File opener

Started by Black Water, January 25, 2013, 04:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What file opener do you use to open tga, msh? I used to open those files with windows photo viewer but that was on my pc, but now when I try to open them with photo viewer it does not open. Can you guys tell me if you use anything different instead of windows photo viewer so I can download it. Thanks.

http://www.gimp.com (or http://www.gimp.org I think)
Personally, I use Microsoft Image Composer, but I had to buy that for over 40$, so yeah... :P

Does gimp really open the files? I need something to open it, not to edit it. Unless gimp does that :P

Quote from: Peanut on January 25, 2013, 05:02:03 PM
Does gimp really open the files? I need something to open it, not to edit it. Unless gimp does that :P
Uh, Editing and openning is the same thing?... Just don't do anything to them if you don't want it to be changed.

OR, are you talking about openning a 3D file? (tga is not the 3D file incase you are wondering)

I want to open the tga files, when I try with paint or windows photo viewer it wont work :s , like the rep trooper, could it be because i am a windows 8?

If you can get your hands on a student discount, I'd highly recommend purchasing photoshop. It's an all-around amazing application and is completely worth learning. It's expensive... but every penny is worth it.

However if you have no interest in modifying tga files, go for GIMP. It'll open them just fine.

#TYBG

Err, Mart, this is what the Trooper's TGA file looks like.
(And why would your version of computer have to do with any of it?)

Quote from: aeria. on January 25, 2013, 05:18:59 PM
If you can get your hands on a student discount, I'd highly recommend purchasing photoshop. It's an all-around amazing application and is completely worth learning. It's expensive... but every penny is worth it.
I second that.

tga files can be opened in just about any image viewer or editor.

I use IrfanView for general image browsing. (Mind that it doesn't save 32 bit tga's, so it will break alpha channels for SWBF tga's if you save them with Irfanview.)

I use Paint.NET for tga editing.

MSH files get tricky.
There is the SWBF MSH viewer (here) That is pretty much the standard for viewing MSH files. It doesn't render special colored materials or cloth.

And some SWBF msh files can be viewed in 3D Object Converter. It's shareware, but it's limitation is it can't save or convert, so it's a perfectly fine viewer for the files it will open.  It will not render cloth either.
[spoiler]It uses the NDXL tag to render polygons and some programs either don't build the NDXL correctly or simply omit it because it is depreciated. Those msh files won't load into 3DOC or be able to be used for xbox or ps2 munging.[/spoiler]

UltimateUnwrap3d can open SWBF msh files. (I don't know it's address cause I don't use it.)

As for what works on Vista, Mac, Win 7, Win 8, or any other fancy OS, I can't say cause I don't use them.

Hm, I will check if those work when I get on laptop. Yes RC I know how they look :p , I opened them on pc, but It does work anymore, my laptop doesnt open those files with the program i used to open it with on my pc, thanks for the links Tirpider

Quote from: tirpider on January 25, 2013, 05:28:30 PM

I use IrfanView for general image browsing. (Mind that it doesn't save 32 bit tga's, so it will break alpha channels for SWBF tga's if you save them with Irfanview.)

Me too,its very good and easy.

I am use Paint Shop Pro 7, for open tga files, but I am afraid, this software, is not free. Still, it is very friendly, in case of alpha channel edition.
msh files, can be opened, by many programs, but most easy way - open it, with text editor. Of'course, in this case, you can't edit it, but may see, what exactly tga, belonged for it.
I am also use BFViewer, HEX editor, and XSI Mod Tool & ZETools, for open them, for different purpose.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Photoshop is great for editing files Im not as sure about opening some files but you can try. There may be cheaper versions around (aka look on youtube)