Do you approve of radar being used in public servers?

Started by Phobos, September 19, 2012, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: 501st Commander Sharpshot on October 04, 2012, 06:43:20 PM
To end the discussion it should be aloud to be used as it is here on this very forum. The only problem is, is that your are the one to locate this thread.

There are all kinds of things that you can learn on this forum.  It is what you do with those things that are important.  Having and sharing knowledge of any particular aspect of SWBF does not imply endorsement.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on October 04, 2012, 07:06:47 PM
There are all kinds of things that you can learn on this forum.  It is what you do with those things that are important.  Having and sharing knowledge of any particular aspect of SWBF does not imply endorsement.
Well said Buckler :)

@Phobos, you do realise that the minimap hack by battlebelk is a modded exe with just two changed values? you can do that with hex-editing in one minute.

@Phobos

Mods = Changes to any files within the AddOn and _LVL_PC folders (primarily LVL files)
Hacks = Changes to the executable (battlefront.EXE)

...false..

A Wallhack is simply done with editing the meshes and the .tga files of (for example) walls...
You have nothing to edit in bf.exe and .. yes its a hack.

Wallhack = Hack

And Minimap (or Radar) is editing the bf.exe.. and thats a hack, too  ;)

But np

October 05, 2012, 10:07:19 AM #79 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:24:04 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Scarecrow on October 05, 2012, 09:58:57 AM
@Phobos

Mods = Changes to any files within the AddOn and _LVL_PC folders (primarily LVL files)
Hacks = Changes to the executable (battlefront.EXE)

...false..

A Wallhack is simply done with editing the meshes and the .tga files of (for example) walls...
You have nothing to edit in bf.exe and .. yes its a hack.

Wallhack = Hack

And Minimap (or Radar) is editing the bf.exe.. and thats a hack, too  ;)

But np

Um no, what I posted is not false, it is true. Mods change LVL files in the _LVL_PC/ADDON, and Hacks alter the EXE/DLL files. Radar is NOT an EXE edit, its a side LVL edit. You can't "wallhack" by editing msh/tga files either. A wallhack is only possible by hacking the game memory. Quit spreading disinfo.

I'll clarify:
Seeing through walls is a MOD done by editing msh/tga
Walking through walls is a HACK done with cheat engine or other program

Quote from: DEAGLE on October 05, 2012, 09:13:06 AM
@Phobos, you do realise that the minimap hack by battlebelk is a modded exe with just two changed values? you can do that with hex-editing in one minute.
You do realize I've never heard of such a thing? The only radar I've ever used is a side mod, never heard of "battlebelks minimap hack"

October 05, 2012, 10:57:02 AM #80 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:04:25 AM by Scarecrow
Haha, you're wrong, here is my little Wallhack-Video of MosEisley Cantina. And its edit of Meshes and Tga files ;)

YouTube_Link

No, seeing through walls is a Wallhack, too

October 05, 2012, 11:07:49 AM #81 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:10:15 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Scarecrow on October 05, 2012, 10:57:02 AM
Haha, you're wrong, here is my little Wallhack-Video of MosEisley Cantina. And its edit of Meshes and Tga files ;)

YouTube_Link

No, seeing through walls is a Wallhack, too

Again you are wrong and spreading disinfo. Editing the MSH/Tga files to let you see through walls is a mod, not a 'wallhack'. A wallhack is when the exe is altered to let you walk through walls. All your video is showing is a mod you aren't walking through any walls. You are just trying to make a sad excuse to call CCSC a hack. Only a fool would believe that hex editing MSH files or changing TGAs in gimp = hacking.

Haha, you're funny.
Its not possible to walk through walls in bf, cuz the collision area of the walls is set by the server. You have to hack a server for that... And a simple Wallhack IS(!) seeing through walls ;)

October 05, 2012, 11:28:40 AM #83 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:37:33 AM by Phobos
Quote from: 21 | Reacter on October 05, 2012, 11:13:22 AM
Haha, you're funny.
Its not possible to walk through walls in bf, cuz the collision area of the walls is set by the server. You have to hack a server for that... And a simple Wallhack IS(!) seeing through walls ;)

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
It is possible to walk through walls in SWBF1.
It is done using a client hack not server hack (but you do have to be hosting PC server it isn't going to work in Dedicated).
And seeing through walls is not a wall hack its a wall mod (specifically a texture reskin and model hex edit neither of which are ever considered hacks).

Do I need to take a video to prove everything I have just stated is correct? You don't know what you're talking about that has been made crystal clear.

