Tool to change rebel and empire pilot "skins?"

Started by Kit Fisto, September 03, 2012, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys! I was wondering if there is a simple tool that lets you change the "clothes" the rebels and empire wears? For example, I want to change the rebels outfit on Mygeeto from desert to urban and change the empire pilot's armor to the at-st driver. I have 3 other maps I want to do this in, but simple hex editing doesn't work for me for some reason. :'( I've tried multiple times, and every time I fail.  >:( Even a tool that someone else can use so that I can just ask for it would be great! Please, Please tell me a tool exists, one of my "pet peeves" of addon maps is when a rebel soldier is wearing a desert outfit on for example Felucia!! :rant:
So yea, if there is or even if there isn't a tool please tell me. Thanks!!

P.S. I changed my name to just kitfisto so I hope that doesn't confuse anyone. :tu:

September 03, 2012, 11:14:20 PM #1 Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:30:29 PM by Regent
Surely you know by now?
They're called the Side Builders.
For instance, this is the IMP side builder by Battlebelk.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=306

EDIT

Oh wait a minute I just re-read what you're on about.

Pffft... what's going wrong with HEX?

Well, Kit, you could easily edit mission.lvl to change the stock worlds. I'm not at my computer at the moment, so this is just going by memory.

I know that you can change the stock world skins by simply changing the units that certain worlds call for in mission.lvl.

For example: You can change, say, Hoth skins by changing the Hoth mission.lua (I think it's hot1a or hota) It's in the mission.lvl toolbox under umm... Can't exactly remember. It shouldn't be hard to find, and im sure someone else will know.

Anyways, you can change the lines in Hoth's LUA to call for urban clothes instead of snow by changing the LUA lines that say something like this:
Add Unit Class     =  "imp_inf_troopersnow"
You could change that to "imp_inf_trooperurban" to change the troopers clothing.

Sorry I couldn't be too specific, if someone hasn't helped you by later today I can go into detail when I'm on my PC.

EDIT: you could make a skin changer... :P

best way is just using the side builders null out the overridetexture for unit odfs or change it to whatever you like. it will instruct the msh to place any tga u want over the default one. you could edit mission lvl but changing unit callouts from like desert to urban will break O.C.

Quote from: Regent on September 03, 2012, 11:14:20 PM
Oh wait a minute I just re-read what you're on about.

Pffft... what's going wrong with HEX?
every time I try to edit it and I use it the map crashes. Idk if you wanted to walk me through editing one or something like that... I'm sure I'm doing everything right!!
Quote from: Phobos on September 04, 2012, 04:32:06 AM
best way is just using the side builders null out the overridetexture for unit odfs or change it to whatever you like. it will instruct the msh to place any tga u want over the default one. you could edit mission lvl but changing unit callouts from like desert to urban will break O.C.
The thing with the side builders is that lots of the um, applications? idk, are windows exclusive. Like the munge option...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 04, 2012, 06:28:39 AM
every time I try to edit it and I use it the map crashes. Idk if you wanted to walk me through editing one or something like that... I'm sure I'm doing everything right!!The thing with the side builders is that lots of the um, applications? idk, are windows exclusive. Like the munge option...
No it's one application for each side, but yes it's windows exclusive.

Would you be able to walk me through one of them?
Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 03, 2012, 09:05:09 PM
I want to change the rebels outfit on Mygeeto from desert to urban and change the empire pilot's armor to the at-st driver.
This one maybe? I only have 2 I want to change now. Mygeeto and Mustafar. If Regent can't do a walkthrough can someone else?  :wave:

Ok so I once again tried to change the desert clothes to urban and something weird happened. It didn't crash but the only person the rebels could select was the wookiee?! :rant: I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!!!  :rant:  :confused: :(

Could someone please write a quick tutorial ( with pictures if possible ) on how to change the rebel and IMP pilot skins by hex editing the mission.lvl?  :help:

Quote from: Sha-Zam on September 04, 2012, 03:52:00 AM
Well, Kit, you could easily edit mission.lvl to change the stock worlds. I'm not at my computer at the moment, so this is just going by memory.

I know that you can change the stock world skins by simply changing the units that certain worlds call for in mission.lvl.

For example: You can change, say, Hoth skins by changing the Hoth mission.lua (I think it's hot1a or hota) It's in the mission.lvl toolbox under umm... Can't exactly remember. It shouldn't be hard to find, and im sure someone else will know.

Anyways, you can change the lines in Hoth's LUA to call for urban clothes instead of snow by changing the LUA lines that say something like this:
Add Unit Class     =  "imp_inf_troopersnow"
You could change that to "imp_inf_trooperurban" to change the troopers clothing.

Sorry I couldn't be too specific, if someone hasn't helped you by later today I can go into detail when I'm on my PC.

EDIT: you could make a skin changer... :P
Ya i would take shazams advice to make a skin changer Kit.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

If I were on a PC then I wouldn't be making this post! Lol. I'm on a Mac so if someone were to do a skin changed they would have to do it themselves.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 08, 2012, 06:56:34 PM
Ok so I once again tried to change the desert clothes to urban and something weird happened. It didn't crash but the only person the rebels could select was the wookiee?!  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!!!
Could someone please write a quick tutorial ( with pictures if possible ) on how to change the rebel and IMP pilot skins by hex editing the mission.lvl?

The units that you are trying to change them to need to already exist.  They have to have a name that is exactly the same length as what you are trying to change them from.  I think we have discussed this with you before, kit.

Save your allowance, gifts, or knock over a liquor store beg for money, but find about $200 for a low end netbook that runs windows and then you can finally munge.

Until then, you have to just try it and learn from what does not work.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

None of us can really help you in this matter since we just use the mod tools we have never had any reason to use anything different.

I'm with Buckler save up your allowances and buy a Windows netbook for playing and munging SWBF on.

Me and Buckler have found a solution. ( well kinda )  :P