Phobos revokes his permission to host his mods

Started by Phobos, July 26, 2012, 03:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I would like to inform you that I have changed my position recently. All mods I contributed to this forum between 2009 and July 20, 2012, SWBFgamers still has blanket permission to rehost for. But all mods I have made or will make from July 21 2012 on, you do not have permission to rehost unless I explicitly state otherwise.

Simply put, if I contribute a mod to this forum, but only wish to have a download link on mediafire and not a mirror copy here, I ask you to please respect this wish. If you cannot, I will not post any new download links here period. This is unfortunately the only way I can still release mods here without them being "trolled". Thanks.

Quote from: Phobos on July 26, 2012, 03:21:15 PM
I would like to inform you that I have changed my position recently. All mods I contributed to this forum between 2009 and July 20, 2012, SWBFgamers still has blanket permission to rehost for. But all mods I have made or will make from July 21 2012 on, you do not have permission to rehost unless I explicitly state otherwise.

Simply put, if I contribute a mod to this forum, but only wish to have a download link on mediafire and not a mirror copy here, I ask you to please respect this wish. If you cannot, I will not post any new download links here period. This is unfortunately the only way I can still release mods here without them being "trolled". Thanks.
You're getting all worked up over nothing. So what if someone gives something of yours a bad rating or lames a video. And if someone is verbally flaming you just ignore them, literally on xFire you can block them and on this forum you can add them to your ignore list. Plenty of people have lamed my videos and I suspect you might be one of them, but I didn't get worked up over it. And I certainly didn't take all my videos and screenshots down.

July 26, 2012, 07:31:14 PM #2 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:54:01 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on July 26, 2012, 04:32:00 PM
You're getting all worked up over nothing. So what if someone gives something of yours a bad rating or lames a video. And if someone is verbally flaming you just ignore them, literally on xFire you can block them and on this forum you can add them to your ignore list. Plenty of people have lamed my videos and I suspect you might be one of them, but I didn't get worked up over it. And I certainly didn't take all my videos and screenshots down.
I am retaining rights over mods I develop. If you cannot respect that simple request I will refrain from releasing any new mods here period. I have in fact blocked many of them on both xfire and this forum. Not getting worked up just stating that I'm no longer going to provide hating noobs with mods I put time and thought into creating. Accept it or not I don't really care.

I'd rather hoard mods/assets/whatever than see all my creative endeavors spat upon by certain ungrateful individuals who make it a priority to run my work in the ground. The criticism for not sharing absolutely everything I possibly could is easier to deal with than the constant hate/jealousy I keep seeing from most of my major mod releases. That being said I have shared more than enough already, maybe it's just time to move on.

The policy for SWBFgamers.com is that modders share what they want to share.

That said, I hope that everyone shares as much as they can, so that this can be a fun place for us to learn things and for players to try new maps. 

Additionally, credit must be given for people using help, assets, tools, etc. developed by others.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 26, 2012, 08:27:28 PM #4 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:29:21 PM by jdee-barc
I'm perfectly fine with bad ratings, but I expect full, logical, well-written reasons as to why something I make deserves a bad rating/what needs improvement :P.

When you host something, ask for some constructive criticism in the comments. I've found this results in a decrease of flaming and :)

So in other words. I'm hosting all my stuff here too!
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I find it funny how Phobos has become the very thing he used to despise.

July 26, 2012, 08:57:15 PM #6 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on July 26, 2012, 08:52:24 PM
I find it funny how Phobos has become the very thing he used to despise.
I find it funny how all the complaining from people like you is not going to make me even consider releasing anything new. No, in fact it has quite the opposite effect. You obviously don't understand there are things that shouldn't be shared, that explains why Buckler had to remove the noname and other hacks from your stuff pack. I understand this better now more than ever, if that makes me a hypocrite then its the same analogy as a parent telling his child not to smoke cigarettes even though the parent does. I just spent about 15 minutes typing up a long post for the advanced forum, but you know what? Forget I even mentioned it.

You guys are like an old married couple, always bickering with each other  :P.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: Phobos on July 26, 2012, 08:57:15 PM
I find it funny how all the complaining from people like you is not going to make me even consider releasing anything new. No, in fact it has quite the opposite effect. You obviously don't understand there are things that shouldn't be shared, that explains why Buckler had to remove the noname and other hacks from your stuff pack.
Those things were left in the pack by mistake I completely forgot I had made them. I have always held a firm stance against hacks and cheats, I still stand by it. Yes there are things that shouldn't be shared we can agree on that I actually have kept many things that could be used to cheat/hack online that I discovered to myself over the year I have been here.

And to be perfectly honest I don't really care what you release it doesn't affect me at all. But I know there are people out there who do enjoy your mods and maps. So I thought I would try make you see reason.

July 26, 2012, 09:11:17 PM #9 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:52:47 AM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on July 26, 2012, 09:08:38 PM

Those things were left in the pack by mistake I completely forgot I had made them. I have always held a firm stance against hacks and cheats, I still stand by it. Yes there are things that shouldn't be shared we can agree on that I actually have kept many things that could be used to cheat/hack online that I discovered to myself over the year I have been here.

And to be perfectly honest I don't really care what you release it doesn't affect me at all. But I know there are people out there who do enjoy your mods and maps. So I thought I would try make you see reason.

I understand reason quite well in fact there are many reasons I have made this decision and TBH I don't care if you understand my reasons or not since it has no effect on me. I'm not openly sharing assets to everything I develop and never stated anyone should. As for the people who do enjoy my mods and maps, I have already done my best to explain to them the circumstances so that they may also understand why. What I have become is a pro modder, and I have never despised modding. In the past, the thing I despised more than anything was people hoarding alien model assets. MSH files are not source files in the way LUA files are, since they can't be modified directly, you need the source XSI file for the MSH, which is usually stored in a different format. This is why Bamdur and I worked so hard to bring more aliens to the public modding scene in swbf1. I got alot of hate for even asking certain people to share alien models, and have never hesitated to share any of the alien models I could find with the whole community.

I have been accused of not sharing/hoarding things, and of being a hypocrite for having previously asked other people to share who wouldn't. Yet I have stated that I would continue to share mods (some, not all) as long as they were released in a way in which they cannot be trolled/lamed. This makes the accusations invalid from my view, and I see them as cheap excuses to try and control the method by which my mods are distributed. Just because I decide not to share a small portion of my developments/assets with everyone else does not justify these false accusations. If you think BattleBelk shared everything he developed think again.

Until I get a definitive statement/answer to my original request, I am no longer going to be contributing mods here. Go ahead and keep telling yourself I'm hoarding things, pretend like the few scripts or assets (and don't think I should be sharing unfinished WIPs either) I haven't shared is so much more significant than the LVL builder toolboxes, the modding encyclopedias & tutorials, the phobos mod map pack, CCSC, whatever else I shared in the past. These things would have never been released if what you say about me was true. You have permission to host all of my mods made up until last week. No mods I have made since then may be posted or linked here until further notice. I'm not going to change this decision until my original request is addressed.

Quote from: Phobos on July 26, 2012, 03:21:15 PM
All mods I contributed to this forum between 2009 and July 20, 2012, SWBFgamers still has blanket permission to rehost for. But all mods I have made or will make from July 21 2012 on, you do not have permission to rehost unless I explicitly state otherwise.

Simply put, if I contribute a mod to this forum, but only wish to have a download link on mediafire and not a mirror copy here, I ask you to please respect this wish.

Phobos, I have already told you that your request will be honored.  I have done this already in this thread and by xfire.  I will soon split this discussion off into a separate post.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet