CORUSCANT Mapping Contest!

Started by Kit Fisto, May 14, 2013, 06:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 14, 2013, 06:15:43 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:19:23 PM by Kit Fisto
Hello everyone! I am announcing my first ever mapping contest! This is the

Here are the rules:

1) The map must be original, no ports of any SWBFII maps or copying of SWBFI maps. You can use any assets you find to create the map though.

2) The map must have stock sides. This is so that people can focus on the map design and not get distracted by the sides.

3) The map must be submitted by August 1st. That is more than 2 months so that you can create an amazing map!

Now here is a couple things that might give you an extra +1 when the judges judge your map!

1) Give the GCW units their correct stock skins, last I checked the Rebels didn't wear desert clothes on Coruscant. In short, make a custom mission.lvl for your map.  ;)

2) AI pathing, hint nodes for AI involving snipers mine layings etc. No AI running into walls or getting stuck. Make sure the AI can fight an entire round of the map on their own in a reasonable amount of time.

3) A mini map and a movie at the map selection screen.

Oh and I should mention that I think the most amazing Coruscant maps ever made are Rends Coruscant City and Streets.  ;)

There you have it! The Coruscant Mapping Contest, deadline August 1st.

Nice idea, but, I think, your term (2 month), is unreal. To create nice, new map, you need at least 2 years :D.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

I think you over estimate the zeal of our mappers...
I dare say they would sooner collaborate on one singular amazing map than to compete against each other.

Plus Rend's Coruscant is really pretty good.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Oh, well, I wish, I cud be wrong, and here is still exist modders, brave enough, to except such challenge.
Still, I am afraid, soonish school exam, and summer camping, may ruin the "party" anyway.

By the way, Coruscant: Skyline Assets, was also released, by CressAlbane.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Why not just work as a team to create one spectatcular courasaunt map for battlefront? Someone could make skins, one person makes props, another person textures ect. I think that would be more realistic, heck if someone were to give me the mesh and skins files I could  help in the HD skin department.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: 411Remnant on May 15, 2013, 12:14:01 PM
Why not just work as a team to create one spectatcular courasaunt map for battlefront? Someone could make skins, one person makes props, another person textures ect. I think that would be more realistic, heck if someone were to give me the mesh and skins files I could  help in the HD skin department.

I agree with 411Remnant's idea, it would be pretty epic to do. Although the last time the community attempted a modmap like that, Unit's massive CC project didn't work out. But hey, who knows, maybe this one might actually work out for a change with minimal to no errors! :P

I think it's a good idea to not get hung up on the sides.
So much subtlety and possible variations of stats, skins, balance, ect... A person could work on a Tusken Raider side for years before getting anything released... Meanwhile, a lonely map sits in ZeroEdit, waiting to be perfected and sieged upon.

If it has good management with everyone on the same page, it could very well work out. I think step one would be to decide on the setting and vote for the best concept/idea. Personally I always thought medium sized TDM envorement would work best for a courasaunt map.

Perhaps inspiration from this video? A map similiar but much smaller in size.

We should be open to lots of other ideas tohugh, why not find a good corasaunt reference so we can start voting.

Quote from: 411Remnant on May 15, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
If it has good management with everyone on the same page, it could very well work out. I think step one would be to decide on the setting and vote for the best concept/idea. Personally I always thought medium sized TDM envorement would work best for a courasaunt map.

Perhaps inspiration from this video? A map similiar but much smaller in size.

We should be open to lots of other ideas tohugh, why not find a good corasaunt reference so we can start voting.

I don't know, I think a large map-size would be perfect for Coruscant. Of course though, I'm more for the maps like Sereja has with all the beauty and such, not for the bare-bones-TDM-style maps. I was thinking (if even possible), we could do an SWBF3-styled map, merge ground and space into one huge map!

But hey, it's just a suggestion. :P

I personally don't mind large maps, but with large maps come the possibilitie of lag. You want to make something that anyone with a slow pc and high end pc can run. Something medium sized would probably work best, less work and less time to get it done maybe. Maybe.... maybe we could attempt to re-created this map in bf3...or maybe im crazy lol. Im sure there are other ideas you gentlemen could come up with.

If you guys want to collaborate on a map instead that would be fine. I just thought I would make some sort of fun competition to lighten the mood, but I guess not.

About large/medium maps this is what I think. If you are going to make a large map model it after successful maps or fun large maps. Geonosis: Spire or Hoth: Echo Base are perfect examples, even Naboo: Plains! All of the large stock SWBFI large maps are fun. Or you can study Rends Coruscant: City or Abridon: City. Those are large maps but fun with or without vehicles. The key is to make the large map fun without vehicles, then add vehicles to make the map even better. You have to have terrain differences or plenty of cover. Flat maps with no props or anything are boring.

I personally like Medium maps more, they just seem to be more fun. They seem to be better made.

So is this officially turning into a Coruscant mapping project?

I think yes.

So we think of a setting then?

My vote is for a day time courasant map, kinda based when the seperatisit forces attack courasant. It would be different from rends map because it will have debris and destroyed parts of structures on some areas. We could have ships props in the sky flying by simulating the aerial battles.

I kind of like Sunset Coruscant, like what you see in Episode III.

I couldn't find any good pictures but this is close: [spoiler][/spoiler]

Wow, that looks beautiful. Wouldn't mind something like that.