gc, no cp
1 (8.3%)
bracket, cp
3 (25%)
bracket, no cp
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 27, 2014, 08:08:43 PM

I like the idea of randomizing who plays who and where. How to best do this depends on how many battles per week we can handle. If people are up to play each other team/clan every weekend, then gdh's idea is probably best. If people only want one battle per weekend, then Kelle/Phobos' idea of randomized choice is better.

This would mitigate clan drama a lot, I think, though not as much as if it were combined with randomized team assignments.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on June 14, 2014, 01:28:33 PM
4. Instead of the attacker/defender rules maybe just a simple no more than a 2 person advantage rule.
Strongly agree.

Quote from: Shazam on June 14, 2014, 03:30:34 PM
If we're going to have random teams compete, why don't we just bring back the ICA?
I don't follow; there are lots of differences.

June 14, 2014, 06:41:11 PM #16 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:50:22 PM by Shazam
Quote from: Oven on June 14, 2014, 06:25:49 PM
I don't follow; there are lots of differences.

In my opinion, an ICW4 should be clans competing for planetary control, like it has been in the other three wars.  Without the consistency, it wouldn't feel the same.  Call me a stickler for tradition, but it is called the Intergalactic Clan War, after all. 

If the main goal here is to get some organized battles going, I don't see why we can't start up a variant of the ICA.  It was working well, from what I saw.

-edit:  I apologize...that may have come across a little rude.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for any type of organized competition that we can get going.  I just-so-happen to be a fan of what we had going in the previous ICW's.

June 14, 2014, 07:12:15 PM #17 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:31:57 PM by ~PFA~PhantomBunny
The biggest issue I've seen is that although on some points people agree, for the most part they aren't sticking with the original problem.

Quote from: OvenWe should sort some things out now, though, like the rules. In this thread, vote on the following items:

1. Tournament / No tournament
2. Galactic conquest style layout (like before, with home planets etc.) / Led's non-clan-based idea / some other style (e.g. bracket; make suggestions)
3. CP / No CP / some mixture
4. always evenly matched battles / possible defender advantage on home planet / possible defender advantage on all planets / evenly matched after a certain minimum guarantee / .... etc.

Everything is up for discussion, but these are critical.

Instead of voting in a way that would be most productive, we discuss (in circles) before we know what the most popular opinion is! If we could vote then discuss what is left once we vote, I think this would run much more smoothly.

I think ~PFA~ may be interested in competing. I will hopefully have a discussion with Majesty on monday to be sure.

1.Tournament
2.Bracket
3. No CP for the final brackets, the team with the last renforcements should win
4. Even matches throughout
Crazy people do not know they are crazy. I know that I am crazy, therefore I'm not crazy!! Isn't that crazy?!?

June 14, 2014, 10:26:02 PM #18 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:35:25 PM by Oven
Quote from: Syyy on June 14, 2014, 04:50:11 PM
Rep/CIS/Emp/Reb assignment seems to be a good idea. You get to create relatively fair teams ( due to the randomness of players ) and use the possibilities of the game to its full potential. Since each teams are assigned to one side, they will probably use different units ( depending on the rules ).
Yeah, but it also introduces built-in inequality to the tournament, which I think it's better to minimize as much as possible.

Quote from: Shazam on June 14, 2014, 06:41:11 PM
In my opinion, an ICW4 should be clans competing for planetary control, like it has been in the other three wars.  Without the consistency, it wouldn't feel the same.  Call me a stickler for tradition, but it is called the Intergalactic Clan War, after all. 

If the main goal here is to get some organized battles going, I don't see why we can't start up a variant of the ICA.  It was working well, from what I saw.

-edit:  I apologize...that may have come across a little rude.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for any type of organized competition that we can get going.  I just-so-happen to be a fan of what we had going in the previous ICW's.

I understand and sympathize. I wish a clan tourney could work, and mentally I can imagine  a clan tourney working like a well-oiled machine. However, the odds of this seem low. Our goal is to create the most fun tournament possible. But I'm absolutely not ruling out clans. We have weeks to spread the word, and decide.

