Questions I Would Ask BattleBelk

Started by Phobos, October 11, 2011, 08:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 11, 2011, 08:46:23 PM Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:37:40 PM by Phobos Developer
Last Updated 10/11/2011

These are the questions I will ask BattleBelk if I ever see him online again:

• How did you enable 6th unit spawn button, was it by editing some common/munged/*.script files?
  • Is it possible to remove multi-player chat function completely either for server host, or from client view?
  • Is it possible to get more than 32 AI to spawn in multi-player?
  • How do you prevent kill score from resetting to 0 after 255?
  • Is there a way to demunge the .script files in your interface builder?
  • Is there an application or tool that can allow dedicated hosting server tools for SWBF1 v1.2 to log the IP addresses of everyone who joins the server into a text file?
  • What file contains the code that decides what modifications are and are not online compatible (client crashing)?
  • What TGA did you use for wireframe?
  • How did BattleBelk hide the reinforcement numbers in game?

What is the point of this thread?   :confused: Why post this list of questions that you would ask a person who for all we know could be dead?

And serveral of these are easily awnsered such as.

• What file contains the code that decides what modifications are and are not online compatible (client crashing)?
The main EXE will.

Just use logic and poke around the munged files yourself and you will get your awnsers.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 11, 2011, 09:00:58 PM
What is the point of this thread?   :confused: Why post this list of questions that you would ask a person who for all we know could be dead?

And serveral of these are easily awnsered such as.

The main EXE will.

Just use logic and poke around the munged files yourself and you will get your awnsers.
I find it funny you don't understand the point of a simple thread such as this. Your vague answers are of little help.

Okay SWBF1 LUA is extremly limiting so anything complex like server/client comunications is handle by the EXE.

October 12, 2011, 03:14:39 AM #4 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:17:54 AM by jdee-barc
Wireframe models, i think, are done by exporting the model as a fully animated, yet untextured, wireframe (you saw the wirefram atat i'm assuming).

I've asked these questions so many times, and i've gotten pretty much the same answer that sleepkiller gave so i'd just stick to that.

-reverse engineering compiled code, lua or anything, is nothing short of impossible. the most i could do is use luck3y's lvl extract utility to extract dds files, and convert them to tgas. so no, you can't demunge scripts, but you can do the followiing
--hexedit
--take the bf2 script and try to piece the bf1 script from it (not entirely possible for many scripts)\

Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

If we don't even know how battlebelk unlocked 6th spawn button then I find it foolish to assume it is not feasible for us to discover how.

another answer, you have to realize swbf was made back when lua was really starting to progress,(idk which version that is but its soemwhere) and its a very outdated version with not all the features that lua 5.2 has ( latest one)

bf1 uses 4.0,  i think.

1.in bf2 the unit number is hardcoded.

2.in sptest, trying to add a sixth unit, results in a crash saying something about how the number is greater then the number specified by the "addunitclass" function. the basic lua functions (addunitclass, ReadDataFile, ReadDataFileIngame, SetHeroClass, sethistorical(), etc),basic odf commands (maxhealth, RoundsPerClip, AnimationName, etc), entityclasses (weapons and ords explosion, cannon, launcher. others - flyer, hover, commandwalker, prop, etc), and animationbanks (rifle, pistol, lascanon [unused], gam, melee, bazooka, and possibly something for the cut wampa), all defined in the exe when looked at through a hexeditor.
Current Projects:

October 12, 2011, 07:18:47 PM #8 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:23:56 PM by SleepKiller
Yeah SWBF1 uses 4.0 or 4.1 forgotton whcih :/

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 12, 2011, 07:18:47 PM
Yeah SWBF1 uses 4.0 or 4.1 forgotton whcih :/

I am fairly certain that its 4.1.

I have a link to the LUA programming site somewhere on SWBFgamers, i think.  The 4.1 version has a ton of downloads :)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

is it the riley man pages?
Current Projects:

Lua 4.0 was released on 06 Nov 2000. The main new features in Lua 4.0 are multiples states, a new API, "for" statements, and full speed execution with full debug information. Also, Lua 4.0 no longer has built-in functions: all functions in the standard library are written using the official API. The last release was Lua 4.0.1, released on 04 Jul 2002. (THAT IS OLD)

www.lua.org

From the riley manual pages:

The script chunk, marked by "scr_" in the *.lvl files, contains script code to be executed in the user
interface or just before a mission finishes loading. The body of the script appears to be stored in Lua
byte-code (version 4.0). For information on the Lua programming language, visit the Lua Programming
Language web site. Use command "luac -l" to disassemble byte-code into a slightly more meaningful
opcode format.

link and discussion of archived riley pages are found here
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3791.0
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on October 13, 2011, 06:21:50 AM
From the riley manual pages:

The script chunk, marked by "scr_" in the *.lvl files, contains script code to be executed in the user
interface or just before a mission finishes loading. The body of the script appears to be stored in Lua
byte-code (version 4.0). For information on the Lua programming language, visit the Lua Programming
Language web site. Use command "luac -l" to disassemble byte-code into a slightly more meaningful
opcode format.

link and discussion of archived riley pages are found here
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3791.0

Thanks Led, it dispels the cliche theory that "all scripts are exe". I have both Riley PDFs and will be studying them further for answers. There are secrets hidden in the lvl files waiting to be discovered.

October 13, 2011, 02:06:53 PM #14 Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:14:48 PM by SleepKiller
Trust me mate just leave it alone I've wasted hours of my life trying to decompile the scripts it can not be done.(Unless you are incredibly skilled in understanding computer language.)  And the Scripts are only used to call fuctions that are hardcoded in the EXE you can not get a sixth slot, new eras or anything like that.

EDIT: I just thought of a way to get you a sixth slot. The odds are LucasArts has the source code for SWBF1 since it is their game. So go o LucasArts HQ busst in at night sneak about search their computers find the sourcecode and put it on a usb stick sneak out. And boom you can now get your sixth slot. :P (Yes I am feeling a bit board at the moment.)