IMPORTANT NEWS: SWBF Engine has no name!

Started by SleepKiller, July 25, 2013, 03:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 25, 2013, 05:16:18 PM #15 Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:23:41 PM by SleepKiller
Quote from: Epifire on July 25, 2013, 05:07:09 PM
I'm just gonna slot in a * and assume we can just call it what ever we want at this point.

Since by the sounds of it, the engine never had an official name I would guess that we could just keep calling it Zero Engine cause it fits. There are no developers using it anymore, I mean we are the only developers using it. :slap:
Is it really that hard to refer to it as SWBF's engine? Come on guys, don't spread misinformation. Sure this is a small thing but what's to stop you from doing it to something bigger if you can't even stop calling a game engine it's false name?

EDIT: Sorry if I am coming across harsh or mean. It is not my intention.

Well I think the point is a name is a name, and we've used the same one for so long it really makes no difference because we are the only ones using it. I mean no offence but I don't see the point in trying to change what everyone refers to it as, because it's not even current anymore.

-The company that used and built it was shut down.
-The company that supported it financially was shut down.

I would feel more led to call it something else if a developer actually gave us the real name it was referred to internally. Calling it Zero Engine isn't a big deal as I see it, cause it does refer to a game it originally was built under. Sort of legacy support in respect to it's origins. Much like the Quake engine and others using a similar first game, first name sort of strategy.
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: Epifire on July 25, 2013, 05:52:19 PM
-The company that supported it financially was shut down..
EA or lucasarts?

I've seen references to a "frontline" folder in my research.
That's a cool name, but more likely the development title than an engine name.

Quote from: Ltin on July 25, 2013, 06:31:16 PM
EA or lucasarts?

Oh yeah I could be wrong but I thought Lucasarts produced the games. Either way, any of the companies that would have cared about something no longer are around to voice an opinion.
photobucket limit image removed

Well the creators didn't name it so we get to! Duh! SWBF1's is Sally.

SWBF2's is being debated between Jerry, Jeff, and Izolta..
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: tirpider on July 25, 2013, 06:48:39 PM
I've seen references to a "frontline" folder in my research.
That's a cool name, but more likely the development title than an engine name.

There's something like that referenced in the exe, I think it's what they pretty much called the ingame interface from looking at developer notes in the .lua files.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I don't mind the name SWBF Engine. Zero Engine also sounds ok but is technically inaccurate. I might just call it the Fred Engine though :P

Quote from: Epifire on July 25, 2013, 06:50:20 PM
Oh yeah I could be wrong but I thought Lucasarts produced the games. Either way, any of the companies that would have cared about something no longer are around to voice an opinion.
Well, lucasarts only funded development of the games they published. So when pandemic/ubisoft (it was them that partnered right?) were bought by ea, it became ea's problem.
I dont think pademic used an in house engin after they were bought by ea though.
Zero engine was an in house engine. Battlefronts engine was an in house engine. So im calling it z3r0

Quote from: SleepKiller on July 25, 2013, 05:16:18 PM
Is it really that hard to refer to it as SWBF's engine? Come on guys, don't spread misinformation. Sure this is a small thing but what's to stop you from doing it to something bigger if you can't even stop calling a game engine it's false name?

EDIT: Sorry if I am coming across harsh or mean. It is not my intention.

Hehe, this sounds like something I'd say.