Rolling vs Jumping

Started by Phobos, September 06, 2013, 11:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which tactic do you think is more defensively effective?

Rolling
20 (71.4%)
Jumping
8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

September 06, 2013, 11:54:55 PM Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:56:32 PM by Phobos
Well this is a simple question with many answers, which tactic do you think is most effective for evading enemy fire? You can answer both or neither but I only included the first two options in the poll for the sake of accuracy.

Edit: the poll should only allow 1 vote not 2 can a moderator fix this?

I find rolling very ineffective..
I almost always get away with jumping. (This is for multiplayer, singleplayer both are fine.)

September 07, 2013, 01:08:09 AM #2 Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:10:13 AM by tirpider
We all know I am not the best.
Both leave you quite vulnerable.  I have used both with equal amounts of success.

I said jumping because the roll is kind predictable. The jump is too, but if I am in my groove and see feet in the air, I just know where to point the blaster.

Jumping will bob your head around. It seems like you could turn what would have been a head shot into a body shot (at worst) or a miss (at best).

I would say it depends how you do it. If an enemy rocket is close by you, most people try rolling and jumping - panicking. Which leaves them slightly defenseless. But you can time both so you just avoid the actual rocket. So I'd say it depends on the position you are in. But as that is not on the poll I'd go for both.

I find that jumping is generally better when there are lot of low obstacles involved, it can be used to bring the third dimension into play if there are higher surfaces to be reached.
Rolling at close quarters can be used to confuse the enemy and reduce the visible hit box.

They both have their merits, but I do like roll-chaining (or whatever technical term you give it) when you quickly adjust the direction of the roll to create a sort of single flowing movement... right?
It looks good, and it often buys you time when the enemy tries to figure out what kind of madness has possessed you.

Rolling, no doubt! Only rollyng may fastly replace your unit, from grenade explosion damage radius, to the safe place. Jumping just make him, fly higher, before he die. It's also more effective against missile. You just need to let them come closer...
Perhaps, the only sense of jumping - do not let human player, target at you. Still, after watching a lot of gameplay video, I think, you can't trick professionals by this. It's only may add to gameplay some unrealistic looks: any real human, just can't jumping all the time! :D
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

I would say rolling long range and jumping in close up fights. I always jump when fighting rockets though as they tend to shoot the floor.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

(This is my Singleplayer only opinion)

Rolling. The SWBFI AI seem to shoot where you are at the moment they fire their gun. If you roll then you evade the shot, but if you jump then you are in the same place and could get hit. Jumping is effective for Droideka's and you of course have to jump when you want to use your jump/jet pack.

I roll more because you also move a little faster while evading and it doesn't take you a long time to recover.

SWBFII? Jumping would be more effective since the AI shoot where they think you will go. And you might roll right into their rocket/lazer.

SWBFII online? Anything goes. They both work effectively. But so does the respawn button in the menu. :P

I just love teasing the turrets in BFI, then shoot exactly where they think you'll go..
If you hit left and right very very fast and slowly walk up to them and shoot them with a pistol very slowly..
They will always miss, and you get the kill. It seems BFI is over-correcting with its AIs.

September 07, 2013, 10:31:49 AM #9 Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:36:39 AM by [FC]Kishan
matrix rolling lol

both are equal imo. rolling is better when there's cover because it's quicker and jumping better in open space at close range or around edges because you can slide or jump over the enemy plus if he is close when you jump u can jump around them which makes it harder to hit you.

I voted rolling just because I think jumping is so easy to kill since once they land it's an easy kill. I know really stronger players are a different story but most people are easy to kill as soon as they land from a jump

Rolling because you have an extremely high chance of glitching online and will not take any damage. At least, that's what I've noticed  :tease:

Well if I were playing BF1 I would say jumpin but in BF2 since you can roll forwards I say roll
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I think jumping is more effective in general. But rolling has it's uses too. For example on CC when up in the hallway, rolling out to one side or the other is quicker than trying to jump out of the line of fire. And a mixture of both jumping and rolling can be very effective, too, especially if you are facing multiple enemies at the same time and/or need to evade incoming rounds while you are reloading.

I always go for jumping myself, because more often than not people easily lead their fire and keep hitting me when I'm rolling. I find jumping to be useful especially if there are bits of low cover I can leap over.
Then again, hitting spacebar is just a panic reflex for me.

<insert witty signature here>