Whats next you saying editing crosshair TGAs in gimp is a hack? Or is all of this just you trying to derail the thread by disagreeing with every single statement I make :wacko:

Regardless if his video is a "mod or hack", I cant see how a single person would call that fair game play. His video simply shows a cheat.

Seeing through walls like that is essentially the same thing as using dumbdar. Its a cheat.

Dude

Whether its the edited exe by belk or changes in the side level, it's the same effect! Why would you call one mod and the other hack if both have the same effects to the game? Sorry, but thats just completely dumb.
And in what fps is a wallhack walking through walls? By just searching for "wallhack" in youtube you get thousands of vids from different games: and they all have transparent object models or skins shining through walls. Probably just the metin2 thing on the first page is really walking through walls, but thats not a fps.

Quote from: Jamman on October 05, 2012, 03:32:34 PM
Regardless if his video is a "mod or hack", I cant see how a single person would call that fair game play. His video simply shows a cheat.

Seeing through walls like that is essentially the same thing as using dumbdar. Its a cheat.
Something is only a cheat when the server host declares it is. If server host allows specific mods and/or hacks, then it is not cheat.

Quote from: DEAGLE on October 05, 2012, 03:35:23 PM
Dude

Whether its the edited exe by belk or changes in the side level, it's the same effect! Why would you call one mod and the other hack if both have the same effects to the game? Sorry, but thats just completely dumb.
And in what fps is a wallhack walking through walls? By just searching for "wallhack" in youtube you get thousands of vids from different games: and they all have transparent object models or skins shining through walls. Probably just the metin2 thing on the first page is really walking through walls, but thats not a fps.

If there is some kind of EXE hack for radar, that still would classify it as hack - whereas the side.lvl radar mod is classified as a mod. I would call them by what they are and if multiple forms of radar existed then it would be inaccurate to confuse the two separate methodologies.

The hacks in the videos for other games very often use hacking programs (such as cheat engine) to swap out the textures for transparency, which is not the same thing as modding the msh/TGA files. In that case they are "hacking" the wall textures and you can call it a wallhack but its not the same thing as noclip which is ALWAYS a wallhack.

It is probably true that mods and hacks can sometimes achieve the same function but they are always done through very different processes. Modding is altering the game data's storage files which for swbf happens to be LVL and munged components.

October 05, 2012, 05:52:01 PM #87 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:53:57 PM by Buckler
Then I don't understand why you think it's okay to use radar hack. Because earlier you mentioned that all edited/modded exe files are hacks. And radar hack is an exe, even though it's possible to do the exact same thing with side levels. Wouldn't it make it a hack then?
Also, because of that example, you see how ignorant it is to call all edited lvl files mods and all edited exe hacks. Because lvl files can also be used as hacks.

And seriously, it's the same thing with wallhacks. It's completely irrelevant if it's by hacking transparency with cheat engine or modding it if it's the same effect. A fair player gives a  :censored: whether it's injected, hacked or modded.

edit by buckler:  no cursing here please

Quote from: DEAGLE on October 05, 2012, 05:52:01 PM
Then I don't understand why you think it's okay to use radar hack. Because earlier you mentioned that all edited/modded exe files are hacks. And radar hack is an exe, even though it's possible to do the exact same thing with side levels. Wouldn't it make it a hack then?
Also, because of that example, you see how ignorant it is to call all edited lvl files mods and all edited exe hacks. Because lvl files can also be used as hacks.

And seriously, it's the same thing with wallhacks. It's completely irrelevant if it's by hacking transparency with cheat engine or modding it if it's the same effect. A fair player gives a  :censored: whether it's injected, hacked or modded.

edit by buckler:  no cursing here please

I never stated anything about radar hack being acceptable. I am explicitly talking about the radar mod which I do accept as fair. Whatever form of radar you claim battlebelk used is not what I'm using. So you are talking about something other than what I am. It is not ignorant to call LVL files mods because they are. You cannot 'hack' LVL files quit pretending its possible because it isn't. Unless you can prove it, show me what memory edits you can maek to LVL files with cheat engine then I'll believe you. Its very ignorant to say the difference between hacks and mods dont matter because for one reason, hacks are EULA infringing whereas mods are not.

It is entirely relevent what process the person is using. If they are modding, it is acceptable in my view. hacking not so much, and the difference does matter. A fair player accepts what rules the server host lays out and does not try to force clients to play otherwise.

Lol Phobos, use common sense. Does having Radar and others not having it sound fair to you? Only people who need to improve very, very much need it seems like it ;)