you can type in peace  :sleep:

.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

Now onto the The Advanced Basics: Ok, here we go. The moment has come for everyone to learn the BASIC SWBF pro playing style. From here on out, your gaming style will depend on you.

1. Movement: So, you don't use arrow keys anymore, and you've gotten used to using your keyboard. Here's how we're gonna start out. Sidestep. Sidestep. Sidestep. DO NOT ROLL*. Sidestep left, right, left, right. Eventually you'll even start getting the gist of it, and moving front, back, left, right, etc. This movement for dodging shots. It's also for the basic AIM MODE playing (see next post.) The most basic sidesteping...is...well...to the side. I don't recommend moving up while sidesteping, because there's a better chance of the persons shots hitting/registering on you. Don't jump either (unless you're fighting pilot/rocket, but even then, your timing has to be close to perfect.) So once you've gotten the basic PRO Movement down, let's move on to the aiming...

Aiming: This whole paragraph I'd like to dedicate to Shurtugal who taught me this so long ago :) So, you can't seem to hit your opponent while he sidesteps huh? You sidestep too, but he can't hit you either! You keep aiming to the side of aim but your shots miss, and you can't aim straight at him because you'll know he'll move... So you're stuck! What do we do now!?

AIM MODE

Shurtugal coined this term while explaining it to me. When I found out what it was, I was astounded out how simplistic it sounded. I was truely dumbfouned, to the point where I thought "Why didn't I think of that?" Aim Mode is the basic pro shooting/aiming. It's this simple: LET THE ENEMY WALK INTO YOUR CURSOR. While you and your opponent are sidestepping, if you keep your cursor locked in a steady position, without moving it in any direction, you can let your enemy walk into it. Once he does...SHOOT! Easy as that. It can be hard at first, not moving your cursor and keeping it steady. But when your rival walks into the cursor and you have the sweet headshot (keep in mind this applies to ALL classes) it feels so good :)

December 04, 2009, 05:33:19 PM #3 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:26:21 AM by quik
Miscellaneous: Other random junk you might find useful. I'm just throwing these out there, so feel free to contribute if you want  :moo:

Healing as a pilot: In a duel, healing can be hard. Because your healthpack goes infront of you, and if you try to go get it...well let's just say, your opponent has his work cut out for him. But, if you take a quick step back and throw your health pack...it'll heal you instantaneously. It might take a while for the game to register it though.

Turrets: They're not as useless as you thought. If you jump, and hit E (or whatever is your key to entering vehicles/objects), you'll be able to enter a turrent that is just barely above/out of reach.

Grenades: If you want to sticky (bug, stuck, paste, glue, or w/e you want to call it) them, pay attention to the texture of the ground. Some textures (and you'll realize what kind) are easier to sticky on than others.

Jetting: Don't jet straight up.

Mine Throwing: What can I say? Possibly the most effective counter movement manuevre out there. How to throw mines? Well it's not exactly "throwing" a mine. It's more of tricking the game into thinking you're planting a mine in a spot far away.  :tu: So let's start. Look all the way up with your mouse. Start running forward while looking all the way up. Then place (throw) the mine. The mine will go farther ahead, and you'll see it go ahead of you. That's the basic mine throwing. Now to super mine throw, I'd recommend being rebel vanguard. Look all the way up, start running...but instead of throwing the mine right away, JUMP! If you can jump and throw the mine at the exact same time, your mine should fly atleast double the distance from your other mine. (Be aware that this isn't very useful in fighting opponents, because the jump leaves you vulnerable.) Here's some quick pointers: CIS Rocket, Clone Rocket, and Empire rocket are the BEST are short distance. The Clone rocket is the fastest "short" mine thrower, the CIS rocket is the second best, but gains a little more advantage because when tested out it can throw a LITTLE more accurate than the others, and the Empire rocket comes in third because of it's throwing time, which tends to be the longest out of all of them. Now the rebel vanguard is a bit more tricky. You have to have a big running start to do a short mine throw, but it's LONG mine throws are close to 100% accurate, while the other classes are more dependable on luck. So there you have it. Mine throwing for the basic nooblette.

That's about it...I could think of more, but time has the better of me :) Time to SwBf, enjoy the guide! Welcome to the world of Basic Pro 1on1ing :)  :cheers:

(On a sidenote, feel free to add contributions. I'm sure there's probably some things I forgot :)

I eat Europeeons for breakfast. :rofl:

I don't think I've ever seen a guide like this actually written out, there are good tips in here, and I think they apply to more than just 1v1. They seem more like general tips to me. You should probably add mine throwing to the guide.

Its funny, i have been using all of these "tips" for years now. I thought they were general Knowledge. Maybe that is why I am such a beast sniper compared to everyone else  ::)

_(VS)_ Head Lead
Yankee

*cough* *cough*
I like this. Newer players will definitely benefit from this :D

Yeah, since they don't know how to dodge.  :D

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."

Alor of the new players actually dont know how to actually.

this is good. mpcgamers.com is a good place for swbf1 fans to come to and learn about all most anything. playing with others is the best.

Quote from: Master Zen on December 04, 2009, 07:26:21 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a guide like this actually written out, there are good tips in here, and I think they apply to more than just 1v1. They seem more like general tips to me. You should probably add mine throwing to the guide.

That's a good idea :) I will

Quote from: Yankee on December 04, 2009, 07:49:29 PM
Its funny, i have been using all of these "tips" for years now. I thought they were general Knowledge. Maybe that is why I am such a beast sniper compared to everyone else  ::)

Your Roar's louder than your bite Yank  :whip:

Quote from: keenmike on December 04, 2009, 10:28:09 PM
this is good. mpcgamers.com is a good place for swbf1 fans to come to and learn about all most anything. playing with others is the best.

Yup. Especially with the semi "racism" some players put again the Euro players. We're all gamers. If you wanna be the best, you have to learn from the best.

Please don't post in a row :) just use one post to answer them all.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)