Questions I Would Ask BattleBelk

Started by Phobos, October 11, 2011, 08:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Trust me just because I do not like to breach the EULA does not mean I have not tried that stuff it does not work.

oh. well, that was a waste of 30 minutes  :slap:.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Good find barc, I will be trying that program to look for a variable I can remove to disable or hide public/team chat in multi-player. I have 3 major hypotheses or approaches towards this goal.

I hear you talk about failure and wasting time and it's just pitiful to think you learned nothing from your experiments. Even in modding experiments where I failed I usually learned something else from it, and always documenting that, rather than say it was a waste of time and tell everyone to stop trying.

That being said I can expand on my 3 ideas as to how it might be possible to remove chat in MP:
1 - hex editing .script files in common/munged
2 - finding memory address pointers in cheat engine and creating a hack or trainer with an on/off switch
3 - somehow editing the decompiled source code using the program barc linked.

I will be testing all these methods to the best of my ability and whether I fail or not doesn't matter because the process of elimination will eventually provide the answer.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 15, 2011, 05:21:17 PM
Good find barc, I will be trying that program to look for a variable I can remove to disable or hide public/team chat in multi-player. I have 3 major hypotheses or approaches towards this goal.

I hear you talk about failure and wasting time and it's just pitiful to think you learned nothing from your experiments. Even in modding experiments where I failed I usually learned something else from it, and always documenting that, rather than say it was a waste of time and tell everyone to stop trying.

That being said I can expand on my 3 ideas as to how it might be possible to remove chat in MP:
1 - hex editing .script files in common/munged
2 - finding memory address pointers in cheat engine and creating a hack or trainer with an on/off switch
3 - somehow editing the decompiled source code using the program barc linked.

I will be testing all these methods to the best of my ability and whether I fail or not doesn't matter because the process of elimination will eventually provide the answer.

look, it's meant for C apps. and SWBF is apparently C++, so you'll really have no luck there. the program, as a a matter of fact, crashed on me when i tried to load the battlefront exe (in the 10 or so times i tried it)

Quote from: Bamdur on October 15, 2011, 06:16:08 PM
ITS CURMUDGEON TIME! :'(
??? huh?
Current Projects:

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 15, 2011, 05:21:17 PM

Don't go talking about waste of time and failure like that to me young lad. I would liek to see you come over here and take some time in my life before you tell me weather or not it is pitiful I classify that stuff as a waste of time.

Oh, and.

1 - hex editing .script files in common/munged - Won't work.
2 - finding memory address pointers in cheat engine and creating a hack or trainer with an on/off switch - Ilegal
3 - somehow editing the decompiled source code using the program barc linked. - Ilegal
Quote from: Bamdur on October 15, 2011, 06:16:08 PM
ITS CURMUDGEON TIME! :'(
I agree with jdee, huh?  ???

sleepkiller, lucasarts doesnt care  8)

How do you know I don't work for LucasArts..............  :P . But if they wish they can revoke our right to the tools they have released and any website that would still host them would face a hefty fine. My point is LucasArts owns the game not you. They are only letting you use it so you follow their rules that you are legally bound to from the moment you install SWBF1 if you breach them you are braking the law.

October 15, 2011, 08:19:40 PM #39 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:23:26 PM by jdee-barc
oh and i never told anyone to stop trying. i just said that i wasted 30 minutes going around in circles.

@bamdur, Of course LucasArts doesn't care. but I think it would be wrong (not really legally, but morally) to take a 6 year old game, add all sorts of new features to it by heavily modding the exe, and then flaunt it on the internet because, what if a former Pandemic employee who worked day and night on SWBF, found it? I just have the impression that they would feel like their work was being plagarized.

besides, why do we need all these extra features like 6 units or mp chat turned off? There are ways of getting by this (in a mod, have a different special unit for different maps, for mp chat, just ignore what people are writing and don't join in chatting. the idea of new eras is cool, but there are proven workarounds (my quick n' easy method, sleepkiller's more sophisticated way). imo i'd just appreciate what we can do with this old game. Bf2 also has its limits (no grappling hook, strafe, prone, bug-free orbital strike), but people have again, work around these, and oftentimes, create something better then what the stock thing would've been. i feel that these limitations, can expand your creativity by making you improvise things on them.

