24/7 Direct Connection and DC/PC dual hosting

Started by Led, November 05, 2009, 12:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 05, 2009, 12:26:24 PM Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:33:36 PM by Buckler
Hi MPCgamers,

A series of events has led me to be able to provide a (nearly) continous 24/7 direct connection server.

Some of you may know that I have been hosting PC servers for some time now, taking them down for the occasional DC event.

JediKiller provided me with information on Nuclear Fallout (NFO) game servers, and I am renting them for my PC clan, {PLA}.  Right now, it's for a three month duration, but I hope to extend it.  The cost is not terrible ($37/month) for a virtual dedicated server, which beats the heck out of renting a fully dedicated machine.

In any event, this frees up my home server to host DC's.  (No one has been able to figure out how to get a DC to run remotely).  So, I can host mod maps and standards, with probably about 24 slots without many lag issues.  The server can be left up except for map changes and the rare event that I need another server for {PLA} to use.

As a bonus (to me) I discovered that you can host a DC *and* a PC internet server.  Start the DC, then ALT-TAB out of it, then start the PC dedicated server.  The DC will take the first port, and the PC server will take the second port.  (PC dedicated servers are designed to be able to run two at a time.)  I tried this out for me and it worked.  Hopefully it will work for everyone else too.  This will allow me to leave a private PC server up for training while I run a DC.

I will start running a DC this Saturday 11/7/09.  My IP is 76.18.114.96.  Please reply with what maps you want to play.

Pi-man--if you have that tool working that provides the player list for DC's, let's see if we can get that integrated into the MPCgamers site somehow.  One problem I see with a 24/7 DC is that it's only going to be fun if we can gather a crowd, and nothing gathers a crowd better than knowing that a few players are on a server.

I can make a post with maps on it like I did for the former MXG site.  However, I am not going to provide mod map links like I did before--it simply takes too much time.  So, if someone wants to provide map links, or make sure the files are uploaded to MPCgamers, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Buckler

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet