[tut]Sereja's Tutorial: Adding Animated Body Parts.

Started by Sereja, May 04, 2013, 05:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 04, 2013, 05:27:16 AM Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:35:40 AM by tirpider
Sereja's Tutorial: Adding Animated Body Parts.

Sorry, in this tutorial, I will not explain, how to open XSI Mod Tool, since, I already done this, in my previous tutorial: Animated Door Creating:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dcd8282a9a66c622fbae37ca6c01686e&topic=5433.0

So, you prefer modern fashion, and wish to put on, some new helmet? That's not a problem now.

Step 1.
Import Models.

First, you need to choose, what basic body, and what addon parts, you wish to have. Addons, you may easy create by yourself, or take some, from already exist models. So, for example, let's try add stormtrooper helmet, to Luke body. Copy this models, from Assets folder, and put them in to the next directory:
C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\ModTool_Database\Models
Open new Scene, with your XSI Mod Tool, and create Null, in your choosed  window, for Explorer.
Click: ZETools>Import MSH, and choose your model directory:
C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\ModTool_Database\Models\imp_inf_stormtrooper.msh
Than, click Import button.
Now, you should see, a stormtrooper model, with lot of colorfull bones. You need only a helmet, so, in Explorer window, you need to start clicking, on tiny bone "pluses", till, you open all hierarchy tree, and find model, named Imp_inf_Trooper_Helmet.
So, drag it, in to your just created Null. Now, click on DummyRoot, by left mouse button, then click middle mouse button, and then, Delete button, from your PC keyboard. Well, now you got only the helmet. Let's edit it, a lttle bit.
Click, by left mouse button to helmet, so, it should become white. Under Modify panel, click Poly.Mesh>Weld Boundary Points/Edges, and set Distance 0,002, in pop up window. This, should fix disconected polygons, and sharp edges problem. Next, under Modify panel, click Poly.Mesh>Quadrangulate. This, should decrease no needed triangle polygons.
So, it's now, time for body. Import, with ZETools all_inf_Luke.msh, just like you done with imp_inf_stormtrooper.msh. You may done the same improvements, with each part, of the Luke body, just like you done, for stormtrooper helmet.
Also, you will need to hide some parts, like sv_luke (shadow), hp_weapons, bone_root, by just click "H" button, from your keyboard. Now, when you finish with improvements, drag Imp_inf_Trooper_Helmet model, in to the DummyRoot.

Step 2.
Animation.

Change purple Model theme, to green Animate theme. In Luke bones hierarchy tree, find bone, named bone_head, and you may unhide it, by clicking "H".
Now, click on Imp_inf_Trooper_Helmet, and under Deform panel, click: Envelope>Set Envelope>Yes, in pop up window. Your cursor, should be changed to "pick", and now, you must not click at anything, except bone_head null. After that, just click right mouse button. That's it! Your animated helmet is ready. Now, just click left mouse button, on DummyRoot, then click middle mouse button on it, click ZETools>Export MSH, and check the model in game.

What? You expect something more difficult? Nope. It's just a matter of few "clicks".

Well, if you have more time, you may also edit shadow, by improve polygons, etc.
Also, if you wish to add more complicated part, like a bag, or breathe pipes etc. which may have more than 1 enveloped bones, you need, to separate such addon to a parts, and envelope each part separately. Then just merge animated parts to single mesh, by clicking under Create panel Poly. Mesh>Merge>Mege Materials, UV, etc.>Merge Shape Animation, Envelope etc. Than edit animated points, to make them belonged to correct bones, by clicking, under Select panel: Point, than hold Alt, and click on points, you wish to change. Then, under Deform panel, click Envelope>Reassign Localy, and choose bone, which those points must be belonged.

Happy 3D Modeling! :)

edit by tirpider: tagged title (you had it tagged, just added brackets and changed the icon to !)
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

May 04, 2013, 06:16:48 AM #1 Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:33:56 AM by -RepublicCommando-
Very good, this is how I've sowed on multiple jetpacks, heads, helmets, visors, heh... even glasses now.

The one thing that helped me the most though, was how to "merge" model pieces even when they are under several bones. I've been working for days trying to figure it out, thanks!

Very good tutorial, pretty easy to understand!

Thank's! :)
I expect a lot of realy fashion models now ;).

Still, about merge separated model parts, with several bones, it was just my method, convinient to me.
Another way, it's just select your model, click Envelope, and pick several bones at ones. After that, you need to choose some points, click Envelope>Reassign Localy, and set correct animation for each of them.

Sometimes, after mege, points, belonged to different bones, stay same colored (dark blue), so, it's hard to figure out, which of them in wrong place. The solvation, is just repaint them:
In bottom, left corner, you may spot square button, with brush icon. Click on it, and in new Weight Paint panel, click Freeze. After that, double click on each of the dark blue squares, and choose any color for each of bones.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf: