Close Quarters Map Pack

Started by Ultimo, March 22, 2014, 08:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I feel like I haven't done nearly enough of my own contribution to the community here (in fact, I have created absolutely zero mods, maps, skins, etc...), So I've decided I will be making some Close Quarters maps from now on.
These maps are going to be really nice for all of the classes, while still mixing the feelings of Close Quarters affect.
I don't know if I can do it, but I will also try to look into having one or two of the maps without CP's, resulting in a basic Team Deathmatch effect.
I will release two maps simultaneously, and continue to update the pack with more maps as days go on. I likely won't do more than 6 maps total, though.
The maps will likely be based all off existing SWBF maps, such as taking the large building over the Carbon Freezing Chamber, and turning the inside of the giant area into a new Close Quarters map. However, that will be all for that map and there will be no access to elements outside.
The second map might end up being an extended version of the ice caves from Rhen Var, and I will be sure to include some giant rooms in the ice and some rooms that may only be accessible through Crouching or Crawling.

All the maps can be added to the AddOn folder, so they shouldn't replace any existing maps.
This is going to take me some time to make the first two maps, so wish me luck, please!  :tu:

If anyone wants to lend a hand with these maps packs, I'd be more than happy to let you help, although you'd be doing it for free.  ;)
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

The map editor can be a frustrating piece of software--so hang in there, start simple, and good luck.   :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I recommend that after you get used to using the editor, to start with the Carbon freezing chamber (just place it's 3-4 models and block off the entrances with the wall32 model, move the cps and spawn paths into the chamber as desired, I recommend disabling ais in the mission lua code, especially because of the planning/ai pathing), it will be the simplest to do other than the Yavin Arena I think.

If you've never done anything mapping wise, do note that it will most likely take quite a few times before you get the desired mod you wish to make. Read up on the tutorials and everything else that's boring yet helpful.

I've learned that you learn the most from trial and error when modding. Unfortunately most of it is error, but eventually you get to the epic feeling of "I can now create whatever the crap I want and it work just fine."

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Oh, and be sure you learn about the flipX command or whatever it is called that will keep your map from getting all messed up.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on March 24, 2014, 06:35:28 AM
Oh, and be sure you learn about the flipX command or whatever it is called that will keep your map from getting all messed up.
Aye! I will be sure to watch out for that.
---
***UPDATE***
For a time, I had been holding off doing this project because I was getting carried away with gaming instead of working on games. Work will begin very soon, allowing the maps to be released hopefully sometime before the end of June. (Or even May, if I really put myself to it.;))
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Nice, let me know if you need any help. I've gotten pretty good at outsmarting Sally. (don't tell her I said that..)

A few things to keep in mind:

-Have a backup .wld file and save it after every few successful tests
-Don't add too many things between each test
-When things go south, take a break, then work at it again

Good luck!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

How's it going so far? This sounds very interesting imo

Quote from: ETW_Modder on May 25, 2014, 05:33:43 PM
How's it going so far? This sounds very interesting imo

Due to a development in personal and technical issues, the project is pretty slow. Also still having trouble finding my textures in my battlefront files... I swear the have just disappeared. Every map texture. I mean, they load in game but I can't find the files. Strange...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I apologize before hand for making this very dissapointing post, but I am cancelling this prject completely... until next year.
I've made a lot of commitments to my church this year and I am going to stand by them as much as I can. Sadly I won't be having a lot of free time everyday and what I can get I honestly don't want to spend that time outside of having fun.
The maps weren't going to be a fun project for me, only a commitment because I need to give something back to this community that has made me their friend, helped me in rough times, and showed me how to be a pretty good player.
I Thank ALL of You. ALL OF YOU.

I will give back to you starting next year... I'm sorry it can't be sooner.
Thank you, again. I mean it.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper