Jabba the hutt

Started by hellish hellbird, March 06, 2014, 03:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
did you guys know jabba the hutt might not have been a space slug back when star wars was first made...i was watching episode 4 last night at 4 am and i noticed that han solo said something about the nicest human being to jabba! any other crazy star wars rumors?

March 06, 2014, 03:52:05 PM #1 Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:04:22 PM by Led
No mention of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabba_the_Hutt

but, hey, it is wikipedia  ;)

edit:

Here ya go:
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/jabba.html

about halfway down:

When Han Solo thanks him as "a wonderful human being", audiences in 1997 thought it was a clever bit of irony. But the line originally had a more literal meaning. Han was still being sarcastic--the joke is not that Jabba's not a human being, but that he's not a "wonderful " one; it's false courtesy being shown to a criminal that earlier in the day sent an assassin to kill him.

But what of Lucas' claims about wanting to replace the human actor with a stop-motion puppet? Where do such claims originate from? Is there any validity to this element? There may be, actually. To loop back around to the very beginning here, let's go back to the mid-70's. Lucas says that he originally envisioned Jabba as an alien--this is not unbelievable, at least on face value. Perhaps not the over-the-top slug of Return of the Jedi--if Declan Mulholland and the shooting script are any indication of descent from a hypothetical original concept, he's fat and menacing and dangerous, sort of like the Kingpin character from Spiderman; if he was to be an alien, he need not be as over-the-top outrageous as the giant slug from Jedi . Likely, he was conceived in slightly more realistic terms, perhaps simply as an actor in makeup or with an animatronic mask (which is sort of the impression that Alan Dean Foster's novelization gives--that book described Jabba in human terms but more exaggerated than the result Declan Mulholland provided, describing Jabba's hanging jowls shaking when he laughs). But it certainly is allowable that Lucas had first thought up the character as some kind of obese alien crime pirate.

Now I know more about Jabba the Hut than I really wanted to... ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

In the original SW Episode IV there is actually a human where Jabba is in the spaceport.  Not the Special Edition, which is shown on TV.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 06, 2014, 05:53:07 PM
In the original SW Episode IV there is actually a human where Jabba is in the spaceport.  Not the Special Edition, which is shown on TV.

No, that never made it in the original movie. 

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on March 06, 2014, 07:09:56 PM

No, that never made it in the original movie.

The head bumping stormtrooper did though xD

Oops.  Deleted Scene reference :)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.