[SOLVED] Black texture ingame

Started by Snake, May 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:29:25 PM by Snake
Alright, so I've got the amazingly crappy Paint shop pro 8 since Photoshop was uninstalled.  :dry: I did a simple hue adjustment and on another one I did a simple painting on a tga. Well, both textures are black ingame for no apparent reason. I think it has something to do with the color depth. I tried changing it to 8 bits but when I try to save it gives an error message that says it must be 24 bit., and then forces it into 24 bit. I have no idea what to do.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Well, I know that 32 and 64 (64bit would mean transparency channel) are what it favors, and that's what I've always used.

Also, make sure your texture is a square number such as 256, 512, or 1024 by 256, 512, or 1024. I always get goofy textures (or black/white) otherwise.

I've never tried to (or seen) use any other type of bit compression with tga files, so I think you're floating on uncharted waters there :P

Quote from: Snake on May 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM
Alright, so I've got the amazingly crappy Paint shop pro 8 since Photoshop was uninstalled.  :dry: I did a simple hue adjustment and on another one I did a simple painting on a tga. Well, both textures are black ingame for no apparent reason. I think it has something to do with the color depth. I tried changing it to 8 bits but when I try to save it gives an error message that says it must be 24 bit., and then forces it into 24 bit. I have no idea what to do.

Possibly something with unmerged layers while building the picture? :? hmm not sure
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Try gimp or paint.net instead. You probably know this but make sure RLE compression is off. with paint.net it always saves without compression when you tell it to.

Yeah, I looked for RLE compression but could never find any option for it so I assumed it was off. I found a generic "Compression" thing that I turned off and now everything works! Thanks, guys
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on May 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM
I think it has something to do with the color depth. I tried changing it to 8 bits but when I try to save it gives an error message that says it must be 24 bit., and then forces it into 24 bit.
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on May 02, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
Well, I know that 32 and 64 (64bit would mean transparency channel) are what it favors, and that's what I've always used.
And now it's time for a lesson in colour depths with SleepKiller.

8-Bit - Has a total of 256 pre-determined colours in it. The colours are usually defined at the top of the file in 24-Bit format.

Graphics cards and displays use these two. Save your texture in 24-bit or 32-bit based off if you have an alpha channel or not.
24-Bit - Uses eight bits per colour channel, doesn't have an alpha channel. Plenty of colours supported, almost the entire spectrum that your average human can see in fact.
32-Bit - Same as above only it has an alpha channel.

48-Bit - Uses sixteen bits per colour channel, no alpha channel. Supports trillions of colours, most of which the human eye can't tell apart. If you don't know why you would use this then you shouldn't.
64-Bit - Same as above only it's got an alpha channel.

This has been a lesson in colour depths with SleepKiller.

But yeah anyway sounds like the munger doesn't like the files produced by your image editing software. The common cause of this is RLE compression. We should just re-write the texture munger to handle more formats really, they just get saved into DDS with a header at the top. Wouldn't be too hard.