Started by Phobos, February 05, 2013, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which xfire did you prefer?

old classic xfire
34 (97.1%)
new xfire beta
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

I still don't like the changes but as long as the main app is fine and the website is at least usable I'll stick with X-fire (they say they are working on getting old features back).
If we all move to different software it will become even harder to find other people who play. I think it's a shame when people we play with often just disapear like after Gamespy shut down and I don't want to be one of them by only seeing people by coincedence when in game. :(
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Hey guys, I found this Xfire forum topic, it should explain why some things don't work, etc.

http://forums.xfire.com/showthread.php/267392-Classic-Xfire

In Xfire Ben's second post, he mentions that the clan pages aren't working currently, and that this past month was th elast month for Xfire's classic site, due to the fact of two sties being "bad" for the company. Read on if you want, figured this would shed some light on things.

I'm pretty sure what it comes down to is more potential for them to sell advertisements, plus the ability for them to tie into social media such as facebook.

I can appreciate the desire for them to monetize their system, but let's face it, that ship sailed about 5 years ago when Steam came out with a better model that included sales of games and download distribution.

As far as facebook goes, we have met Big Brother and he is us.   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Apparently Ben is convinced xfire classic is bad for business. If only steam supported swbf1...

You can add Non-Steam games to your Steam library. This usually unless the game is incompatible enables the Steam overlay. The only thing you'll be missing is xFire's recording capabilities, but you can always use FRAPS for that. It probably bring better performance at the end of the day anyway.

Clicky for classic xFire. Er, mostly it's a lot more functional than that horrible updated one. I managed to post on it, that counts for something. You may also need to login on new xFire then go back to it.

Just thought it was somewhat worth sharing worth.

Quote from: SleepKiller on February 27, 2013, 05:45:19 AM
Clicky for classic xFire. Er, mostly it's a lot more functional than that horrible updated one. I managed to post on it, that counts for something. You may also need to login on new xFire then go back to it.

Just thought it was somewhat worth sharing worth.
Thanks it seems to work like classic.

Sorry for the necro...

The xfire support folks got back to me with positive results just now.

The issues with videos not appearing and not being able to view screenshots in certain browsers is cleared up (on my end, at least.)

It isn't the classic xfire, and I have no news on the forums closing, but it's still a good site.

I'm impressed that they stayed on the ticket so long.  I went to them with an unpopular browser issue (IE) and they flat out fixed it.  Gamefront could learn a thing or two from them.

http://www.xfire.com/

meh.

Still can't delete forum boards or posts--and I think this was done on purpose.

Private messages are gone, too.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

what is this new "xfire battlegrounds" that i keep getting advertisements for. I tried to look it up on xfire site but it didnt tell me anything.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

From their faq:
http://battleground.xfire.com/faq
QuoteWhat is Battleground?
Battleground is the ultimate competitive gaming platform. We provide high quality, free servers for you to play on. We track your stats and award you Battle Tokens for every kill (and penalize you for every death). At the end of the month you can use your Battle Tokens to enter sweepstakes for awesome gaming gear - the better you perform, the better your chances of winning.

It looks like they are just getting it set up and running. All I could see without logging in was Counter Strike: Source and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on the Ranks page.

ya thats about what i read, i was just surprised that was it, with all the advertising they did for it
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me