xfire lists open spy servers

Started by Led, May 01, 2013, 07:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
use the swbf server listing for open spy and you can see player names and pings
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Got your Steam messages.

The master server doesn't effect getting the current status of an Internet server. I've attached a tool I found that I used to test this not too long ago. For information on who made it and how it works, look in the readme.

Quote from: SleepKiller on May 01, 2013, 07:20:26 PM
Got your Steam messages.

The master server doesn't effect getting the current status of an Internet server. I've attached a tool I found that I used to test this not too long ago. For information on who made it and how it works, look in the readme.

But how would it even know what to query?

Tirpider posted a link about it a while back, the Gamespy 2 protocol uses a universal method of pinging a server with slightly different bytes you can get back different information. xFire appears to know the exact packet to send to the server to get all the information relative to a SWBF game.

Quote from: SleepKiller on May 01, 2013, 07:29:11 PM
Tirpider posted a link about it a while back, the Gamespy 2 protocol uses a universal method of pinging a server with slightly different bytes you can get back different information. xFire appears to know the exact packet to send to the server to get all the information relative to a SWBF game.

I guess what I meant to say was how would it know to query openspy servers.  I guess they must be known well enough for xfire to have their master server IP.

Ah, no they ping the server directly.

There is a post by Mr Toxic (an old school ps2 player) explaining that he used a custom tool to get stats from ps2 servers.

I tried an ancient quake sever querry tool ages ago. My patience with the docs ran out before I got anywhere though.  I'll see if I can dig it up. It had specific info on querrying gamespy stuff.