Thoughts on Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Started by Gold Man, December 24, 2013, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, figured I'd throw this up in the air for discussion. If you hadn't read the Merry Christmas post already, I stated that I got The Clone Wars Seasons 1-5 on DVD (Collector's Edition). I just now took a look back at some of the episodes that I've gotten foggy on (mostly the ones about politics and Ziro the Hutt), and it made me think: "It's been nearly 9 months since The Clone Wars aired, I wonder what people still think of it?". So, I figured I'd ask yas all! :P

Anyways, what are your thoughts on The Clone Wars as a whole? Complete from Seasons 1-5, not specific episodes or anything (though feel free to pick some out and discuss them). Since I've created the topic, I'l go first:

Overall, I really liked and still like The Clone Wars. It's been a good journey, from 2008-2013/14 (still waiting for Season 6 arcs to be released), I really thought it was a good ride in my favourite era of Star Wars. Sure chunks of Star Wars canon were rewritten throughout the series, but they pulled strings when they needed to fit the arcs in harmony. Although it wasn't necessarily displayed in a chronological order (they hopped here and there in the seasons), it was nice to see how some of the events unfolded in the earlier seasons. :)

In conclusion, I thought Star Wars: The Clone Wars was a really good series. Now let's see how Star Wars: Rebels does in comparison. ;) (And yes, I do plan to watch Star Wars: Rebels.)

Post your thoughts on the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series!

I have bought all seasons on iTunes and thanks to how iCloud works I can watch any episode I want at any time on either my Apple TV or my iPhone without having the actual episode stored anywhere! So because of that I watch episodes regularly. I love the show and it grew on me. I particularly love the second half of season 3 all the way to season 5.

That Ashoka arc at the end of Season 5 is by far my favorite and looks great in 1080p. I guess I'll talk about that episode arc. At first I hated Ashoka because I was that fan who thought "Anakin never had a padawan! What's this! Are they trying to ruin Star Wars?!" And unknowingly I began to like her character. By the time I saw the last episodes of the show I realized, I love here character! She grew on my subconsciously. The arc shows how far the Jedi Order has fallen in terms of values (Bariss was right but approached the problem the wrong way) and what they hold dear. It shows the beginnings of the Palpatine's military dictatorship and foreshadows Order 66. Plus the music in that episode is very moving. I can go on and on but that is my favorite arc.

So GM (since it will probably be only you and I in this discussion) what was your least favorite episode/arc?

Overall I enjoyed the series. I hated the arc with Darth Maul though. Bringing him back feels like a huge stain upon Star Wars history. For crying out loud he was cut in half and fell into a reactor. It was cool that his brother appeared but otherwise I would remove that arc from the series completely. I can't wait to watch the sixth season.

I liked it! It had some problems in the first few seasons but it definatley improved the over quality as time went by.
My favorite episode was that one when they first introduced those commando droids and they tried to take control of that clone servalence outpost. There was a part in that episode where it zoomed into a third person angle for Captian rex and it seemed a lot like a gentle nod to the battlefront series, at least in my opinion thats why they did it that way.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I may watch this show on tv now, so I can check if I missing some episodes on YouTube. Overall, it was fun show, which making StarWars universe bigger anyway, even if it have some childish episodes. Still, the only thing, I do not like - those cartoonish design style. Seems creators, in some reason, specialy decrease quality of 3D models :confused:. Perhaps it's modern fashion or something...
The favorite episodes... perhaps, Umbara and Mandalore story, was most epic.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: St. Nick Fisto on December 24, 2013, 06:35:08 PM
I have bought all seasons on iTunes and thanks to how iCloud works I can watch any episode I want at any time on either my Apple TV or my iPhone without having the actual episode stored anywhere! So because of that I watch episodes regularly. I love the show and it grew on me. I particularly love the second half of season 3 all the way to season 5.

