Clearing up space (Solved)

Started by khy, May 30, 2009, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 30, 2009, 06:11:04 AM Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:38:50 PM by invertus
Well im going to get Sims3, and i want to clear up space, and things to make it maybe not to laggy.
I have 26GB left out of 80. What can i delete?

May 30, 2009, 06:53:36 AM #1 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:23:25 PM by Mac
Quote from: "Khyler"Well im going to get Sims3, and i want to clear up space, and things to make it maybe not to laggy.
I have 26GB left out of 80. What can i delete?

It doesn't matter how much space you have left on your hard drive. It's your RAM and CPU processor, etc. I don't know how big Sims 3 is but it will definitely fit on your hard drive. As for things to delete, you can open your Macintosh HD off of desktop, locate
System and delete that.* It's 4.1 gigabytes for me.

*I am not responsible for any damage done to your computer. No charges may be filed or lawsuits be pursued.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS

Er, pardon my ignorance, but isn't that where OSX is actually installed and based? Have you actually attempted to delete this before giving Khyler advice that could potentially wipe out his computer?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

There's an app called Clean My Mac that will delete several unnecessary caches, universal language files, etc. The demo only allows you to delete 200 megabytes, but if you're smart, you can find a way around the limit :)

*i was able to delete 7 gigs of stuff using that app. It's quite useful.

May 30, 2009, 12:46:17 PM #4 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:23:10 PM by Mac
Quote from: "Jedikiller"Er, pardon my ignorance, but isn't that where OSX is actually installed and based? Have you actually attempted to delete this before giving Khyler advice that could potentially wipe out his computer?

I've deleted some file in the past that was like that because my computer was losing memory. I think it's the system X but I'm not sure. I'll give it a go on another computer that's worthless and see what happens.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS

With all due respect, deleting the system folder is the stupid thing I've heard. It is named the SYSTEM folder for a reason.

My advice is to get a new hard drive. You'll just delete more and more files as you will always fill up those 80 GB. I bought myself a 1 TB hard drive just because of that (Got it for 50 bucks, if you look hard, you can find a good deal like that). You will never find enough space, trust me.

Well, if you KNOW you have a lot of junk in the computer, then you know what to do with it.

#TYBG

thought you stopped playing video games?

Delete old versions of things, maybe clean iTunes? And their must be some way to get all that chinese language stuff of your comp. I dunno how though.

The best way to get rid of languages and localization is not to install it pretty much, its the only way you'll ever get it all off. - that being said i wouldn't say its taking up a huge ammount of space, your best bet is to go with what Tomas said, get a new Hardrive.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Lol iblade Sims3 is different.
Im not sure Aeria, i do have enough space, im just worried about the lag.

Even my Camino lags a lot sometimes, and its probably because tim helped me get leopard for cod4. Im just afraid itll be all buggy.

This isn't a HD Space issue then, it's a hardware issue. Lagging in Camino is not a good sign.

Since we can't upgrade our Mac hardware and instead have to buy a whole new one (which is why I have ONE good mac cause I'm not gonna buy another one), I'd say get a PC or get a REALLY good mac, so it'll last you.

Remember, Macs are 4x the cost of PCs, so be smart.

#TYBG

lol I Have only 6 GB left! something like that
and at this point my computer works better then ever! :P

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Luckily i've got about 41 GB left on my hard drive.

"Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours."

Guys, i don't care how much you have.

I believe it's laggy because of what i did with Tim to get leopard.

I have 160GB free :D Languages are always the first thing to go :)

Quote from: "Khyler"Guys, i don't care how much you have.

I believe it's laggy because of what i did with Tim to get leopard.

Explain further into the bolded statement.