Why I hate jets.

Started by SleepKiller, February 07, 2012, 08:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Top five reasons why I hate jets.

1. There weapons compared to the other special classes are easier to use and more powerful.
2. The Republic one has six Thermal Detonators.
3. The Empire one has four Thermal Detonators.
4. They fly giving them a huge advantage, yet they have the same amount of health as other units.
5. They can be spammed, resulting in a heavily a bad play experience for the other team.

What are the reasons you hate Jets for? (if you hate them at all.)

I don't hate them, but I don't really care for them either.

My big complaint with jets is really with Zero itself.  I miss the skiing abilities of Tribes.
(Using gravity, inertia, small hops, light jet pulses, and terrain countours to gather tremendous speed with minimal effort.)
Without the 'bounce' to it, the jets are kinda flat feeling.

Id rather walk. (Or nade launch.. same thing ... or not.)

I love dark jet, hate clone jet. Shotguns and snipers are my favorite weapons in this game.

Quote from: tirpider on February 07, 2012, 08:59:23 PM
I don't hate them, but I don't really care for them either.

My big complaint with jets is really with Zero itself.  I miss the skiing abilities of Tribes.
(Using gravity, inertia, small hops, light jet pulses, and terrain countours to gather tremendous speed with minimal effort.)
Without the 'bounce' to it, the jets are kinda flat feeling.

Id rather walk. (Or nade launch.. same thing ... or not.)

You should try the jet droid.  The settings for it sound similar to what you describe.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Re:The Jet Droid
I want to play with the flying/jetting a bit.
It's all on hold till I rebuild my dev environment.

I agree with SleepKiller that the jets imbalance play.
More on the Jet Trooper side than the Dark Trooper.

If everyone had the jets, even as they are, It wouldn't be so bad.

I had just discovered MOS EISLEY: Utter Chaos (utc1) before my drive died.
It's a bit silly at first, with the over powered weapons, but after a while, it grows on you.
(Infinite Rockets FTW)
Just need to make the hover go away and add a fuel limit.

Another thing to overcome with the jets is the way they just cut off if your feet touch the ground.
Thats the part that kills skiing.

February 10, 2012, 05:00:41 PM #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:04:17 PM by Droideka
The jets on the jet trooper obviously give them an immediate advantage, however their flying ability can be countered by a skilled player. If you dodge enough, you can evade a jet for a little while.

The things that make jets so ridiculous, to me, falls into 2 categories
1) The splash damage on the EMP weapon is so outrageous, that anything remotely close to the jet trooper's target will be blasted. If the weapon was toned down I'd be more content with the outrageous amount of jet trooper play on the servers.

2)This is much less of a problem, but the jets have quite a large supply of grenades. I usually find myself picking jet if the enemy is stuck to the forward flank at the end of the game, because I can just lob grenade after grenade after grenade into the center of the CP, spawn stunning/killing everybody. It's also difficult to outlast a jet in a fight- whereas in a normal duel your opponent would run out of ammo quite quickly, if he switched to jet he would be able to fly around and throw grenades on you forever. It's all about attrition.

Overall I don't really mind jets as much as I used to, they're very annoying but they're a part of the game, and you just have to adapt when you're playing them. Usually I try to get a quick shot on them, since it's very difficult to outlast them in a duel.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Use to hate them--both kinds. I, however, have now grown to love Darktrooper within the past year and now have grown indifferent towards the clone jettrooper. I will criticize the clone jet in that it's very easy to get a kill (just shoot the floor where the target is, for the most part). At least with Darktrooper it actually requires some good aiming to kill a target in one shot.

I'd be a lot happier if the jet recharge on both clone and empire was slower. I don't mind the weapons and the quantity, but when they fly away i just want to blow them up with my mind.

Quote from: Jamman on February 11, 2012, 05:13:26 PM
I'd be a lot happier if the jet recharge on both clone and empire was slower. I don't mind the weapons and the quantity, but when they fly away i just want to blow them up with my mind.

Well, you do pretty good with that sniper rifle  :P
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Jet's are bad when they're shooting at you. However they're suddenly brilliant when they're on your team.
Playing dirty usually balances out their immediate advantage.

Quote from: Unit 33 on February 12, 2012, 05:37:36 AM
Jet's are bad when they're shooting at you. However they're suddenly brilliant when they're on your team.
So true.

The fact that jets get a commando pistol is annoying... its like giving spider man a machine gun just in case he messes up with his shooting webs and super strength.
I don't really mind jet trooper any more, but I still don't play them cause I would feel guilty for having such a big advantage.

Jet noobs have ruined this game. People just want cheap thrills.

Seal off the community. Make an unofficial update that is not compatible with the regular servers, and build a wall keeping the non-noobs in and the noobs out. We'll have our own servers, our own clans, completely invisible to 8 year olds who picked up a 3rd hand copy at a garage sale. [spoiler]or, god forbid, torrented it[/spoiler]

To much noob control kinda spoils the game though.
That same sort of elitism ruined tribes.
Now it's just the same 10 guys playing the same 5 maps, forever.....

Quote from: tirpider on February 26, 2012, 12:26:14 AM
To much noob control kinda spoils the game though.
That same sort of elitism ruined tribes.
Now it's just the same 10 guys playing the same 5 maps, forever.....
Similar thing happened with Jedi Knight 2, and now the servers are dead-ish.