Why people are upset about the new game.

Started by AiRJacobs, September 04, 2015, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 04, 2015, 03:09:07 PM Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:41:18 PM by AiRJacobs
So, I have been hearing from a lot of the riders of the hate-train for the new Star Wars Battlefront. I still remember having long conversations with friends when we found out the game was being made, and made by DICE. The first bit I kept hearing from haters was this: "OH GOD! I HOPE IT IS NOT A BATTLEFIELD RE-SKIN!" This seemed to be the number  1 concern. People all over were fearing another Battlefield game with a Star Wars theme. This fear is very irrational. The primary reason for this is because of the bad launch of Battlefield 4. Since then many people have grown a hate for the Battlefield franchise. Now I want to address all of this, but first, some history of where I come from in this issue, and where I stand in all of this.

I love Star Wars Battlefront. It was the first multiplayer FPS I have ever gotten. I remember spending countless hours on the map Bespin: Platforms (best map BTW). I eventually went out and got the second game when it came out and loved it just as much. I would play both game back-to-back. However, most of my friends at the time were more into the modern FPS games. So I wanted to be more like my friends who were playing games like COD: MW2. Swimming through the internet, I tried many FPS demos I found. The first was Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. I downloaded all of the game demos in that franchise. They were ok, but not great. I stumbled upon a game called Battlefield 2. It looked interesting enough, so I went for it. I downloaded the demo, and jumped right in. My first impression was how similar the game was to Star Wars Battlefront. The core game mechanics, and controls were almost identical. Since then I have bought and played every Battlefield game all the way up to Hardline.

The thing that got me so into the Battlefield Franchise was how similar it was to Star Wars Battlefront, my all-time favorite shooter. Now, I want to make this statement. A lot of people who hear what I am about to say will most likely disagree, but it is a solid opinion that I feel strongly about. I am willing to put myself out there completely open to criticism. Are you ready for this....

Star Wars Battlefront is and always has been a "re-skin" of Battlefield

...WOW. Now let me explain before you guys start throwing rotten tomatoes at me. It is not EXACTLY the same game. There are several differences, like the HUD, the theme, the vehicles, and weapons. However, the core of both games are very similar. They are both, semi-slow paced games in which teamwork is essential for victory, there are land and air vehicles, an the soldier classes are similar. I use to play Battlefield 2 and Star Wars Battlefront back-to-back, and I can say from experience, they are very close game.

I believe that most people don't know exactly what they want. Because of the fear of another broken Battlefield game, fans are trying to keep Star Wars Battlefront as far from Battlefield as they can in fear of the same problems.

I have also played the Closed Alpha of the new Star Wars Battlefront, and I can say from experience, it is almost nothing like the original game. They only thing that makes it similar is the theme of Star Wars. The gameplay, HUD, and core mechanics are entirely different. If anything, the new game is a Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Star Wars re-skin. I have played Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare (which was a fun game), and the new Star Wars Battlefront seems closer to that game.

So, in conclusion, the new Star Wars Battlefront should have been designed more like a Battlefield game because that is what the original game was like. It is too late now for DICE to change the game that much, but lets hope they make the sequel a bit better.

Just for the record, I will be buying the new game and playing it. I am not hating on the new game. I am looking forward to it. But it could have been better if they made the game more like the original ones.

Do you agree with me, do you disagree. Leave a comment below. I am always interested to hear what people have to say about my ideas. I am very open-minded about other peoples' opinions.

I will let you know what I think after I play it  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I wont play again... again... again... a battlefield/CoD copypasted game.. that will ruin the fun gameplay inspired in battlefront 1 and battlefront 2.. anyway people keep waiting for the new best game.. the new best graphics.. the servers with 400 players.. until the masterserver shutdown and comeback at the beginning.. it is a vicious circle..
I am fine with some old games where I got lot of good memories.
Nintendo 64... AgeOfEmpires..StarwarsBattlefront 1 for example.  :cheers:

Quote from: ~PFA~ Majesty Leader on September 04, 2015, 03:33:45 PM
I wont play again... again... again... a battlefield/CoD copypasted game.. that will ruin the fun gameplay inspired in battlefront 1 and battlefront 2.. anyway people keep waiting for the new best game.. the new best graphics.. the servers with 400 players.. until the masterserver shutdown and comeback at the beginning.. it is a vicious circle..
I am fine with some old games where I got lot of good memories.
Nintendo 64... AgeOfEmpires..StarwarsBattlefront 1 for example.  :cheers:
Did you actually read his post? The whole point of it was that the ORIGINAL Battlefront already is a "a battlefield/CoD copypasted game". And that, if anything, the new SWBF is less like Battlefield the the other games of the series.

Also, a fact I should mention, Battlefield came out BEFORE Star Wars Battlefront.

