.lvl File Question

Started by F16hter1, June 13, 2018, 08:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I downloaded a mod a little bit ago that replaces wimpy troops with killer ones in the Naboo map. I was wondering if it is possible to apply this to all maps. Before you ask, the files that it came with are as follows:
common.lvl
core.lvl
ingame.lvl
inshell.lvl
mission.lvl
rep.lvl
repshell.lvl
cis.lvl
cisshell.lvl

It is possible, but not without effort.  What mod was it?  Perhaps the modder is still around and could be asked to share the mission lua--then it would be relatively easy to apply to other maps.

Can you provide a link to the map?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

June 14, 2018, 05:12:28 PM #2 Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:19:23 AM by F16hter1
Here is the download link for the mod:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fjcxjrfcurhn2dw/AssaultOnTheed-Delta1035.zip

It is a side mod that changes the base sides to different ones. It is currently only set to the stock Naboo map, but I'm getting a little tired of only being able to use them in that map.

There is no indication in there about who made the map, but maybe someone here will know.

The map is called EA2.

Something you could do, however, is use a hexeditor to look into the mission.lvl file for the unit names.  I found one:
rep_inf_ep3_assault

You could recreate a mission.lvl for other maps using this unit names and calling these side files.

Quote from: Led on June 17, 2018, 07:51:51 AM
There is no indication in there about who made the map, but maybe someone here will know.

The map is called EA2.

Something you could do, however, is use a hexeditor to look into the mission.lvl file for the unit names.  I found one:
rep_inf_ep3_assault

You could recreate a mission.lvl for other maps using this unit names and calling these side files.

Since the stock maps don't contain a mission.lvl, how would I go about doing that? Would I just copy and paste the mod's mission.lvl to the stock map's file?

Quote from: F16hter1 on June 18, 2018, 01:18:14 PM
Since the stock maps don't contain a mission.lvl, how would I go about doing that? Would I just copy and paste the mod's mission.lvl to the stock map's file?

The mod tools contain the stock map mission lua files.  For the stock maps, they are grouped together in the game's mission.lvl file.  You can make your own side mod and the then you make your own Addon mission.lvl file that goes in the map folder.

I won't say modding is easy to learn, but it's not impossible, and there are many modding tutorials here (mainly for SWBF1 but the ideas are similar) and at GameToast.com mainly for SWBF2.

Quote from: Led on June 18, 2018, 04:52:27 PM
The mod tools contain the stock map mission lua files.  For the stock maps, they are grouped together in the game's mission.lvl file.  You can make your own side mod and the then you make your own Addon mission.lvl file that goes in the map folder.

I won't say modding is easy to learn, but it's not impossible, and there are many modding tutorials here (mainly for SWBF1 but the ideas are similar) and at GameToast.com mainly for SWBF2.

SO lastly, in order to do this, do I need to go into a mission.lvl file and go through it, changing each unit to the unit given in my side mod files? For example, if my rep.lvl has the name rep_inf_ep3_assault instead of rep_inf_ep3_rifleman, would I change the latter to the first in the mission.lvl for my map?

You can either rename the units in the mission lua or you could rename the model files to match what is in the mission lua.