Personally i feel that whatever can be done to mod the game by hexediting lvl files, editing odfs, models, particle effects, textures, sfx, shader (yes, out of the random, i suddenly found the bf1 shaders for the game in a folder) music, and  lua scripts, is good enough for me.

@sleepkiller, you posted while i was posting. i personally don't think lucasarts cares that much for a 5-6 year old game. i mean, their official SWBF website hasn't been updated since before its release

@bamdur again, what was the "curmudgeon" thing about? i still don't get it
Current Projects:

Yeah why do we need these things just buy SWBFII. You get more than six that way. ;)

October 15, 2011, 08:37:15 PM #41 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:02:14 PM by Phobos Developer
I didn't say it was pitiful you decided your efforts were a waste of time, I said it was pitiful that with so many hours "wasted" you didn't learn anything from the failure worth sharing with the community or noting down. Its as if you think you can only learn from success which is not the case.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 15, 2011, 07:32:52 PM
Don't go talking about waste of time and failure like that to me young lad. I would liek to see you come over here and take some time in my life before you tell me weather or not it is pitiful I classify that stuff as a waste of time.

Oh, and.

1 - hex editing .script files in common/munged - Won't work.
2 - finding memory address pointers in cheat engine and creating a hack or trainer with an on/off switch - Ilegal
3 - somehow editing the decompiled source code using the program barc linked. - IlegalI agree with jdee, huh?  ???

1 - Won't believe it until I try it
2 - Your point?
3 - Your point?
Go tell lucasarts that im break eula please, they will either laugh at you or ignore you. Your attempt to constantly discourage modders from even trying to push the boundaries with the EXE is really of no use because people are going to try no matter what you say about it. Go ahead and keep running my ideas down it will look funny when suddenly I prove you wrong.

The fact is even swbfgamers hosts "illegal hacks" and L.A. has not done a thing nor will they, it seems the only person who even cares is you.
Illegal download (breaches eula to remove green screeN) : http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=344

I will be in full support of anyone who breaches EULA to improve the game enjoyability. That is why i support battlebelk and the work he did, as well as whoever made the no cd hack.

Gonna get a lawsuit from lucasarts for removing in game chat ? hahahaha :cheers:

Okay, lets see. Out of which one of us who has pushed the bounderies of Zero Engine the most.

I've made a Deathmatch mode which completely goes against SWBFs core logic. I've made a CTF mode which again goes against SWBF's logic. Hmmm were as you are trying to remove ingame chat, wow your pushing the limits alright. And btw everyone but you hates games were you can not chat with other players.

No wonder gametoast banned you. You 100% deserve it.

October 15, 2011, 09:10:53 PM #43 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:17:06 PM by jdee-barc
and i made the first era mod for bf1, which was thought impossible, and the first mod with exploding bullets, which looks cool. sorry. i had to brag. :D

2. ok, lets not start a flame war for the  THIRD time those topics always get locked.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 15, 2011, 08:37:15 PM
as well as whoever made the no cd hack.

Gonna get a lawsuit from lucasarts for removing in game chat ? hahahaha :cheers:

a nocd hack has been made for many games. that has to be illegal (i don't remember but it might come under the crime of pirating software)

and why would you ever wanna remove ingame chat? i find it so entertaining having a random conversation with players. :D

and neither sleepkiller nor any of us were not "running down" your ideas, we were simply pointing out
a. legal issues
b. whether its even possible to do whatever we have to talk about
c. why we'd even do it.

@bamdur. now i understand the curmudgeon thing you commented with. thank you, urbandictionary.
Current Projects:

Quote from: jdee-barc on October 15, 2011, 09:10:53 PM
and i made the first era mod for bf1 and the first mod with exploding bullets. sorry. i had to brag. :D
Yeah braging is fun. :)
2. ok, lets not start a flame war for the  third time those topics always get locked.
I agree let us put this to rest.
and why would you ever wanna remove ingame chat? i find it so entertaining having a random conversation with players. :D
Likewise.