Do you approve of radar being used in public servers?

Started by Phobos, September 19, 2012, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: {212}Mart on October 05, 2012, 06:36:01 PM
Lol Phobos, use common sense. Does having Radar and others not having it sound fair to you? Only people who need to improve very, very much need it seems like it ;)
It does sound fair to me since the ones who don't have it didn't bother to look into how to enable it. Anyone who wants radar can find it here or in the modding tools and enable it. It's a choice each player makes how they want to play the game

Do you really want every single player to have radar?   Some of us perfer to play fair, not have advantages over others, there are still people who want to know who are the best players, not the best cheat makers.

Quote from: {212}Mart on October 05, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
Do you really want every single player to have radar?   Some of us perfer to play fair, not have advantages over others, there are still people who want to know who are the best players, not the best cheat makers.
I don't want or care if every player does or doesn't have radar. I want people to start respecting rules of the server host more rather than imposing their views on other players about how they perceive radar. Some of us recognize that advantages anyone can use are indeed fair game. We also recognize that other people want to make excuses and accuse skilled players of 'cheating' just because they use advantages which the server host has deemed fair. Those people try to make up any rules they want - regardless of what the host has said is allowed -  in order to label someone else a cheater.

Lol okay make more excuses so people can cheat in peace. By the way, 212 servers forbid Radar, just so you know ;)

I think if radar WAS avaIlable to the public there wouldn't be a topic like this... I'm not saying post a link here... I don't need such a mod, but if the people fighting about this mod most likely don't have the mod!!!
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: {212}Mart on October 05, 2012, 07:11:18 PM
Lol okay make more excuses so people can cheat in peace. By the way, 212 servers forbid Radar, just so you know ;)
It's only cheating in your servers or servers where the host agrees with you. And that isn't the case for PLA or most servers in this game, just so you know ;)

I don't play in 212 servers anyway, so have fun with that.

Quote from: 501st Commander Sharpshot on October 05, 2012, 07:12:05 PM
I think if radar WAS avaIlable to the public there wouldn't be a topic like this... I'm not saying post a link here... I don't need such a mod, but if the people fighting about this mod most likely don't have the mod!!!
It is right here. Public knowledge for everyone
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4487.0

Haha, if I wanted it I could get it. But nah man I perfer to play fair, why do we have to get radar and be forced to play their type of dull play, why can't they degrade and play on the fair level.

October 05, 2012, 07:19:02 PM #97 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:20:51 PM by Phobos
Quote from: {212}Mart on October 05, 2012, 07:18:09 PM
Haha, if I wanted it I could get it. But nah man I perfer to play fair, why do we have to get radar and be forced to play their type of dull play, why can't they degrade and play on the fair level.
Radar is fair for everyone who has it. If you think its unfair in a certain server, talk to the host since their opinion trumps yours (and mine). Nothing more dull than flanking, running, hiding, etc. Radar brings the action right up front just how SirPimped and most other pros prefer to play

Nobody said "you had to get radar". The only thing I said about forced radar is that for alien wars era, it will be enabled for every player. You don't have to download the mod if you don't want to nobody is forcing you.

Because they own a copy of the game... They can do whatever they want with it and they don't have to play a certain servers.

October 05, 2012, 07:24:16 PM #99 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:28:02 PM by {212}Mart
Anybody who host's swbf servers and does not allow radar please post here so they can't use it in your servers! Lol, im sure Phobos will respect your decision :rofl:       and you are forcing people to get because if we want to be as "good" as you guys we have to have radar.

Again with provoking people huh Mart... Just get it through your head that Radar is a MOD! A mod that takes the same format of a crosshair mod... A crosshair usually Allows you to have better Aim right, well radar allows you to see where your opponent is.

Quote from: {212}Mart on October 05, 2012, 07:24:16 PM
Anybody who host's swbf servers and does not allow radar please post here so they can't use it in your servers! Lol, im sure Phobos will respect your decision :rofl:       and you are forcing people to get because if we want to be as "good" as you guys we have to have radar.
I'm not forcing anyone to get radar, and your reason for thinking so is invalid since a player can be more skilled without radar than another player who has radar.

October 05, 2012, 08:21:29 PM #102 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:51:15 PM by tirpider
I'm one of the 'indifferent' votes.
This is one reason I really dig the PS2 version.
Not because another player might 'has the hax', but because it forces you to mind your position.
Radar or not, if you aren't ready when you pounce out of the shadows, you will eat a rocket.
If other folks having radar is making you lose, then you have training to attend to.

-edit
no change to the above, just wanted to add that I am not a very good player, but I am also not intimidated by the idea that someone could see me through a wall. (it is a sci-fi game, after all.)

If someone wants to use mods to thier advantage (and/or my disadvantage) it's ok, I don't get to control other people anymore than they get to control me.

(btw, lovely rant thread :P )

October 05, 2012, 09:54:08 PM #103 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:55:40 PM by Joseph
Whether or not you use client-sided mods it an inherently personal decision. The majority of (extant) radar users in this game have not posted in this thread thereby making themselves public targets, and the overwhelming majority of (total) radar users will never even see it. If you don't like it, what can you realistically do besides hand-waving? You have chosen to villanize something which is completely out of your control.

Anti-radar folks: where and why do you draw the line? If you maintain that radar is "cheating", are skin mods cheating? Crosshairs? I realize that I've asked this before but people never fail to dodge the issue. Are you at least cognizant of the slippery slope you are standing on?

(In the RepCom world, client-sided modding is not treated in such a superstitious way. Invariably among the best players in the game you see that many/most of them use a mod called, incidentally, the Phobos Client Side Mod 2.0. (Anyone using this mod makes an automatic announcement of this fact upon joining a server). What does this mod do? Among other things it enables one to see through mesh walls, drastically changes the skin of every map in order to better illuminate enemy players, and makes players' heads bright red to assist headshots. I have never seen anyone at any skill level complain about or criticize this mod. Whatever.)

Quote from: 501st Commander Sharpshot on October 05, 2012, 07:12:05 PM
Absolutely, there is no need to be hush-hush about this matter and I would like to again endorse making the mod even more available than it already is.

Quote from: Joseph on October 05, 2012, 09:54:08 PM
Anti-radar folks: where and why do you draw the line? If you maintain that radar is "cheating", are skin mods cheating? Crosshairs? I realize that I've asked this before but people never fail to dodge the issue. Are you at least cognizant of the slippery slope you are standing on?
I consider crosshairs to be cheating, notice that I have never actually released a crosshair mod. And the few I have made I don't use online. Skin mods can be used to cheat, making units stick out more, mines sticking out more, etc. I always make sure that any mod I make and then release can't be used to gain an advantage against other players in MP. I have stated this on several occasions and never try to dodge the issue.

Modding in my mind should be to add new content to the game or to update something in the game. Never to gain an advantage against other players in multiplayer.