Internet problem

Started by Black Water, November 30, 2012, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi, Sunday I was playing on gameranger and then all of a sudden my PC shutdown. It has something to do with my firewall because it said something about a virus. Since then i couldnt connect to the internet. I am a windows vista. Any tips?

Quote from: {212}Mart on November 30, 2012, 02:05:10 PM
Hi, Sunday I was playing on gameranger and then all of a sudden my PC shutdown. It has something to do with my firewall because it said something about a virus. Since then i couldnt connect to the internet. I am a windows vista. Any tips?
What Virus did it mention? Spyware, Trojan, Keylogger
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

November 30, 2012, 02:13:47 PM #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:25:36 PM by {212}Mart
Also in Windows Network Diagnostics it says: Windows confirmed that "Primary DNS server" is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time. This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "domain". Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection. .....then it gives me two options: -The following policy might need to be adjusted to allow windows to connect: Policy Provider: McAfee Inc. Filter name: GUID_MFE_CONNECT_CALLOUT_V4 If the policy provider identified is windows firewall, click for information about adjusting windows firewall settings. If a diffrent policy provider has been identified, check the provider's documentation on how to adjust the policy settings.        -Reset the network adapter "Local Area Connetion 2" Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem.     I tried the 2nd option, no luck. The 1st option i can't manage to find the file :/ , McAfee is my security system. @sharpshot, no , the pc shut down to quickly so the virus wouldn't enter :(

Quote from: {212}Mart on November 30, 2012, 02:13:47 PM
Also in Windows Network Diagnostics it says: Windows confirmed that "Primary DNS server" is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time. This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "domain". Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection.
Doesn't sound like a virus more like someone pulling a plug from your modem/router, worse case scenario you're being hacked.

Quote from: (212th)ComSharpshot on November 30, 2012, 02:15:50 PM
Doesn't sound like a virus more like someone pulling a plug from your modem/router, worse case scenario you're being hacked.
That's very unlikely. :)
Before you try anything else with internet always switch off your modem at the plug, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in. After you've done that wait a few minutes for it to reset then look at the connection icon and see if it has a red cross or a yellow triangle. If you think it's your firewall turn it off then try an online game (don't use internet explorer etc to test but a game should be safe from viruses). If you do go changing firewall settings take a screenshot first so you can always put them back how they were. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Suddenly shutting down in a video game doesn't sound like virus or firewall stuff.

Sounds like a memory or overheating issue to me.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on November 30, 2012, 02:31:35 PM
That's very unlikely. :)
Before you try anything else with internet always switch off your modem at the plug, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in. After you've done that wait a few minutes for it to reset then look at the connection icon and see if it has a red cross or a yellow triangle. If you think it's your firewall turn it off then try an online game (don't use internet explorer etc to test but a game should be safe from viruses). If you do go changing firewall settings take a screenshot first so you can always put them back how they were. :)
This exact thing happened to me... I pulled the internet cord right away, took it to Best Buy and they told me i got hacked, they said it came from music i downloaded, Have you downloaded any files latley Mart?

Hm, i might have unplugged it im not sure, all my cables are connected to this one thing with a lot of plug ins. i turned that off multiple times

Quote from: {212}Mart on November 30, 2012, 02:40:07 PM
Hm, i might have unplugged it im not sure, all my cables are connected to this one thing with a lot of plug ins. i turned that off multiple times
then that might be your problem!!!!!  :slap:

Eh, i'll try unplugging it but i think ive tried that. Iv'e only downloaded a few mods. The last one i downloaded was the CC skin changer but i doubt that's it since i downloaded that like 2 weeks ago

Quote from: {212}Mart on November 30, 2012, 02:46:59 PM
Eh, i'll try unplugging it but i think ive tried that. Iv'e only downloaded a few mods. The last one i downloaded was the CC skin changer but i doubt that's it since i downloaded that like 2 weeks ago
Try these things too:
1. Try holding the pwer button for your modem for 15 seconds, then restart/reboot your computer.
2. Or try calling your service provider, for assitance or possible check up.

Ive tried what you guys have said. no success :( , i already called a at &t guy. he said i needed a new box thing. but when i tried by myself the windows said the firewall  is blocking the internet, i just dont know how to unblock it :/

It because you're using AT&T

Are you using a wired connection to your PC? Also most modems have a reset button on the bottom that you can press with a pen tip.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Um, i have one of those Gray little boxes, with 5 lights. When they are green it means there is internet, etc. When they are red it means no internet. My computer says it's McAfee, my firewall, that is blocking my router thing from getting to the internet. I've turned my firewall off, but when i shut down the pc it is still on :?