Battlefield 1942 was released on 10 September 2002
while
Star Wars Battlefront was released on September 21, 2004

I just wanted to throw this out there. Battlefield layed out the foundation for Star Wars Battlefront, once again supporting my statement that Star Wars Battlefront has always been sort of a re-skin. So what people truly want is a Star Wars themed Battlefield game (just like the original). Although, most people are afraid to admit that they want anything remotely close to a Battlefield game. Some people just don't like Battlefield. Then again, I could be completely wrong in saying all of this. If I am, please let me know.

Also, a Star Wars themed mod for Battlefield 1942 is what inspired Battlefront in the first place.

See i disagree, i loved the Pre-Alpha and i own every battlfield since Bad Company. I find SOME similarities, but altogether i feel the new Battlefront is a different game.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

That's what he thinks as well:
Quote from: AiRJacobs on September 04, 2015, 03:09:07 PM
I have also played the Closed Alpha of the new Star Wars Battlefront, and I can say from experience, it is almost nothing like the original game.
So, in conclusion, the new Star Wars Battlefront should have been designed more like a Battlefield game because that is what the original game was like. It is too late now for DICE to change the game that much, but lets hope they make the sequel a bit better.

Quote from: Helios on September 04, 2015, 05:35:28 PM
See i disagree, i loved the Pre-Alpha and i own every battlfield since Bad Company. I find SOME similarities, but altogether i feel the new Battlefront is a different game.

To clarify, I stated earlier that the ORIGINAL games were like Battlefield, but the NEW (Closed Alpha) game was NOT like Battlefield, which it should have been.

To open this up to a larger conversation, can you guys think of some small changes DICE could make that could make the game better? I mean small but dynamic changes, like changing the HUD or something. I have noticed over the years that if you change a game's HUD, you can make it feel like an entirely different game.

So, what changes do you guys think could make the game better, but would take little to no extra time for these changes?

September 04, 2015, 05:45:16 PM #10 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:49:30 PM by Commander Awesome
Quote from: AiRJacobs on September 04, 2015, 05:40:07 PM
To clarify, I stated earlier that the ORIGINAL games were like Battlefield, but the NEW (Closed Alpha) game was NOT like Battlefield, which it should have been.
In fact, DICE themselves stated that they're trying to make it different from battlefield, but, as it would seem, nobody takes their word for anything anymore.

Quote from: AiRJacobs on September 04, 2015, 05:43:04 PM
To open this up to a larger conversation, can you guys think of some small changes DICE could make that could make the game better? I mean small but dynamic changes, like changing the HUD or something. I have noticed over the years that if you change a game's HUD, you can make it feel like an entirely different game.

So, what changes do you guys think could make the game better, but would take little to no extra time for these changes?
I haven't played the alpha, but I have watched gameplay and have been following info about the game religiously. From what I've seen/read, the game looks pretty solid for me. Though I'm not entirely sure about the power-up system, and I'm quite disappointed by the lack of a server browser.

I agree. The game by itself is a fun game. It's just that when you compare it to the original game, the first 2 Battlefront games were more fun. However, as a PC player, I cannot get over the "no server browser" plan. It seems like DICE is going to the extreme of trying to make this as far from Battlefield as possible to the point where they took away the server browser. To me, this is crossing the line for PC players.

There are a few pros to this though. With a skill-based matchmaking system, you can have more balanced matches (assuming the matchmaking system works, which they never do), and you can get into the game quicker.

The cons to this is that you cannot join friends as easily (8 player party system only), you cannot play on your favorite server, ping and region issues arise, and map rotation info is unavailable to players

In theory, skill based matchmaking systems sound great, but in reality, it is going to be a mess on PC.

On console, this is a whole different subject. I have heard skill based matchmaking works on console better.

Here is a video I watched this morning by JACKFRAGS. He got a few other YouTubers together to discuss the subject and I found it very interesting and informative. Here is the video if you guys wanna check it out:

Star Wars Battlefront has no server browser - Is this a big deal?
https://youtu.be/xSUrOHXFUG4

So, what do you guys think?

September 04, 2015, 06:56:06 PM #13 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:12:08 PM by Led
From that video, it sounds like no community servers either.  Well, that is a disappointment.

If that is the case, this game is serving the lowest common denominator.  Star Wars McDonalds   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

If what was said in the video leads to be the final product of the game, then it only seems obvious that this is a release using an award-winning video game title so that profit could be made. That's just my opinion.

Does anyone else find it odd how this game has been in the works for so long? Considering the amount of things they said they aren't going to have in this game (that they included in previous games like the Battlefield series), don't you think that maybe this game hasn't been a priority? Seems to me like the product they keep explaining to us is just going to be a real kick in the pants for Star Wars videogames.
Sure, the game looks good. Sure, the gameplay might be wonderful. But what happens when a game has no community environment? If a community comes up, it'll be whatever happens on the forums.

Let's face it. The producers want to get their first step into Competitive gaming. Skill-Based matchmaking without community servers? Heck, if I wanted that, I'd go back to playing League of Legends. Which is exactly my point- they are trying to make this a competitive game for competitive gamers. There isn't variety in the options; There is simply a game that is being built so it can get carried into the ESL, while EA kicks back and watches all the sponsorship money roll in.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper