"Mod" SWBFI PS2?

Started by Kit Fisto, May 28, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ah, no it wouldn't. The PS2 would be unable to handle the PC files and would crash. They would need to be specially munged for the PS2 version.

<You beat me to it, SK :P >

On a modded PS2, sure.

Here is another trick, though. Check the documentation for the modtools, specifically the stuff regarding .option files.  The file is misc_documentation.doc I believe.  It's in the BF2 mod tools doc folder (it didn't come with BF1's modtools) ...

Anyway,  it describes all sorts of directives for telling the mungers how to build ps2 assets (didn't XBOX, PC, and PS2 all have different mungers?)

Making mods for the consoles is going to involve making those technical changes to the used assets.  The process will be quite similar, but it's starting over from ground zero trying to figure out what subtle little things will need to be altered to get the PS2 to accept the mod.

When the mod eventually crashes, is it because of some built-in thing that won't allow for modding, is it a bad burned disc? or is a texture just in a wrong format and the console decided to flip a table?

With no documentation and no examples to go by other than the PC and Xbox mods, it would be just as time consuming to build a squad based fps for the ps2 from scratch.

I think they do share some mungers. ODFMunge for instance, I also think WorldMunge and ConfigMunge are probably shared. It's when it comes to the art stuff like models and shaders that the mungers are different I think. In theory you could extract the PS2's munged art assets and just do stuff like ODF mods.

This video shows its possible to mod at least the mission LVL for ps2 using PC mungers.

Simple code mods like LUA and ODF should work, but textures models and worlds could be trickier.

I'd like to mod the shell and sides for ps2. Are the ps2 mungers available anywhere, or can we get by with using most/all of the PC mungers?

Mission.lvl is cross-compatible.  The only thing is that the Memory pools are set much lower.  The only thing that does is make SPTest go crazy, but I haven't used it much.  Actually PS2 mission is bigger if I remember right...

Just from poking around, you MIGHT be able to get by with PC mungers.  You will need to tweak those mungers somehow though, or all the option files.  Something will have to change, because those aren't cross compatible.

I think if you plan to do a lot of PS2 modding, i'd look at ReWritable discs.  At least they'll hold up for more than 1 burn (usually).
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.