health packs invisible in freecam?

Started by Phobos, November 17, 2012, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i was watching pilots duel and no health packs were visible from the freecam view. i am wondering if this is due to lack of a low mesh. is there a way to add low mesh for health packs or another way to make them appear from the freecamera view?

I'm not in my build folders at the moment.. are the packs in common.lvl?

Later tonight I can try slapping a lowrez into it to see if it's an lod issue.

yes the models are located in the common and the side odfs call on them

November 18, 2012, 07:43:19 AM #3 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:36:09 AM by tirpider
Cool.

I'm guessing I'll have to use the BattleBelk's common.lvl builder builder to test it then.

I just finished an otc unit and will try this now.

-edit

Tried freecam on my edited and on un edited ones.

I did both the item_powerup_health100 and item_powerup_health25 msh's.

It shows up in both cases at closeup and long range.

I am guessing there is something up with either your freecam or common.lvl

I attached the edited ones if you want to try it out

(sorry for the big pics)
un-edited
[spoiler][/spoiler]

edited
[spoiler][/spoiler]

November 18, 2012, 09:39:01 AM #4 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:41:01 AM by Phobos
Not the regular bactas, I mean the powerup_dual packs that pilots throw. I was watching the duel from freecam inside a glitch, on citadel, and couldn't see any packs though both players said they were deploying them.

Also at this range the weapon models went invisible. I could only see players and laser bolts. Is it possible to add a low res to weapon models?

November 18, 2012, 09:53:03 AM #5 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:30:19 AM by tirpider
Ok,  I didn't test the dual one. I will try them.
(might be an hour or so)

Re:lowres for weapons.
Yes , it can be added to them. I don't know how the game handles it all though. It may or may not help.

All I'm doing for these tests is:
- copying the regular geometry to a new folder (modl chunk)
- parent the copy to the MODL it is a copy of.
- append "_lowrez" to it's NAME
- insert a FLGS tag just after TRAN
- make sure the MNDX tags are numbered sequentialy with no duplicates.

That makes for a really high poly lowres. The above should work on any prop, at least for testing.
If it passes the testing phase, then we can figure out how to replace the geometry with something more conservative.

I haven't tried it on weapons yet (haven't had time), but was going to start experimenting with them once the OTC units are done.

-edit
Same results as before.

I did it on cloud city this time so I could toss the packs as a pilot wherever I wanted.

I was able to see it from across the map in freecam, even when passing through walls.

I'll attach the msh so you can test if you like.