I think there are important differences between what's been discussed so far and the ICA, for example, a focused tournament with a definite start, end, and winner arrests attention in a way that the ICA can't. But again, not ruling it out. For those who don't know, the ICA was a very laissez-faire system where any clan or group of players could challenge any other clan/group to a battle, and pick their own conditions, rules, maps, etc.

June 20, 2014, 08:08:40 PM #19 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:46:56 PM by Oven
I'm going to stay officially neutral about clans vs random teams for now. There's more controversy than is revealed by the postings in this thread alone, so I guess I need to talk to people individually.

But unofficially, I am really skeptical that a clan tournament can work.

Gdh's suggestion that sides be equal up to a 2-person difference seems best.

--Galactic conquest vs bracket seems to be worth polling for, so please vote (top of page).

If we do galactic conquest, there will be a fairly large map list as before, with carefully chosen maps.
If we do bracket, the map list will be smaller, and maybe not even containing mod maps.

What should the merc rules be? My vote is: 2-to-1 ratio, with no other restrictions, assuming random teams. If we do clans, we'll probably have to keep a list which tracks the history of each player, like after week 4.

June 20, 2014, 09:46:36 PM #20 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:55:29 PM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: Oven on June 20, 2014, 08:08:40 PM
I'm going to stay officially neutral about clans vs random teams for now. There's more controversy than is revealed by the postings in this thread alone, so I guess I need to talk to people individually.

But unofficially, I am really skeptical that a clan tournament can work.

Gdh's suggestion that sides be equal up to a 2-person difference seems best.

--Galactic conquest vs bracket seems to be worth polling for, so please vote (top of page).

If we do galactic conquest, there will be a fairly large map list as before, with carefully chosen maps.
If we do bracket, the map list will be smaller, and maybe not even containing mod maps.

What should the merc rules be? My vote is: 2-to-1 ratio, with no other restrictions. The randomized teams means that "ganging up" should not be an issue.

Doesn't "[t]he randomized teams means that 'ganging up' should not be an issue" assume randomized teams rather than clan versus clan?  Would mercs be necessary in a randomized team scenario?  What happens if someone wants in after the teams have been randomly assigned?

Quote from: BlackScorpion on June 20, 2014, 09:46:36 PM
Doesn't "[t]he randomized teams means that 'ganging up' should not be an issue" assume randomized teams rather than clan versus clan?  Would mercs be necessary in a randomized team scenario?  What happens if someone wants in after the teams have been randomly assigned?
Sorry, that's an artifact of my editing, I changed it. Mercs would still be desirable, I think, to let the most people play. When, not if, people want in after it starts, they can be distributed among the teams, with priority going to any teams having activity problems.

Interesting... Clans sound much more fun. It increases competition, and the agruments add to the excitement of winning, in my opinion. Don't know if there are enough active clans, though. I think you guys should follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on radar. Almost no way to enforce it anyway, players usually use the mods they desire, so it's pretty pointless to make rules on radar. All teams should be fair in my opinion, a 10vs2 battle is pointless, and no fun, unless you just want to win the whole tournament, but; oh wow you won by outnumbering... Haha. Not really any fun in that.

June 23, 2014, 04:39:34 PM #23 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:42:21 PM by Oven
I'd want to be sure that enough clans could even participate. I'm pretty sure BoB and PFA would join. FC I think needs more specific info about rules before deciding. Are there any other possibilities?

Would 212 play? If not, would 212 consider joining together with snp?

June 23, 2014, 06:13:26 PM #24 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:23:48 PM by Oven
The ICW4 will be a clan tournament. I'll make a rough draft of rules sometime in the next few days. And a reminder: Week 1 begins July 13th, with the first battles on July 18th. I anticipate 6 weeks.

Obviously, there should be a YAK clan. There needs to be solid leadership for YAK - any volunteers?

Quote from: Oven on June 23, 2014, 06:13:26 PM
Obviously, there should be a YAK clan. There needs to be solid leadership for YAK - any volunteers?

I will most likely be the head representative for YAK, and gdh92 has agreed to help me organize things.  We're looking for at least one more person to help us organize, because I may not be able to attend very many battles.  I will be able to check SWBFgamers every day regularly, though.

I'll make a YAK recruitment thread sometime today.