Holographic Green Laser Alien Meshes You Can Walk Through

Started by Phobos, November 12, 2011, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So the idea I have for one of my upcoming maps is to make alien unit meshes into stationary props. I want to make them a green laser hologram that you can walk through. Same size as regular units. I have a few ideas how to do this which way do you think would be the easiest?

Greyscaling the texture and then just making a halo odf that uses the model and then attaching the holo odf to a prop odf of the Command Post.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 12, 2011, 06:12:20 PM
Greyscaling the texture and then just making a halo odf that uses the model and then attaching the holo odf to a prop odf of the Command Post.

Only problem with that is I might not want to use a command post mesh to project the holograms. It's an idea to experiment with though so thanks.

Any mesh can be used.(I think.) It may need hp_hologram in it. (But you could just rename another bone via hex editing on the mesh you did want to use.)

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 12, 2011, 06:33:52 PM
Any mesh can be used.(I think.) It may need hp_hologram in it. (But you could just rename another bone via hex editing on the mesh you did want to use.)
I have tried renaming unit mesh bones with hex editor before (like when I tried to remove Kit Fisto's bone_pelvis blackfoot) and it always results in instant game crash with no sptest logs.

Well that is due to animation issues. I've renamed bones in static props before to use them to shoot out a hologram.