ImpactEffect Values [solved]

Started by Phobos, October 05, 2014, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 05, 2014, 11:54:28 AM Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:03:13 PM by Phobos
bolt ImpactEffect
bolt ImpactEffectRigid
bolt ImpactEffectShield
bolt ImpactEffectSoft
bolt ImpactEffectStatic
bolt ImpactEffectTerrain
bolt ImpactEffectWater

what are the differences of these values? more importantly which one is for units?

Quote from: snake http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=2028These are pretty important. These are the effects that happen when you shoot a certain surface. So ImpactEffectRigid for example would probably mean a wall or building. ImpactEffectShield would be like a droideka shield.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 08, 2014, 09:29:07 PM
ImpactEffectSoft is the one for units. ImpactEffectStatic is for props I think, I don't know what ImpactEffectRigid does. (Vehicles/buildings maybe?) The rest are all fairly obvious.

Ok good, so for my mod
Flamethrower will have a sticky fire for units, no stick for buildings, and a steam IE for water.
Regular guns will have bloodspray IE for soft, sawdust IE for static, and dirtspray IE for terrain, default water.

ImpactEffectSoft is the one for units. ImpactEffectStatic is for props I think, I don't know what ImpactEffectRigid does. (Vehicles/buildings maybe?) The rest are all fairly obvious.

Maybe the Rigid one is for rocks?

Makes sense to me...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on October 09, 2014, 01:01:18 PM
Maybe the Rigid one is for rocks?

Makes sense to me...
yeah i was thinking it might be vehicles, possibly the droideka. if so ill set this impacteffect to the default spark.

To remember soft is for units, I always think of "Soft Skinned" meshes (animated to look less sharp, therefor, soft).

Generally "Rigid" or "Rigid Body" would have to do with some shape that cannot usually be substituted with some basic shape, or of an "odd" shape. Think convex or concave.

The Imperial tank is not a sheild, it isn't really a soft skinned mesh, it moves, so it isn't static, and it's definitely not terrain or water. What's left to choose? But of course, it's a rigid body!

Normally, you wouldn't want any blood splattering when you fire upon this Imperial tank, so that can be one of the many uses for these impact types.

Now, saying that impact type rigid is for rocks makes sense, but the "static" and "rigid" are kind of similar.
That is to say, they are similar in the sense that the engine will grab the model and make a collision either exactly like, or an optimized version of it. Since your rock is a prop and it doesn't move, it is classified as "static."

Are all of these Values just different 3D Animations?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

If you use animation to mean effect, than kind of. The values themselves aren't animations/effects, but they direct the game to the effect to use when the bolt hits a certain type of surface.

This is rep_weap_inf_pistol_ord.ODF[spoiler]
[OrdnanceClass]
ClassLabel = "bolt"

[Properties]
ImpactEffectWater = "watersplash_ord"

LaserTexture = "bluelaser_L"
LaserGlowColor = "18 44 239 100"

LightColor              = "18 44 239 100"
LightRadius             = "4.0"

LaserLength = "0.75"
LaserWidth = "0.09"
LightRadius             = "5.0"

ImpactEffectSoft = "ord_explosion"
ImpactEffectRigid = "ord_explosion"
ImpactEffectStatic = "ord_explosion"
ImpactEffectTerrain = "ord_explosion"
ImpactEffectWater = "watersplash_ord"
ImpactEffectShield = "ord_explosion"

ExpireEffect = "ord_explosion"

LifeSpan = "1.5"
Velocity = "200.0"

MaxDamage = "40.0"
VehicleScale = "0.0"
ShieldScale = "1.0"
PersonScale = "1.0"
DroidScale = "1.0"
BuildingScale = "0.05"

OrdnanceSound = "com_weap_inf_ord_hum_sm"
CollisionSound = "imp_weap_ord_exp"
[/spoiler]

All of those Impact types are the same in this stock ODF. That is why you see the same mini explosion or spark effect when hitting all these different surfaces.

If you wanted to make it show blood splatter effects when hitting a character, you would need to have the bloodspray effect file in a subdirectory of the side builder (you can put it in MSH or ODF, but it helps with organization to just create a folder called "Effects").

Then you change the value of ImpactEffectSoft to the name of your bloodspray.FX file (without the extension
so ImpactEffectSoft    ="bloodspray")

after you munge you should see that effect displayed only when hitting a unit with the republic jettrooper commando pistol.

You can find other large explosions and put they're values in instead, so you'd see a huge explosion when firing a pistol at someone :P

that's really cool!

could there be an effect for the Bolt to be randomly deflected in a direction if it hits something?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Currently existing stock ones? That's a negative.
Can it be done? Yes, and that's a great idea, actually..
edit- Just thought for a second; It would only be an effect, and it isn't an actual ordnance, so it cannot do damage or anything like that, unfortunately. It would still look neato

I used to be able to edit effects, but I can't remember how I had that glitchy mod tool set up to make it work. Even when it did work, I could never see it without guessing and shoving it ingame.

You could probably do something that just looks like illuminated chunk effects.

The great thing is, you can have multiple effects in one file, and playing at desired times, you could probably have neat "fake" decals for bullet holes too. Just remember that effects tend to get pretty graphics intensive with battlefront, so don't over do it.

Another thing that would be great is adding bullet shell spray from the center/top of the weapon with the muzzle flash effect, but that's a bit off topic.

Come to think of it, I just should just write my own effect's tool, and then I'll just make it able to save in different formats with some sort of simple plugin scheme.. I sure wish there were 5 of me :P

Quote from: RepublicCommando on October 11, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
The great thing is, you can have multiple effects in one file, and playing at desired times, you could probably have neat "fake" decals for bullet holes too. Just remember that effects tend to get pretty graphics intensive with battlefront, so don't over do it.
I called on default medium and large explosions for shotgun bullet ordnance impacteffect and expireeffect, just 10 salvos of these fired at once dropped my FPS from ~250 to 40-60 lol.
Although my video card and CPU can support so much more than the swbf engine default limits, its too bad we dont know how to increase them.

whats more is that the effects dont even have all the more modern components of collision, differed rendering, or vertex lighting..

Differed fast rendering would totally transform battlefront.. One of the DirectX example projects that comes with the sdk for visual studio shows this, and its so friggin realistic, but uses crappier particles than some of battlefronts stock oned