Tips and tricks to the modern day FPS (help)

Started by Carbon27, May 30, 2013, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BlackScorpion on May 30, 2013, 08:02:31 PM
I can't speak for the mechanics of Battlefield, but I know for a fact that, in the Call of Duty games, you have 100 health (which I believe is the same as in SWBF?). 
Well for swbf1 stock units:
Snipers have 240 health.
Wookiee and Droideka have 450 health.
Every other unit has 300 health.

Quote from: BlackScorpion on May 30, 2013, 08:02:31 PM
I can't speak for the mechanics of Battlefield, but I know for a fact that, in the Call of Duty games, you have 100 health (which I believe is the same as in SWBF?).  There's still a notable degree to disengage if you've properly positioned yourself.
it doesnt matter whether the health is the same. Call of duty might use weapons at half the damage swbf does. Health is just a value used by the game, and nothing more. It cannot be compared to other games without also taking into account weapons

Become good at sniping, make sure you are comfortable camping a spot for 1 kill and then moving to camp another.
Learn how to quick scope.
I think blasting music is better just because it gets me hyped, while others just have the game going and are paranoid that they keep hearing footsteps behind them.
Watch the teammates that run straight into the action, they will lead you to the enemy so you don't have to search for them.

May 31, 2013, 10:44:23 AM #18 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:48:13 AM by Josh
Wow, I actually got a somewhat bad (which is good for me) score!!! This could mean I have skill! I think the kill death ratio was like 5 kills 8 deaths, normally it's like 2 kills 15 deaths  :cheer:

Thanks for the help, really made a difference in how I played. I also taught myself something. Everyone around you is dead, except the one in between your crosshairs.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

May 31, 2013, 11:44:35 AM #19 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:52:46 PM by UNIT 33
Oh you big beastly bragger.

In most FPSs there's all sorts of lingo... but you probably know about that sort of thing and don't need me to be patronising about it.

May 31, 2013, 01:34:12 PM #20 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:40:07 PM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: Phobos on May 30, 2013, 09:47:10 PM
Well for swbf1 stock units:
Snipers have 240 health.
Wookiee and Droideka have 450 health.
Every other unit has 300 health.

Darn.  Oops.
Wayyyyyy off. :-(

Quote from: Ltin on May 31, 2013, 04:41:15 AM
it doesnt matter whether the health is the same. Call of duty might use weapons at half the damage swbf does. Health is just a value used by the game, and nothing more. It cannot be compared to other games without also taking into account weapons

Actually, we're both right! :-D

You are most certainly correct that the length of a gunfight isn't determined solely by amount of health and that it needs to involve the effective damage output of your weapon!  However, SleepKiller's post made no mention of damage output and appears to be offered as a universal statement which means that it assumes that the damage output of your opponent's weapon is either a constant or higher.  Additionally, my statement holds true regardless of damage output of your opponent's weapon.

What SleepKiller said effectively boiled down to: 'You have less health in BF than in SWBF; therefore, you won't have enough time to get away from a gun fight.'
My post was that: "If you weren't careless, you can get away from a gun fight.'  And that's true, almost universally, because if you position yourself correctly, you won't get one bursted by someone with an M16 (and the players who can one burst you are the type of players who are very difficult to run away from).

Additionally, shots to kill won't determine the winner of a gun fight.  That would involve things like accuracy, the differences in time between who shot first and who shot second, and the speed of the gun.

As ltin said the health value doesn't matter at the end of the day. You could have a health value of 1.0 or 1000 and the player would never know. It is weapons that matters.I used "health" as a way to phrase it so that anyone could understand without getting into all the differences.

I have never found myself gunned down by a rifle in SWBF with out a chance to do something. SWBF's weapons are slow firing. In your typical modern FPS you get high fire rate weapons with projectiles that travel at either the real speed of a bullet(Battlefield) or instantly(COD).

Yes Scorp you can play careful, taking cover, positioning yourself well and do your best to see the enemy before they see you. But that doesn't mean a noob isn't going to get gunned down heaps when they first start playing. It also doesn't mean that you won't get caught out time to time with the enemy sneaking up behind you. If you also notice I said "You'll get better as time goes on." I didn't mean to imply that getting gunned down is something that will always happen.

Now a few key differences between  a 7th generation FPS and a 6th generation one game. (These are the general rules, I don't mean to imply that all games followed these.)

7th-
Weapons are more effective but the player also regenerates health automatically. They are the key elements. You have less time to react during a fight but if you win or survive you'll also be good to get back into the action. It's fast paced and requires quicker reflexes.
6th-
Weapons are slightly less effective and the player doesn't regenerate health automatically. They are dependant on medics/med packs. You still get gunned down, just not quite as much.