Closed
2 (22.2%)
Closed
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 06:42:08 PM

Radar can be distributed if wanted.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Let me clarify a point: If radar is permitted, it would be optional and a link to download radar would be distributed to anyone who wanted it.

Personally, I have no opinion on the radar issue. I only wish it wasn't an issue.

July 28, 2013, 10:06:05 PM #2 Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:27:11 PM by Phobos
I've already released radar mod publicly, although the link has not been posted yet on SWBFGamers yet. Buckler told me it is fine to post the radar mod here, but I will only do so if Radar is going to be allowed for sure in the ICW3.

Quote from: Oven on July 28, 2013, 06:45:53 PM
Let me clarify a point: If radar is permitted, it would be optional and a link to download radar would be distributed to anyone who wanted it.

Personally, I have no opinion on the radar issue. I only wish it wasn't an issue.
Does this mean radar will be permitted or not, based on the majority vote on this thread? Or will the admins Oven Shazam Helios have a discussion on the matter to determine whether or not radar is to be allowed?

Personally radar ruins the fun of the game. And I mostly just play for fun although I do have a competitive side ;). However there is the problem that people may still use radar whatever the outcome so as much as I would like it not to be involved in this tournament I don't think it matters that much :(

Quote from: Phobos on July 28, 2013, 10:06:05 PM
Does this mean radar will be permitted or not, based on the majority vote on this thread? Or will the admins Oven Shazam Helios have a discussion on the matter to determine whether or not radar is to be allowed?

Ultimately, I think it should be up to individual clans.  UEF and FC will most likely promote radar, but I know that YAK will not be the only clan with a majority of anti-radar players. 

Could we add radar into the AddOn maps and have a radar map pack and a normal one?  I am fairly certain that could be possible.

If it is possible to add radar into mod maps, I would prefer if half the maps had radar and half of them were normal as a compromise.  Whether or not we could decide which maps had radar and which didn't is a whole different story, though.

Quote from: {212} Nixo on July 29, 2013, 04:29:17 AM
Personally radar ruins the fun of the game. And I mostly just play for fun although I do have a competitive side ;). However there is the problem that people may still use radar whatever the outcome so as much as I would like it not to be involved in this tournament I don't think it matters that much :(
Well everyone has their own opinions of what is fun, and also many players don't think it ruins the fun, so I think the admins should decide what is acceptable. The same logic applies to special units, vehicles, etc.

Quote from: Phobos on July 29, 2013, 05:50:30 AM
Well everyone has their own opinions of what is fun, and also many players don't think it ruins the fun, so I think the admins should decide what is acceptable. The same logic applies to special units, vehicles, etc.

yeah i have never had a problem with it. it doesn't ruin the fun.

July 29, 2013, 07:33:41 AM #7 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:59:29 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: Shazam on July 29, 2013, 04:37:45 AM
Could we add radar into the AddOn maps and have a radar map pack and a normal one?  I am fairly certain that could be possible.

If it is possible to add radar into mod maps, I would prefer if half the maps had radar and half of them were normal as a compromise.  Whether or not we could decide which maps had radar and which didn't is a whole different story, though.

I kind of like that idea, it would be a sort of assurance that one side doesn't have an advantage over the other team. (At least, for some maps.)

Personally myself, I have never been one to use radar. I find in a sense it sort of pits the player as "superior" to the other players without it. I know it is now distributed publicly, but I still like the suspense of never-knowing where your opponent is, over knowing where he is and work out a solution to effectively kill them without knowing.

But hey, I'm the run-n'-gun charging kind of guy anyways, everyone has their own style. :P

EDIT: I've fixed my correction there, Phobos.

plz lock this thread since ppl are still insisting its a 'cheat'
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on July 29, 2013, 07:33:41 AM
I kind of like that idea, it would be a sort of assurance that the other side isn't cheating. (At least, for some maps.)

I don't think it should be allowed on all maps as it takes out the stealth part of the game but perhaps as a compromise it could be decide by the attackers if it's allowed or the mod map idea is good. If enough people like radar it should be used occasionally as long as there is a firm rule.
I won't use it as I don't enjoy it but if I know the other team is using it I can change my play style to suit.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I do not care about the radar. Allow it or not. But IF allowed, give it out to everyone for fairness. Then it is up to every single player to decide wheter he/she wants to make use of it or not. But no complains after that then.
Unleashed Elemental Forces - Professional esport since 2005

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on July 29, 2013, 07:33:41 AMover knowing where he is and work out a solution to effectively kill them without knowing.

It makes it more fun because you get to plan out how u are going to kill the opponent, rather then have to find the opponent then make a plan. By the time you find the opponent, its usually to late to make a plan. So to me, playing with radar can be more fun then playing without it.

For me, it's a situation where it is the player's preference.  I've known how to use radar mod for a long time, but I rarely use it.  I have no problem with those who choose to use it.  I find the suspense of not knowing where the opponent is exciting.

And now that it is open source pretty much, anyone can use it.  So, if you think the person across from you is using radar and is gaining a great advantage by it, it's your fault for not doing the same.  And don't say "I'm too lazy" as an excuse.  Get someone to help you then, most of us won't bite.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

July 29, 2013, 03:32:01 PM #13 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:38:22 PM by Shazam
To all you modders out there, could this be possible?

Quote from: Shazam on July 29, 2013, 04:37:45 AM

I know you can create custom sides for mod maps, but do the sides munge with the map, or can you put it in the map's AddOn directory seperate?

If that is not possible, then I feel that anyone that wants to use radar can, and if you don't want to use it, then no one is forcing you to.  With that said, it would be nice to have some radar-free battles.  Some people would prefer that their opponent is not using radar if they aren't.

I don't mean to start any arguements.  I know that some people would prefer no radar whatsoever, so I think it would be a fair compromise to have radar-free battles every now and then.

July 29, 2013, 03:45:20 PM #14 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:47:05 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Shazam on July 29, 2013, 03:32:01 PM
To all you modders out there, could this be possible?

I know you can create custom sides for mod maps, but do the sides munge with the map, or can you put it in the map's AddOn directory seperate?

If that is not possible, then I feel that anyone that wants to use radar can, and if you don't want to use it, then no one is forcing you to.  With that said, it would be nice to have some radar-free battles.  Some people would prefer that their opponent is not using radar if they aren't.

I don't mean to start any arguements.  I know that some people would prefer no radar whatsoever, so I think it would be a fair compromise to have radar-free battles every now and then.
Yes this is possible, but inconveniant.

Basically u would need to recompile each mission lvl from the mod map u wanted to "force" players to use DC: (addon) side LVL instead of stock. this means everyone woudl need to download new mod map packs, u could save space by calling it from a special folder for each mod map but still reconstructing each addon mission LUA (most source not included) would take alot of time. i have better things to mod.

Pretty much its possible but i cant think of any1 willing to do that much tedius modding and most players would find it more difficult than simply installing radar mod or removing it.

plus it would most likely break OC with players not using the modified missions for those mod maps