Today I learned: Campaign once followed Rebels

Started by Michaeluj, March 20, 2019, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I finally got my hands on the issue of PC Gamer Magazine that reputedly had the very first leak of Battlefront 2 in March 2005, when BF2 was 6 months into development and had about another 6 more months left. In it, there's a very interesting passage which describes the Tantive IV level as involving you helping Leia and the droids reach the escape pods (paraphrasing Producer Dan Pettit). Who knows for sure when the story would change to solely cover the perspective of the 501st instead, but it would be another 2 months before that legion is even mentioned. Clearly, the dev team was undergoing some major changes to the story in the early months of 2005.

There's a few more neat details, like how BF1 pilots and Wookiees were still being used. Man, I love learning how the game changed during development.

The 501st view point was a great vehicle to show the transition from Clone Wars to Galactic Civil War.

A Rebel view point would really suit the transition from the Galactic Civil War to First Order–Resistance war; which is almost what they were going for in SWBF2 (2017).

Hopefully we get something more like that one day, especially with the great canon contribution that is Battlefront Twilight Company (still one of the best new canon books).

QuoteA Rebel view point would really suit the transition from the Galactic Civil War to First Order–Resistance war; which is almost what they were going for in SWBF2 (2017).

I remember in the reveal trailer when Iden said that she was waiting 30 years for revenge, while showing footage of the First Order. That implied that she never would have changed sides. Sure, one of the devs said in an interview that they never intended to tell the story about how the First Order came into existence, but clearly there was once some thought in place to cover Iden's perspective of the era transition as a bad guy instead.

QuoteHopefully we get something more like that one day, especially with the great canon contribution that is Battlefront Twilight Company (still one of the best new canon books).

Oh, I love that book! I'm not sure that it would make a good campaign, though, given how much characterization is given. There's a lot of subtle cues in the dialog which, unless an adaptation were to undergo major revisions, would require MGS4-length cutscenes. Still, there was a lot of cool set-pieces that would certainly be welcome in a game.

Quote from: Michaeluj on March 21, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Oh, I love that book! I'm not sure that it would make a good campaign, though, given how much characterization is given. There's a lot of subtle cues in the dialog which, unless an adaptation were to undergo major revisions, would require MGS4-length cutscenes. Still, there was a lot of cool set-pieces that would certainly be welcome in a game.
Oh sure, maybe not a direct adaptation, but the planet hoping nature of the Twilight Company with characters that class-like specialities would have been a good fit, kinda like Republic Commando + Battlefront.