Why GAMESPY Servers have been shutdown?

Started by FieroBull, September 16, 2013, 12:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
:lucasarts:    :rant: :starwarsbattlefrontgamers:   :bye:
Hi im a semi-professional gif maker.
If anyone is interested on gifs, send me a pm or
xfire message!

Quote from: Phobos on September 16, 2013, 06:48:44 PM
I'm not sure if it was all GLU or if LucasArts asked them to shut down the BF1 master servers because the contract for them had expired. The same will happen to BF2 servers eventually, but their community will be more prepared for it.

But Battlefront 2 has Steam, so they also have Steam servers right?

Quote from: Roxas on September 18, 2013, 12:32:58 PM
But Battlefront 2 has Steam, so they also have Steam servers right?
idk, i dont play bf2 online

The gamespy stuff is coded in the exe for SWBF. It would have to be re-written to become compatible with steam.

That, or steam would have to magically become gamespy compatible (ie, make their own OpenSpy thing and make their own master server software.)

I can't imagine them doing that without someone paying them to do it. And I don't see EA paying Steam to do anything.

Quote from: tirpider on September 18, 2013, 02:02:41 PM
The gamespy stuff is coded in the exe for SWBF. It would have to be re-written to become compatible with steam.

That, or steam would have to magically become gamespy compatible (ie, make their own OpenSpy thing and make their own master server software.)

I can't imagine them doing that without someone paying them to do it. And I don't see EA paying Steam to do anything.

I thought any game available on Steam has access to their own servers.

SWBFII has the gamespy servers and that's it. Steam players, CD players and DVD players all play on the same server. Assuming they are on 1.1. In fact there is no 1.0 Steam version of SWBFII.

I'm not sure why people say that SWBFII online is dying, it's not. There are rooms with at least 10 people (that aren't Hero Assult) every night. Weekends there are full rooms of 42 people. I love playing SWBFII online.  :D

Quote from: Roxas on September 18, 2013, 02:27:18 PM
I thought any game available on Steam has access to their own servers.

SWBF would not be able to access any master servers if it was suddenly available on steam... It would still need to be modified by someone.

Quote from: tirpider on September 18, 2013, 02:51:43 PM
SWBF would not be able to access any master servers if it was suddenly available on steam... It would still need to be modified by someone.

Indeed, Steam is basically a software distribution mechanism.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet