hi

Started by {Alpha} Kiwi, January 08, 2012, 12:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 13, 2012, 12:05:04 PM #15 Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:06:39 PM by BlackScorpion
Hi, Kiwi!
I'd like to apologize for assuming that your name referred to the fruit; I did not even know about the bird that is your national symbol!

(Off-topic):
Quote from: Darth Verik on January 23, 2012, 06:06:46 AM
Hold on...your calling me a foreigner but in fact we Dutchies we Hollanders, we few we happy few made your country come alive! Albert Tasman was the guy who found New Zealand (thats why it's called Zeeland, thats in fact a province in the Netherlands)...Thats why i believe i am allowed to call anybody a Kiwi, a mango, a banana or even a chimp!

We Dutchies made the world! >D From New Amsterdam (New York) till Dutch Brazil and even towards the very borders of your beloved New Zealand

New Amsterdam and New York are not technically interchangeable.  What you meant to write is New York City.  New York is a state.  New York, New York is the city (The City refers to London, specifically its financial district; however, as I live stateside, when I say "The City," I refer to NYC... cognitive dissonance, I guess).

February 13, 2012, 02:44:30 PM #16 Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:46:10 PM by Unit 33
Quote from: BlackScorpion on February 13, 2012, 12:05:04 PM
(Off-topic):
New Amsterdam and New York are not technically interchangeable.  What you meant to write is New York City.  New York is a state.  New York, New York is the city (The City refers to London, specifically its financial district; however, as I live stateside, when I say "The City," I refer to NYC... cognitive dissonance, I guess).
However, everyone (generalisation) outside of Merica refers to New York city as New York because we couldn't give two monkeys.

And I have only heard London referred to as the city on the news, it's one of those things the BBC roll out and no one in the real world uses.

I've alwaysed used 'the city' to refer to any non-rural environment.

I've also always refered to New York as 'that dirty place'. But that's just based off a 6 hour visit.

Quote from: BlackScorpionI'd like to apologize for assuming that your name referred to the fruit; I did not even know about the bird that is your national symbol!
*GRABS CHAINSAW*