New Cloud Storage site for SWBF needs?

Started by Kit Fisto, August 27, 2013, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I had to make an account for school for this cloud storage site called box.com. I think it's worth looking into if you are looking for a cloud based storage to store your files. A free account has a max storage of 10 GB and 250MB max upload size. I know people were having problems with mediafire and that was the popular cloud storage site for a while.

Just check it out but don't blame me if your computer blows up! ;)

Homepage: https://app.box.com/home/

Sign-Up: https://app.box.com/signup/o/default_personal/ (NOTE: the link I give is for the free sign up option)

Cool. Dropbox only gives me 2gb. not a lot of room.
These folks give 10.
I'll try them out, thanks for the link, Kit..

I've often wondered about using some of these online storage sites for map collaboration.
It might get weird if 2 people were editing the same file, but other than that, It would be cool for keeping everyone on the same page.

If your low on space Google Drive gives you a lovely 15GB Tirpider.

August 27, 2013, 08:39:19 PM #3 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:40:50 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: SleepKiller on August 27, 2013, 08:25:07 PM
I think at this point, its safer and easier just to by a flash drive :P
(I have a NoTouch 480 GB flashdrive/detachable USB hard-drive, but it was a little costly, as you can imagine.)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on August 27, 2013, 08:39:19 PM
I think at this point, its safer and easier just to by a flash drive :P
(I have a NoTouch 480 GB flashdrive/detachable USB hard-drive, but it was a little costly, as you can imagine.)
Well the point of this thread was to suggest a cloud storage that you can share mod and/or assets with other people without having to use this site's download system. Like how everyone uses speedyshare or mediafire or google drive.

August 27, 2013, 08:57:57 PM #5 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:18:03 PM by tirpider
Quote from: SleepKiller on August 27, 2013, 08:25:07 PM

heh
I only signed up for google to get past the spam filter over on GT.
Haven't checked it in years.

@Kit
Online storage is cool. I've been using dropbox and am quite happy with them. However, I don't trust these online companies to be around long.

The file host sites leave themselves open to FBI raids, and places like filefront have restrictions and expiration dates. Then there are sites that just disappear.

I'd recommend that any file you put online, you also keep on a local drive somewhere (thumb drive, external.. anything.)

It's really handy to be able to paste links to a file. But it's terribly inconvenient if that link dies in 6 weeks.

That said, I'm going to play with mirroring my dropbox files on box.com. When I'm convinced they are going to be around for a while and if they have simple features that don't require too much effort on my part, then I'll start using them like a repository or something.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on August 27, 2013, 08:52:58 PM
Well the point of this thread was to suggest a cloud storage that you can share mod and/or assets with other people without having to use this site's download system. Like how everyone uses speedyshare or mediafire or google drive.

Actually, I think Google Drive would be a more reasonable place to use cloud storage for SWBF mods. Our teacher in my Info Tech course last year went over Google Drive with us, and it is really cool. You can actually share files with friends as a project persay, and you and 2 other people or something could end up editing it simultaneously. I forget the other features it had, though that was the main feature that caught my attention about Google Drive.

Personally I think it might be helpful for modders, since if you guys ever do a collaboration project, you guys could all have access to the mod files simultaneously, meaning, you would be able edit the files whenever, and upload any changed files if needed. I think it would work out brilliantly actually.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on August 27, 2013, 09:05:40 PM
Actually, I think Google Drive would be a more reasonable place to use cloud storage for SWBF mods. Our teacher in my Info Tech course last year went over Google Drive with us, and it is really cool. You can actually share files with friends as a project persay, and you and 2 other people or something could end up editing it simultaneously. I forget the other features it had, though that was the main feature that caught my attention about Google Drive.

Personally I think it might be helpful for modders, since if you guys ever do a collaboration project, you guys could all have access to the mod files simultaneously, meaning, you would be able edit the files whenever, and upload any changed files if needed. I think it would work out brilliantly actually.
That feature is useful but mostly for editing scripts and source codes. Most mods uploaded would be in LVL format which aren't going to be modified simultaneously. Something more like a large archive center with over 15GB space would be ideal.

I haven't looked into this much but this could possibly be an option

[spoiler]Windows Live SkyDrive
Windows Live SkyDrive starts you out with 25GB for free (and allows you to sync 5GB), and with Live Mesh you can sync your local files and folders with your SkyDrive account. If you have a Windows Live account, you already have a SkyDrive account that you can make use of. SkyDrive is especially useful for Windows users, who can configure it to automatically sync any folder on their system (like your My Documents folder, for example) to the cloud for safe keeping, or automatically upload any Microsoft Office documents you create. You can also use SkyDrive and Live Mesh as a remote access utilty, so you can get to files even if they're not being synced.[/spoiler]

@Phobos

I was thinking of something like a synced BFBuilder mod folder using NTFS Junctions to folders in the Box sync folder.  So that as assets are produced/edited, then everyone with access to it would be able to munge it.

Pro:
- The dev team has access to the entire project at any given time
Con:
- Experimental stuff would have to be tested outside the main project to avoid having to un-implement it if it fails.

I'm thinking that individually linked folders would be better than linking the whole DATAmodID folder.
_BUILD_PC, _LVL_PC, _SOURCE_PC get filled and cleaned regularly so they would just be useless bandwidth.
But everything else would be essential. all the .bat files, ect. Would probably need to skip the config.ini for zero as well. I know I customized mine because of the screen size.

The hardest part would be getting everyone set up the same. Perhaps a batch file or autoit script could automate it.

A much easier way would be to share a folder/drive via one of these VPN services (like tunngle.) (no syncing, no specific folder sharing, ect.)

--

re: Box.com syncing

I tried this box one out. It's nice, but their sync utility (BoxSync) is a little frustrating to use.
Had to hunt for a way to change the location from my tiny C: drive to my much larger D:.
I was able to use a junction to put a folder in it, so that saves space since I already have an organized(?) set of files to sync.

It seems that syncing isn't so much of an automated thing (like dropbox). I had to tell it to "Force Upload" to begin syncing and man was it slow about it. It doesn't seem to react to changes made in the file so it is critical to remember to sync after every edit. With that in mind, I'm still trying to figure out why the BoxSync process needs to run. I'll look into this issue more today, because a sync utility that has to be forced to run doesn't make sense to me.

I check this out, and try to figure out how it works... :wacko:
Oh, no, seems, I need to download some .exe, to make it works... Hope it's never needs to be activated. Dropbox exe, just crash my PC...  :whip:
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

It should work from just the website (like any other web storage site).

The sync programs are optional for syncing and accessing from phones and stuff.