Battlefront EXE has stopped working

Started by Carbon27, July 18, 2014, 03:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I was going to play so Battlefront a little bit ago and everything went fine until I joined a server (The open FC training server) and the game crashed right before the map started to load. I thought it was just a random happening until I tried it again. A crash. Tried it again on PLA server, it crashed at the same time. Then I tried SP. Same thing. Then I tried compatibility mode, and the same. thing. happened. So I downloaded another copy of the gamemaster exe. I tried to uninstall until it told me I had already installed it. Guess what! Now I can't even get to the menu!   :P  I have had issues like this before with other games (BF1942 for example) but compatibility mode fixed them, well at least for now. It doesn't seem to be the case with SWBF. I haven't done any changes to my PC or SWBF between my last SWBF game and when this happened.

My PC is a windows 8.1 64 bit.

Any help is appreciated. I don't know where to start and I am still uncomfortable with windows 8 and don't want to mess anything up without proper help.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Check to make sure that you have tat3 in the Addon folder.

Check to make sure you have stock mission and sides.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Yup and yes.

This just got much, much worse. I tried playing BF1942 to pass the time, and I got the EXE has stopped working. I got a little scared, but that has happened before so it calmed me a bit. Then I tried NHL 08, and...       EXE has stopped working. What really angers me is that I am no longer playing on my old crappy windows XP, I am using a 1K gaming PC. Joy...

Go through your security and firewall settings and see if anything might be stopping you from playing the games. Then try uninstalling the games and reinstalling them. After that I would recommend a tech support call, say goodbye to 5hrs of your life.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Something obvious: have u tried restarting ur PC ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

July 18, 2014, 03:54:25 PM #5 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:01:30 PM by Gamma
Have you tried punching your computer? I'm just kidding. I'll look for something on Google. Everything is on Google.
=EDIT= Google isnt working for me. :( Sorry Im no help
Nothing is written here...

Tried to write something under CODs post, but then I got the Internet Explorer EXE has stopped working (Kidding)  I hit the X instead of window button...          having a really bad day today. And What I was going to say was that I restarted it once and nothing, restarted it a 2nd time and I got one game to work and then I quit, reloaded it and it died on me again. Then I restarted it again and it isn't crashing as much. Works almost half the time.

Something else I was going to put....      oh yeah, Xbox support ruined my willingness to try tech support without major need. They suggested I completely wipe my hard drive, resetting all my data, and saved games over a DLC not functioning properly. (Grid 2 complete DLC pack for xbox 360 for anyone wondering) They where kinda surprised I wasn't going to do that.

Quote from: Carbon27 on July 18, 2014, 04:05:19 PM
Tried to write something under CODs post, but then I got the Internet Explorer EXE has stopped working (Kidding)  I hit the X instead of window button...          having a really bad day today. And What I was going to say was that I restarted it once and nothing, restarted it a 2nd time and I got one game to work and then I quit, reloaded it and it died on me again. Then I restarted it again and it isn't crashing as much. Works almost half the time.

Something else I was going to put....      oh yeah, Xbox support ruined my willingness to try tech support without major need. They suggested I completely wipe my hard drive, resetting all my data, and saved games over a DLC not functioning properly. (Grid 2 complete DLC pack for xbox 360 for anyone wondering) They where kinda surprised I wasn't going to do that.
It's just protesting your use of IE
Try pushing all the buttons.  Make sure all the buttons work.
So it's only games that are crashing? Nothing else? How are you launching the games?

Quote from: Ltin on July 18, 2014, 06:36:34 PM
It's just protesting your use of IE
Try pushing all the buttons.  Make sure all the buttons work.
So it's only games that are crashing? Nothing else? How are you launching the games?

I actually kinda like IE, well, more then I thought I would.  :)

Only games. Through the desktop icons, and the DVD RW drive button in "this PC".  It seems to be working better. Only in game issues is that the games crash more often and randomly and sometimes go to ridiculously low framerates, as low as 3 fps. Only for a few seconds though.

I usually open it up from the .exe in the folder or in Steam where I have them directly linked to the .exe. So try directly opening the .exe and if that doesn't work im out of ideas other that a phone call to tech support.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Have you run any Antivirus scan recently?
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on July 18, 2014, 07:03:49 PM
I usually open it up from the .exe in the folder or in Steam where I have them directly linked to the .exe. So try directly opening the .exe and if that doesn't work im out of ideas other that a phone call to tech support.
That's what he's doing -_-

July 18, 2014, 09:13:26 PM #11 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:18:17 PM by aeria.
Only games?

GPU issue perhaps? My best bet. Try a driver update and see what happens.

If your normal apps start crashing spontaneously or on startup, it can be pinpointed to an unstable CPU clock speed or an outright faulty hard drive.

However if only games are crashing, I'd like to say it's the GPU.

#TYBG

July 19, 2014, 12:09:21 AM #12 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:12:10 AM by UltraXPowerGuy
Quote from: Carbon27 on July 18, 2014, 03:33:13 PM
So I was going to play so Battlefront a little bit ago and everything went fine until I joined a server (The open FC training server) and the game crashed right before the map started to load. I thought it was just a random happening until I tried it again. A crash. Tried it again on PLA server, it crashed at the same time. Then I tried SP. Same thing. Then I tried compatibility mode, and the same. thing. happened. So I downloaded another copy of the gamemaster exe. I tried to uninstall until it told me I had already installed it. Guess what! Now I can't even get to the menu!   :P  I have had issues like this before with other games (BF1942 for example) but compatibility mode fixed them, well at least for now. It doesn't seem to be the case with SWBF. I haven't done any changes to my PC or SWBF between my last SWBF game and when this happened.

My PC is a windows 8.1 64 bit.
Hey there, I have a couple solutions that might work. Go to Task Manager (Crtl+Alt+Delete) and go to process. Run the game, and exit to desktop without exiting the game. Click the process of Star Wars Battlefront (something like that) and right-click it. Click Set Affinity and tweak the CPU 1 through CPU 4. Keep some checked and some not checked to meet your standards. This problem is caused by shutting down the game with out quiting resulting in registry files to get messed up, since the process did not close properly. A other common solution for Windows 7 and 8 is the sound. For me, I can't start a level in SWBF2 without plugging something in the microphone jack. Try plugging in anything in the microphone jack right after starting the game. A alternative and easier solution is to go to Control Panel and go to Sound. Go to recordings and click the right mouse button in the box, and click "Show disabled stuff" than locate Stero mix and enable it. For me, this trick worked with pretty much all my games that randomly crashes. A good solution for fixing all your games, I highly reccomend CCleaner. CCleaner cleans all your registry files and organizes them so you won't get much errors. In addition to that, CCleaner helps reduce crash's and errors by fixing all the process in the Task Manager. If for some miracle, none of this works, the only explanation is that you recently installed some hardware or some program that contains a virus and is pretty much, pwning your computer. A other common thing that people do that results in errors, is that they delete something that was in the process tree of the program and in turn, the program is actually missing (let's say for example a dll.file) it pretty much affects the program with crash's and errors. I hope that this stuff helps you. If not than, your best bet is to reinstall everything. Later  :happy:

I'm going outright and say that there's next to zero problems force quitting games... it won't even cause registry problems. That's BS.

However I will agree that sound hardware and deleting .dll files are both plausible reasons.

I wouldn't suggest tweaking Affinity but it's worth trying.

#TYBG

July 20, 2014, 12:09:43 PM #14 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:16:05 PM by Carbon27
So to update you to what happened today:

Nothing happened in the morning, played some SWBF, switched games to BF1942. Stopped playing, went to play SWBF, and it crashed. Restarted my PC, and it worked. Played SWBF, and then played BF1942. Went back to SWBF and crashed. I wonder of BF1942 is causing it, but, I don't understand why. Would uninstalling it and reinstalling mean I have to re-download the update? If it does I will postpone doing this. I haven't restarted the PC yet but after I write this I will do it, then most likely everything will work again. I plan on not playing BF1942 for the rest of the day and Monday to see if that changes anything.

Quote from: aeria. on July 18, 2014, 09:13:26 PM
Only games?

GPU issue perhaps? My best bet. Try a driver update and see what happens.

If your normal apps start crashing spontaneously or on startup, it can be pinpointed to an unstable CPU clock speed or an outright faulty hard drive.

However if only games are crashing, I'd like to say it's the GPU.

It is possible, but I would hate to do something drastic like replacing the CPU until I have tried everything else.

My normal apps run fine so far.

Also I highly doubt it is the EXE's fault, I have been thinking something isn't working and just says the EXE issue.

I am really hoping this a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Also I should try a virus scan as someone suggested.