Gameranger DS Setup and Server Modifications

Started by M-J-T, August 08, 2016, 04:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 08, 2016, 04:21:59 AM Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:26:15 AM by M-J-T
Hello,

Recently began playing BF2 again and was prompted by a player from this community to advertise SWBFSpy through Gameranger. However, whilst I know how to host normal non-DS games on Gameranger, I do not know how to host DS servers for Gameranger.

So, my question is: if possible to do so, how would I host a DS through Gameranger to advertise SWBFSpy?

--

My other question is how would I edit my server modifications to enable elements such as quick spawn, no force and fake console for my dedicated server only without the need for players to download additional mod maps to play.

Many thanks,

M-J-T

--

Version: 1.1 with SWBFSpy patches for DS and core game.

I'm going to answer each of your concerns the best I can in random order;

1) Fake Console is a client-sided visual thing, if the dedicated server has it, it's useless. The host side of the game cannot change visual menu items on each client's side of the game. About mod maps - it is absolutely impossible to have maps on the host side alone - all clients who intend to join will need the matching content.

2) You can edit the dedicated server's BattlefrontII.exe and go to offset 6EA55 and change the two bytes from 70 41 to 00 3F for instant spawn. This won't work on 2 - 3 levels throughout Naboo/Utapau

3) You need to make GameRanger look for "swbf2sm.exe" to run the dedicated server on GameRanger. When you click launch game within the room, GameRanger will bring up the server manager interface, you'll then click start on the server when you're ready to start the actual session. If you want to play in your own GameRanger dedicated server, you'll need to make a second Windows user account and install GameRanger with another account then join - or use a second computer, either way you'll need a second account if you intend to play in your own dedicated GR server. You also need to ensure that your dedicated server does not have the SWBFspy patch, as GR needs to locate and hijack the default Gamespy data to work properly.

4) About "No Force" mods - your best bet is to get someone else to do this for you or ask for someone's files who has already done it, or else you're gonna have to learn how to use the SWBF2 mod tools which isn't something you learn in a day.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Really appreciate the help. Thanks. :cheers:

--

Quote from: Anthony_b on August 08, 2016, 06:23:42 AM
I'm going to answer each of your concerns the best I can in random order;

1) Fake Console is a client-sided visual thing, if the dedicated server has it, it's useless. The host side of the game cannot change visual menu items on each client's side of the game. About mod maps - it is absolutely impossible to have maps on the host side alone - all clients who intend to join will need the matching content.

2) You can edit the dedicated server's BattlefrontII.exe and go to offset 6EA55 and change the two bytes from 70 41 to 00 3F for instant spawn. This won't work on 2 - 3 levels throughout Naboo/Utapau

3) You need to make GameRanger look for "swbf2sm.exe" to run the dedicated server on GameRanger. When you click launch game within the room, GameRanger will bring up the server manager interface, you'll then click start on the server when you're ready to start the actual session. If you want to play in your own GameRanger dedicated server, you'll need to make a second Windows user account and install GameRanger with another account then join - or use a second computer, either way you'll need a second account if you intend to play in your own dedicated GR server. You also need to ensure that your dedicated server does not have the SWBFspy patch, as GR needs to locate and hijack the default Gamespy data to work properly.

4) About "No Force" mods - your best bet is to get someone else to do this for you or ask for someone's files who has already done it, or else you're gonna have to learn how to use the SWBF2 mod tools which isn't something you learn in a day.

Just to clarify Anthony's excellent response, there are some server side only mods that can be used in both SWBF and SWBF2.  These often involve mission.lvl modifications that are just needed on the server.

For SWBF1, there is a forum dedicated to listing all of these mods
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?board=69.0

and fast spawn is one of them.

Most should also work for SWBF2, but I have not personally made them for SWBF2.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks.  :cheers:

--

Quote from: Led on August 08, 2016, 07:52:48 AM
Just to clarify Anthony's excellent response, there are some server side only mods that can be used in both SWBF and SWBF2.  These often involve mission.lvl modifications that are just needed on the server.

For SWBF1, there is a forum dedicated to listing all of these mods
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?board=69.0

and fast spawn is one of them.

Most should also work for SWBF2, but I have not personally made them for SWBF2.