Previous topic - Next topic

iOS or Android?

iOS
9 (56.3%)
Android
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Quote from: Disciple on February 16, 2013, 03:38:39 AM
Recently i updated my phone with a new android and it installed a program that made the sound way better,it is called XLoud.
I googled it and it looks like it just increases volume. I can really only see the quality of the sound being less than or equal to the original. It's really a hardware limitation (and unfortunately it's hard go find specifications for this stuff online.)

Quote from: Joseph on February 15, 2013, 09:39:59 PM
One thing to note that's not related to the OS is sound quality, I switched to an Android from an iphone and although I'm very pleased with it in almost all other respects, the sound card on the android is really abysmal. I had to get a separate mp3 player in order to listen to music.

I don't know if this problem is specific to the brand (motorola) or if it plagues most androids, but it's something to take into consideration before making a purchase.

iphone on the other hand has very good sound quality.

http://www.teddypig.com/2012/03/apple-ipod-wolfson-dac-why-all-ipods-are-not-equal/

February 16, 2013, 08:17:05 PM #17 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:22:26 PM by Joseph
Quote from: BlackScorpion on February 16, 2013, 07:08:19 PM
http://www.teddypig.com/2012/03/apple-ipod-wolfson-dac-why-all-ipods-are-not-equal/
yeah, that fits with my experience. my 2nd gen nano (wolfson card) has better audio than my iphone 4 (cirrus) did, which in turn had better quality than my motorola (can't find).

The sansa "clip zip" which can be had for $40 at your local best buy, sounded better in my ears even than my nano, at least on first impression (I didn't follow up with other tests because the microsd capability sealed the deal). (However, the volume capacity is slightly (but not irritatingly) less. ) Not to mention it plays a much larger range of formats. I can't recommend it enough.

Sansa>Apple. I just wish generally that all these companies were more up front with what hardware goes into their products. I think there's a misconception that headphones are all that matter, or that headphones+file quality is all that matters. I naively assumed this until recently, but it's wrong.

For games, both share some and have their own. But for me iOS provides the apps I prefer :P