That Ashoka arc at the end of Season 5 is by far my favorite and looks great in 1080p. I guess I'll talk about that episode arc. At first I hated Ashoka because I was that fan who thought "Anakin never had a padawan! What's this! Are they trying to ruin Star Wars?!" And unknowingly I began to like her character. By the time I saw the last episodes of the show I realized, I love here character! She grew on my subconsciously. The arc shows how far the Jedi Order has fallen in terms of values (Bariss was right but approached the problem the wrong way) and what they hold dear. It shows the beginnings of the Palpatine's military dictatorship and foreshadows Order 66. Plus the music in that episode is very moving. I can go on and on but that is my favorite arc.

So GM (since it will probably be only you and I in this discussion) what was your least favorite episode/arc?

I envy you for having all the episodes on iTunes and in iCloud no less. :(

Ahsoka was actually THE character that drove me into Star Wars: The Clone Wars! Something about her just drove me into the series, not quite sure what though. Now that you mention how the whole ending arc of Season 5 went, I see what you mean. An arcane society straying from it's previously held beliefs and traits. If anything though, I really liked how they tied the ending forwards to Episode III. Ahsoka's departure though was a bit heart-wrenching for me, but I guess it's better she left than be killed.

Note about Ahsoka:
[spoiler]
It's rumored she may appear in Star Wars: Rebels as well, based off leaked photos of the toyline to go with the series. She may also appear with Obi-Wan in the series, which will dramatically mess up canon in the Empire era. As you can tell though, Ahsoka's return is possibly the main reason why I'm excited to see Star Wars: Rebels! :D
[/spoiler]

As far as arcs go, D-Squad (just to be sure, DROID SQUAD, NOT DOMINO SQUAD), was my least favourite arc. It was too bland and distasteful for my liking, especially with the art movement being plain white in the 2nd part of the arc. The only thing I liked about the arc was the clone commando, and THE only thing I liked about that arc. The rest of it was far too childish for the way Season 5 was moving.

Worst episode however, was that one where R2 and 3PO are jumping across planets and whatnot, hated that one. It was just a pointless filler episode! Did nothing to the storyline whatsoever. :rant:

Now, BEST arc for me would've been... I gotta say it's a three-way tie between the whole Domino Squad arc, the Geonosis arc (with Brain Invaders included), and the Blue Shadow Virus arc. Domino Squad because, well it just showed brotherly love and stuff, and how we see the clones have souls too. Geonosis though actually comes out on top as favourite arc though, the whole Geonosian brain worm idea was pretty epic I thought. Blue Shadow Virus was also a pretty good arc too. Not sure why I liked it though, might've been because I admire those epidemic/near-death type episodes.

Out of personal opinion though, Mortis was an awkward arc I'l say that. It was cool to see Ahsoka evil, but the whole Light, Dark, and Father beings just made it look out of place. Like a random event during the Clone Wars on a different planet.

Quote from: Roxas on December 24, 2013, 06:40:38 PM
Overall I enjoyed the series. I hated the arc with Darth Maul though. Bringing him back feels like a huge stain upon Star Wars history. For crying out loud he was cut in half and fell into a reactor. It was cool that his brother appeared but otherwise I would remove that arc from the series completely. I can't wait to watch the sixth season.
I think brining hi back expanded his character and now I like him a lot more than before TCW. It shows that he is a real Sith not just Palpatine's failed apprentice.

Yea GM, droid arc is bad. The only good part, like you said is the commando guy.
Where are these pictures you see? Cause there is a guy on tumblr who creates TCW style characters with the "Rebels" logo.

The Mortis arc is awesome if you look back at it. It involves a lot more of the philosophical aspects of the force.

Ya know what game I just started playing that is super fun is Lego Star Wars The Clone Wars! It is extremely fun (like any Lego game) and it's a must play for any TCW fan. Just saying. ;)

What do you guys think about Ventress's character development?
I loved it and I really like her character better than before when she was just a Sith wannabee.

Quote from: St. Nick Fisto on December 25, 2013, 05:12:45 PM
I think brining hi back expanded his character and now I like him a lot more than before TCW. It shows that he is a real Sith not just Palpatine's failed apprentice.

Yea GM, droid arc is bad. The only good part, like you said is the commando guy.
Where are these pictures you see? Cause there is a guy on tumblr who creates TCW style characters with the "Rebels" logo.

The Mortis arc is awesome if you look back at it. It involves a lot more of the philosophical aspects of the force.

Ya know what game I just started playing that is super fun is Lego Star Wars The Clone Wars! It is extremely fun (like any Lego game) and it's a must play for any TCW fan. Just saying. ;)

What do you guys think about Ventress's character development?
I loved it and I really like her character better than before when she was just a Sith wannabee.

I've seen them over the internet. I actually looked over them again, and I think they might be false. However, Dave Filoni has stated Ahsoka might appear in Star Wars: Rebels. Also, these were of the Star Wars: Rebels toyline. If you have found those toyline images linked to the tumblr, then I guess they are also fake. In any case though, I'd love to see Ahsoka in that series as well. Since her fate isn't decided by the movies, it makes a highly likely chance she may be added to the series. Plus, she's no longer a Jedi, so she might be out working as a smuggler or something, possibly with Lux Bonteri? :D

I'l admit, Mortis gives more philosophical background to The Force, but that's just about it. The whole concept of it occurring randomly just rubs me the wrong way I guess. :confused:

Also, I got Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars for Wii! I played through the whole thing (also used a crap ton of cheatcodes :)), and LOVED IT! I still can't get over the Z-6 rotary cannon, love firing that thing. Just wished it had the Level Creator that Indiana Jones 2 and other games had. :(

As far as Ventress, she wasn't exactly one of the characters I paid much attention to. She was interesting as a Sith Acolyte, I'l give her that. But I guess when I think of her, I think back to that old, vengeful woman from the original Clone Wars series. In any case, Ventress' character progression was an interesting ride, and it felt more a goth girl-type of tale, except with witches. :P

In any case though, I hope Star Wars: Rebels turns out just as good (if not perhaps better) than The Clone Wars! They have lots of material to work with from Revenge of The Sith, to A New Hope, approximately 20 years of a timespan to work with. More than enough to stage the Rebel Alliance, plan a few battles, perhaps even feature Galen Marek in a few of the episodes. ;)

December 26, 2013, 01:29:47 AM #8 Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:32:46 AM by Unit 33
Incoming opinions!
Yup gonna upset you fanatics.

Holistically I did not like TCW. I understand that I am not the target audience.
Perhaps the immaturity and episodic delivery of morals would better suit me were I less cynical.
Potentially the series could have done a lot more to clean the mess created by the prequels.
It began to do so in the final series finally showing some realistic cause of Anakins' darkness and the negative public mood regarding the Jedi.
Yes I know this sort of thing might be fleshed out in novelisations, video games and whatever but the series itself seemed to forget about addressing context until the final moments.

Though the effects were enjoyable I was not utterly convinced with the art style. I understand they were trying to emulate Mcquarie, but even the dirt was clean… if you get what I mean? It got better over the development of the series.

I did enjoy the last series slightly more than the others, it is a redeeming feature.
I almost cared and was mildly invested in some plot points. Unfortunately arcs such as the one with Darth Maul and all that tosh with the robots threw me off.
Darth Maul generally was just daft.
The suspension of disbelief was ruined when he was introduced as a spider-monster hiding in junkplanet. The reasoning for his usage was simply to sell more Darth Maul toys and give Obi Wan something to do.
If anything the protagonists Obi Wan and Anakin were actually underdeveloped, while the focus was often splattered onto chance meetings of characters and the various identical clones that I couldn't give a crap about.

Maybe they've learnt their lesson by now. Series 5 was good, maybe future efforts can be better. Who knows.

Certainly Kit or someone will start screaming at me so I'll stop typing contentious opinions.

I basically liked 1-2 and 5, hated 3-4, the Ventress/whats his face that looks like Maul but yellow Arc was pretty good to follow (especially the Delta Squad cameo :D). The Domino Squad arc was really good too, it showed the casualties of war where a squad of 6 boiled down to just 1 surviving member (Good God I sound like a liberal...). The Bounty Hunter Arc (the one when they faked Obi-Wan's death) was good, the only problem I saw with it was that just drawn out a little long. The one everyone was talking about where they land on the magic force planet I didn't really like other than all the cameos, and I also saw that the guy that played the evil one also voiced Starkiller in TFU and the girl who voiced the good one also voiced Maris in TFU. either way my opinion still the same you guys can try to change it if you want
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 26, 2013, 09:04:34 AM
I basically liked 1-2 and 5, hated 3-4, the Ventress/whats his face that looks like Maul but yellow Arc was pretty good to follow (especially the Delta Squad cameo :D). The Domino Squad arc was really good too, it showed the casualties of war where a squad of 6 boiled down to just 1 surviving member (Good God I sound like a liberal...). The Bounty Hunter Arc (the one when they faked Obi-Wan's death) was good, the only problem I saw with it was that just drawn out a little long. The one everyone was talking about where they land on the magic force planet I didn't really like other than all the cameos, and I also saw that the guy that played the evil one also voiced Starkiller in TFU and the girl who voiced the good one also voiced Maris in TFU. either way my opinion still the same you guys can try to change it if you want

I realized that the Dark Son was voiced by the same guy who voiced Galen Marek, it's had to mistake Sam Witwer's voice talent. :) Didn't realize that the other person was the same who voiced Maris though, never did pay much attention to other characters in TFU, besides Starkiller and Juno Eclipse obviously. :P

I thought the Ventress/Savage Oppress arc was interesting to say the least. It was good to see a Zabrak in Star Wars again, however the fact that Savage was a dumb as a brick is what I didn't like. He was like that big kid that was always dumb, but knew how to bully others. Sure he was a bit on the sly and clever side, but he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed as far as villains go.

Also, about the Domino Squad arc. True, the entire squad did boil down to Fives as the remaining member, but after Kamino Echo was still with him (even though he sadly died in The Citadel arc... :'(). The Box arc was pretty good actually, I thought it was impressive all the disguise-tech the Jedi had available at their disposal for Kenobi. If you want a long arc though, try the stuff from Season 5, such as the Onderon arc, Younglings arc, or the Ahsoka arc at the end of the series. Don't look at the D-Squad arc though, it's seriously awful.

Anyways, I actually watched the Onderon arc today and looked back at it. It was sad to see Steela die, but I guess the price of victory comes with a cost usually. Still, it was a pretty good arc out of Season 5. :)

Sam Witwer is an amazing voice actor (he also did Darth Maul and an amazing job at that) and a very knowledgable SW fan. I have heard him multiple times on RebelForce Radio when he guest hosts and he is very interesting to listen to.

I love the how TCW personalized clone troopers. Before TCW all clones were just the same face in different armor with no personality (except for maybe Cody in RotS) but after TCW each clone has his own personality and his own story per se. The Domino Squad is a perfect example with started with the Rookies episode in season 1 (Season 1, Episode 5 don't ask how I remember that).

Here's an idea, I'll say an arc/episode and we all put our thoughts into what we thought about that arc/episode.

Discussion 1: RYLOTH ARC (Season 1, Episodes 19-21)

I really enjoyed this arc and how each episode was a different story but all connected. The first episode shows Ashoka struggling with the casualties of war and what it really means to be a leader, while at the same time breaking through a blockade to make way for Kenobi in the second episode of the arc! The second episode had some great action and some nice clone parts with that Nala girl. Obi-Wan is also just awesome when he fights and after rescuing the civilians Mace comes down to take the capital. He has to befriend some freedom fighters and remember this is the first time we see Mace fighting in the show and they make him a real bad rear! They really a great job adding to the Mace Windu we see in Ep2 and Ep3. It also shows Wat Tambor in more depth and I love how he tries to "show the price of a Republic victory" The end was great and you get to see the Lost Arc from Indy!

I'd give that arc a 7.5/10 right now (before season 3-5 I'd given it a 9/10 ;) )

What do you all think of this arc? Love it? Hate it?

The Ryloth arc was good. The first part definitely developed Ahsoka's character more, and formed some maturity in her with the reality of war, rather than just a pretty face with basic knowledge of the Jedi Order and witty remarks. The second part I thought was actually better, if not the best part of the arc. The producers took two regular clones, gave them a mission to scout, and added a little Twi'lek girl in it, just to make things interesting. It was nice to see that clones have more to them then basic protocols and such, and we get to see how the react in a situation like this. The third part of the arc I actually didn't quite like entirely. Windu's never been one of my favourite characters, though Wat Tambor's appearance was highly welcomed. My memory's a bit hazy on the third part, but I recall it to some extent. Overall, I thought the Ryloth arc was pretty good for Season 1, definitely a 9/10 before Seasons 3-5, but more so a 6 on my part, only because I don't care for Windu that much. :P

Also, Lost Ark was in the Ryloth arc? Gotta point where that was for me Kit. I'm assuming it was in the third part though. ;)

pretty much every bit of it was complete garbage because not only did it rewrite things already in existance it disregarded them and was like this is fact screw the old stuff that was already established. Take for example: i had a conversation with honzo earlier today and he was still under the impression assaj ventress was a rattakan...which WAS true and it ruined the swtor version when they made her a dathomir night sister effectively making rattakans and nightsisters look pretty much the same...orlets take a look at general grievous not only that but in the debut of him he was able to take on 3 jedi masters and 3 apprentices SINGLE handedly before mace windu crushed his lungs in the 2003 series of the clonewars when he abducted palpatine ....in the old canon....he was blown up his body essentially destroyed and rebuilt by the muun intergalatic banking for purposes as a warrior...NOW they made it that he wanted to upgrade himself rather than being forced into it....and the whole sabotage by the the jedi apprentice barris offee was the traitor which ruined the canon prior where she was blasted by an atte...adi gallia died in order 66 but now she died by getting ganked by horns... i know this goes into a whole new can of worms but the fact there are more sithlords and sith in the clone wars defies the rule of two but that goes into do you follow expanded universe canon or just straight up movie canon because jorge lucas destroyed 1-3 and made it make competely no sense to he older movies it brings up the question.....will there be sith in episode 7....following movie canon there cant be because anakin through luke destroyed the two sith master and lord rendering any remaining sith impossible due to the rule of two....but in the expanded universe there are still sith lords....so this just gets to be a jumbled mess xS sorry for getting off topic in the end but it feels right to mention that part seeing as its related...

Quote from: hellish hellbird on December 26, 2013, 11:45:00 PM
pretty much every bit of it was complete garbage because not only did it rewrite things already in existance it disregarded them and was like this is fact screw the old stuff that was already established. Take for example: i had a conversation with honzo earlier today and he was still under the impression assaj ventress was a rattakan...which WAS true and it ruined the swtor version when they made her a dathomir night sister effectively making rattakans and nightsisters look pretty much the same...orlets take a look at general grievous not only that but in the debut of him he was able to take on 3 jedi masters and 3 apprentices SINGLE handedly before mace windu crushed his lungs in the 2003 series of the clonewars when he abducted palpatine ....in the old canon....he was blown up his body essentially destroyed and rebuilt by the muun intergalatic banking for purposes as a warrior...NOW they made it that he wanted to upgrade himself rather than being forced into it....and the whole sabotage by the the jedi apprentice barris offee was the traitor which ruined the canon prior where she was blasted by an atte...adi gallia died in order 66 but now she died by getting ganked by horns... i know this goes into a whole new can of worms but the fact there are more sithlords and sith in the clone wars defies the rule of two but that goes into do you follow expanded universe canon or just straight up movie canon because jorge lucas destroyed 1-3 and made it make competely no sense to he older movies it brings up the question.....will there be sith in episode 7....following movie canon there cant be because anakin through luke destroyed the two sith master and lord rendering any remaining sith impossible due to the rule of two....but in the expanded universe there are still sith lords....so this just gets to be a jumbled mess xS sorry for getting off topic in the end but it feels right to mention that part seeing as its related...
And Even Piell...