SWBF Mac/PC Servers Explained

Started by aeria., September 12, 2009, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 12, 2009, 12:17:33 PM Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:35:07 PM by ag
This post was made for the certain people who ask the same questions over and over again. I will now explain how SWBF servers work in the most informal language I do.

Gamespy Server: A multiplayer service EXCLUSIVE for SWBF PC players.

Gameranger Server: A multiplayer service EXCLUSIVE for SWBF MAC players.

Direct Connection
: This way of hosting is independent from GS/GR. This is the only way to host a server where both Mac and PC players can join. You start a server with you only. People join your IP address. This type of hosting does not allow server lists (Gametracker for example) to recognize you.

Dedicated Server: Similar to a Direct Connection server. The server is faster this way although you must use another computer with SWBF if YOU want to join.

Dedicated Server Software: A majority of PC servers use this. It allows you to host a Dedicated server on GameSpy without you having the game running. The downside to this is that only PC players can join. Like regular dedicated servers, you must use another computer if you want to join your own server.

MPCGamers.com's server is PC only because it uses the Dedicated Server Software.  There is no Dedicated Server Software for Gameranger/Mac Users.

Quote from: Captain Rex on September 15, 2009, 09:48:18 PM
I dont understand why people use gamespy.

Quote from: Buckler on September 15, 2009, 11:44:29 PM
The Mac equivalent of this question is "I don't understand why people use Gameranger." 

It's not a choice if you select the Internet Option to play a game using the PC version of
SWBF.  The upside is that you can easily see who is playing in any PC SWBF server, because it's all tracked with Gamespy.  The lists are available via widgets like Jedikiller has installed, and is also available by programs like xfire.

It is not possible, as far as I know, to get a list of players that are playing with Direct Connection.

Buckler

Useful Links:
Port Forwarding Instructions
Dedicated Server Software
A Useful List of Commands

#TYBG

Nice writeup. Pinned :)

Any reason for Tech Support rather than SWBF?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

No particular reason why I posted it here. Move it to SWBF section if you wish.

#TYBG

One thing you might want to add to Dedicated Server software. I noticed that you cannot have it running at the same time as battlefront on the same computer

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Yeah I'd might as well repeat that...
*goes to edit it*

#TYBG

Quote from: Captain Rex on September 15, 2009, 09:48:18 PM

The Mac equivalent of this question is "I don't understand why people use Gameranger." 

It's not a choice if you select the Internet Option to play a game using the PC version of
SWBF.  The upside is that you can easily see who is playing in any PC SWBF server, because it's all tracked with Gamespy.  The lists are available via widgets like Jedikiller has installed, and is also available by programs like xfire.

It is not possible, as far as I know, to get a list of players that are playing with Direct Connection.

Buckler

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks Buck for the explanation. In fact, I'm going to quote that in the first post.

#TYBG

Quote from: Buckler on September 15, 2009, 11:44:29 PM

DC actually can be pinged for server stats exactly the same as a GS game. It's just few people have bothered to make it.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Quote from: Radical_Pi on September 12, 2009, 01:56:00 PM
One thing you might want to add to Dedicated Server software. I noticed that you cannot have it running at the same time as battlefront on the same computer

That's actually NOT!!! true. You CAN run them at the same time. You can also run multiple SWBF's. To run dedi and SWBF at the same time, start up SWBF. Then alt-tab, and start your server. Easy as that. As for multilogging SWBF...you need another program :)
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

@ agreeing with quik.