Laptop overheat from SWBF2

Started by Gold Man, February 23, 2013, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 23, 2013, 05:21:35 AM Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:16:58 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
I know I seem to be copying off jdee's post by doing this, :P  but it has been going for a while. I play SWBF a lot, and I rarely (if ever) overheat. However, when I play SWBF2 for an hour or 2, it always cuts mid-game (regardless if server hosting or not). I don't know why though! Help!

Just so nobody refers this:

Yes, I have a cooling pad. It is on a very cool surface, and the fan is 1 big one.

Also, tech specs: HP Pavillion DV3Z, AMD Turion 64 x2 dual-core processor, ATI Radeon graphics, Windows Vista OS

Please note: I am a cheapskate, I don't have the money to blow on a bunch of top-of-the-line stuff to keep my laptop running, so some low-tech solution or something that involves least amount of money is key to me!

AND YES, I AM AWARE OF THE IRONY OF A MAN OF GOLD BEING CHEAP!

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on February 23, 2013, 05:21:35 AM
I know I seem to be copying off jdee's post by doing this, :P  but it has been going for a while. I play SWBF a lot, and I rarely (if ever) overheat. However, when I play SWBF2 for an hour or 2, it always cuts mid-game (regardless if server hosting or not). I don't know why though! Help!

Just so nobody refers this:

Yes, I have a cooling pad. It is on a very cool surface, and the fan is 1 big one.

Also, tech specs: HP Pavillion DV3Z, AMD Turion 64 x2 dual-core processor, ATI Radeon graphics, Windows Vista OS
Swbf2 doeant like dual core processors. You can disable one and it will work fine, but i dont know how to do that.

Play swbf1 instead?  :tu:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

February 23, 2013, 09:36:23 AM #3 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:39:28 AM by Ltin
1 issue with that.
galactic conquest sucks in swbf1. Besides, his clan is mostly swbf2 now.
the issue with the processors is that the game tries to overload one of the processors, and when it cant handle it, the game shuts down. Its not overheating.
edit, and to disable it all you need to do is a little clicking, ill try to find out how to do that.

Quote from: Ltin on February 23, 2013, 09:36:23 AM
1 issue with that.
galactic conquest sucks in swbf1. Besides, his clan is mostly swbf2 now.
the issue with the processors is that the game tries to overload one of the processors, and when it cant handle it, the game shuts down. Its not overheating.
edit, and to disable it all you need to do is a little clicking, ill try to find out how to do that.

Out of curiosity, would you be able to that for specifically SWBF2? My laptop runs SWBF1 perfectly, it just has issues with SWBF2.

My swbf runs well too on laptop. I played swbf2 a couple of times but recently when I try to join a game I crash...

March 06, 2013, 04:55:57 PM #6 Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:58:56 PM by Ltin
edit: i saw you fixed it

March 06, 2013, 05:14:44 PM #7 Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:57:48 PM by Roxas
Quote from: Erudite on March 06, 2013, 04:33:14 AM
My swbf runs well too on laptop. I played swbf2 a couple of times but recently when I try to join a game I crash...
Recently? That's strange. Because even though I fixed it by turning compatibility mode on (at the cost of my profile....). My copy of SWBF2 had been working perfectly up till recently as well. I just find it odd that a handful of us suddenly have the same problem around the same time.

do you have a gateway laptop? For me I think it's because all I play is swbf and then when I try any other game I crash....

Quote from: Roxas on March 06, 2013, 05:14:44 PM
I just find it odd that a handful of us suddenly have the same problem around the same time.
Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing.. One of my friends on BF2 and me are crashing all the time for no reason, as is my brother.. It only started recently.

Quote from: Erudite on March 06, 2013, 05:27:09 PM
do you have a gateway laptop? For me I think it's because all I play is swbf and then when I try any other game I crash....

Same here, or at least similar. I've played SWBF1 on this laptop for 3 years total, and the thing itself is 5. However when I play SWBF2, it always overheats on my laptop after 1-2 hours of gameplay. Even when I was playing Minecraft Classic for a bit on here, it still overheated after 90 mins or so. I assumed it was since my laptop was so used to running this game, but if there's some way to solve the issue, please tell me.

As I stated above, mine is a HP Pavillion DV3Z. It is not a Gateway.

Ah, they found out about our plan to spread the tunngle word  :panic:

Please, please do not buy an HP laptop. You can buy their desktops, their printers, anything else. Just keep away from the laptops. They're terribly designed and an overwhelming amount of their models have overheating and quality control issues. You can ask any technician that has been repairing computer for long enough.

The only thing you can do is decrease the video settings. It'll take the workload off of your laptop and it will fair better. If you're overheating from Minecraft, you know there's an issue with your computer.

As for the "dual core" issue, I don't have any direct benchmarks showing how well it handles under dual core processors but I will mention that my old Core 2 Duo T7700 (mid-2007 2.4 dual core) with an ATI HD 2600 ran the game well. No signs of instability from my experience. My newer Sandy Bridge Pentium G860 (a modern dual core, but still a dual core) also runs the game very smoothly. Paired with a GTX 570 it runs on max settings without any framerate drops. I can't say anything about the AMD counterparts.

#TYBG

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on March 06, 2013, 05:45:36 PM
Same here, or at least similar. I've played SWBF1 on this laptop for 3 years total, and the thing itself is 5. However when I play SWBF2, it always overheats on my laptop after 1-2 hours of gameplay. Even when I was playing Minecraft Classic for a bit on here, it still overheated after 90 mins or so. I assumed it was since my laptop was so used to running this game, but if there's some way to solve the issue, please tell me.

As I stated above, mine is a HP Pavillion DV3Z. It is not a Gateway.
how are you running classic? Like through the web or what?

Quote from: Ltin on March 06, 2013, 06:24:59 PM
how are you running classic? Like through the web or what?

On the website, yes. I'm guessing since it's processing a game while using wifi would be an issue that would cause that.

I also tried decreasing the video settings (like literally, I had them super low). It works alright I guess, but after 2-3 hours it just overheats and quits.

Also, we got the thing on a low price (we bought it as it was a later model, hence the 2 year gap between the model itself and me playing on it).  As far as a laptop though, any ideas for a good one? I'm not exactly a guy with tons of money to spend (we paid $500 CDN for this one), but just some laptop in the range of $200-$500 would be nice. Also, I like my laptops compact (it's a 13-inch we have).