Modding Terminology

Started by Phobos, November 24, 2011, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 24, 2011, 07:37:16 PM Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:45:38 PM by Phobos Developer
This thread is a [WIP] I just want the foundation of the concept here. This is meant to be a brief description terms used in swbf1 modding that may be helpful to beginning modders:

BFBuilder - The modding tools released by psych0fred for swbf1. There are far more tools than just these (such as LVL builders), but this is essential for anyone who plans on building mod maps.
Munge - Assemble source files into LVL format which are loaded in game.
ODF - Object Definition File. Opens with text editor. Used in common.lvl, sides and world LVL files.
LUA - A programming language similar to C. Opens with text editor Used in addon.script, common.lvl, shell.lvl, mission.lvl.
LVL - Files the game EXE calls upon to load game content. Most of these can be modified or hex edited in many ways. LVL files cannot be hacked. Only EXEs and DLLs can be hacked. LVL file examples include: Mission, core, common, shell, sides, worlds, addon, sound, etc.
Hex Dupe - Hex duping means using a hex editor to create a duplicate mesh that calls upon different textures (hex edited names). The length must always be the same. Example lego.msh copy and rename lego2.msh. Open hex editor and replace lego.tga with leg2.tga
TGA - TGA means Targa file. It is a texture that usually cannot be edited with windows paint. You need software like paint.net, photoshop, or gimp. All TGA files used in SWBF1 are saved with RLE Compression OFF. Failure to disable it can cause crashes or bugs.

to be continued i have not enough time to add more right now post more additions below and i will add them later

This may help many of "little" modders there, thanks!