Random SWBF thoughts

Started by Snake, July 15, 2013, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 15, 2013, 06:05:24 PM Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:10:27 PM by Buckler
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I had no idea they were going to go that far in SWBF! So I guess this is cut content..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

In that interview with Psych0fred didn't he say that a lot of the stuff wasn't cut content but rather the developers experimenting with the game?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 15, 2013, 06:15:43 PM
In that interview with Psych0fred didn't he say that a lot of the stuff wasn't cut content but rather the developers experimenting with the game?
Yeah basically they were testing ideas but they also had a time limit for release so a lot of stuff was dropped early on.

I actually saw psych0fred say that it was cut because it was an extra animation that ate up memory. Now days that may seem hard to believe, but let's look at how much memory a PS2 and Xbox had.

PS2 32MB with 4MB eDRAM.
Xbox 64MB.

(Keep in mind the PS2 does have that eDRAM which probably brings it a bit closer to the Xbox's capabilities.)

So... Yeah, they didn't have a whole lot of memory to play around with. They needed to optimize where ever they could. Creating content for a console is nothing like modding the PC version. We have much larger memory pools to play around with compared to them.

So why didn't they just cut them from the console versions but keep them for the PC? Well development costs. It was probably easier to just cut them from all versions rather than having to maintain them for the PC at an extra cost. (Psych0fred has also said they made both games in under a year, most AAA games spend 2-3 years being made. Pandemic pulled off something that is seldom done with out the games sucking.) Time wasn't on there side.

Quote from: SleepKiller on July 15, 2013, 10:36:25 PM
(Psych0fred has also said they made both games in under a year, most AAA games spend 2-3 years being made. Pandemic pulled off something that is seldom done with out the games sucking.) Time wasn't on there side.

I know this isn't exactly a topic I'd post in (because I'm not a modder), but I always did wonder why the release dates for both games were so close. Now I know. I think it would still be interesting to see what Battlefront would've looked like if they tried to make it with 2-3 years time to spend. :)

SWBFII would have been a lot more complete and probably a better game. I don't think I would want SWBFI to be any different than it was/is. Except the server shutdown.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 16, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
SWBFII would have been a lot more complete and probably a better game. I don't think I would want SWBFI to be any different than it was/is. Except the server shutdown.

I think if they'd spent the time they'd normally have, SWBFII wouldn't have existed as most of its features would probably have been in SWBF. SWBII was more or less tinkering or improving what they already had.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on July 16, 2013, 02:12:37 PM
SWBII was more or less tinkering or improving what they already had.
The one thing they screwed up on was the AI. AI in SWBFI are way better.