Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
0 (0%)
Somewhat
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 22, 2009, 07:56:27 PM

Here's a quick guide on how to port some PC games.

EDIT: As of now, this tutorial lacks a huge feature. I didn't know how to do it so Aeria Gloris is doing it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Here's what you need:

An Intel Mac
A DVD/CD for a PC game
The porting goodies, which can be found here
A file called info.plist, which can be found here
Patience

Here's what the porting goodies should look like:

Before you start the port you MUST download a trial version of CrossOver. The link is included in a .webloc file. Double click on that and your browser should open up to this page:

Put in the appropriate information for the download. In this case, I used John Smith and mailto:jsmith29@gmail.com">jsmith29@gmail.com (I hope no one has that e-mail) The e-mail account MUST be valid though. Don't worry, they don't send you spam. I put in my yahoo e-mail account and I didn't get spam.

Click on "Request CrossOver Mac Evaluation" It should take you to a page that looks like this:

Click on "Download CrossOver Mac 7.1.0" There are two of them. The lower one is correct.

Click on it and the download should start:

Follow the necessary instructions to install CrossOver.

In this guide I'm going to show you how to install Quake 3 Arena Demo (GAMETAPNULL.1.2.zip which expands into Cider isn't needed).

Go back to the Porting Goodies and right-click on "q3ademo.exe" Click on "Open With" the select "CrossOver Games."

Note, that q3ademo.exe was already opening under CrossOver because I've had CrossOver installed before this guide.

q3ademo.exe should open with CrossOver and look like this:

If it's recognized by CrossOver as a PC installer than it should start up the installer within 10 - 20 seconds.

Keep hitting "Next" until you reach this screen:

Make sure it's installing in c:/.

Hit "Next." The installation should start and then it's just a little waiting. When it's done just search "Quake 3 Arena Demo" and you'll find it.

Just open it up and play! You need CrossOver open to play it though. There tend to be some small glitches with ported games, like the mouse not moving like it should in Quake 3 Arena Demo but it's okay.

Okay, so now the question is, how do I install a PC game from a DVD/CD?

Follow the same instructions on how to install CrossOver and go up until the point where we start porting Quake 3 Arena Demo.

Instead of installing of a .exe we're going to install from a CD. In this case, it's going to be Star Wars Battlefront II. When you insert the CD, CrossOver Games will ask what you want it to do. Click on "Ignore"

Open CrossOver Games.

Click on "CrossOver Games Installer"

Click on "Install Unsupported Software"

Click on "Continue"

Select "New Bottle" and then click "Create Bottle and Continue"

Make the "New Bottle Name" the name of the game you're installing. In this case, we're going to name it Star Wars Battlefront II. Make the "New Bottle Type" winxp if it isn't already.

Click on "Create" Wait for the new bottle to be created.

When it's done, a screen should appear that has your CD "Choose Installer File" and "Choose Installer Folder."

Select the CD and click on Install.

The screen should now say "Preparing to Install"

Now the Star Wars Battlefront II Install should pop up.

Click on Install

Wait for this window to pop up:

Click on continue, then enter your CD key.

NOTE: This is not a real CD key. I'm not going to post my SWBF II CD key on the internet.

The installer should continue with this window:

Accept the terms and click "Next"

A screen should pop up asking if you want to do an automatic or custom install. I failed to get a screenshot of this. Just click on Automatic.

The next two windows will ask if you want to install Xfire and Gamespy. Don't install either of those.

A window will pop up and ask if you want to install the application where it is being installed. Click on "Yes"

Let the game install. If you have 5 CDs you're going to need to switch the CDs in and out when the computer tells you to.

When it's done go back to CrossOver games and click on "CrossOver Games Applications"

Open it up. There should be a folder called "Lucas Arts"

Go back to Porting Goodies and expand the GAMETAPNULL1.2.zip. It will turn into Cider.

Cider looks like this:

Right-Click on Cider and click on "Show Package Contents"

Open "Contents"

Open "Resources"

Open transgaming. You'll need to scroll down to see it.

Open c_drive

Create a new folder called "Program Files"

Drag the Lucas Arts folder from the CrossOver games folder to into the Program Files

Here's the last thing to do, right-click on Star Wars Battlefront 2, then click on package contents and open contents. Drag the info.plist into that folder and replace the old one. This is not illegal since it's merely telling the computer that the file you're running is Star Wars Battlefront II.

Go back to the Porting Goodies, and double-click on the Cider Application. It should open up as Star Wars Battlefront II. That's it, you're done.

A few things:

If you want to replace the icon, download an alternate icon here

Right-Click on the Star Wars Battlefront II application, then go to show package contents then go to contents, then resources, then drag the icon into the Resources folder and replace the old Cider one. You can't change the name of the icon because you have to replace the old one.

Changing the name of the Cider application is easy. Just select it and hit enter. Type in Star Wars Battlefront II then hit enter. The name will change to Star Wars Battlefront II.

If you have the 5 CD set with the 1st CD being the one that's needed to run SWBF II, right-click on the application, go to package contents, go to contents, go to resources, go to transgaming, and open up f_drive. Drag all the files from the CD into the f_drive folder.

You can now run SWBF II without the CD in.

By: Mac

Special note: Thanks to Aeria Gloris for teaching me EVERYTHING I just posted.

©Aeria Gloris and Mac 2008

For the legal crap

THESE ACTIONS AREN'T SUPPORTED BY LUCASARTS,
A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD.
ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS, A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD.

Also, I am NOT responsible for any damages done to your computer, CDs, or anything else that may occur due to following this guide. Use at your own risk.

You missed a lot of stuff.

A lot.

#TYBG

Quote from: "Thomas"You missed a lot of stuff.

A lot.

Yeah, I don't think I have the plist.info in here. What else am I missing?

November 24, 2009, 08:02:41 AM #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:50:57 AM by .invertus
can u reupload  all the stuff pls?

dose not work >_>

Try not to double post, instead use the edit button just above right of your post. I've combined your two posts.

sorry so can someone help me in on snow leopard is there a cider ver 4 snow leopard?

Cider is OUTDATED (and possibly illegal to modify, I blame the incorrect English of their EULA). Due to the finally high compatibility rate of Crossover Games 8, I recommend that you get it. It's not too expensive and it's A LOT easier to use.

Just for the record, Snow Leopard can run Cider-based games just fine.

#TYBG

yes but when i try to run the SWBFII game in cider it either says no CD or just quits.