April Fool's 2014: MASSIVE News on Battlefront Reboot, EA, DICE tells all!

Started by Rayce, April 01, 2014, 11:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: IGN
We are very excited to announce new details about Star Wars: Battlefront: Arcade
the new Xbox Live Arcade exclusive title by Disney Electronic Interactive Studios (formerly Electronic Arts) and DICE LA coming Fall 2014 (rated E for minor cartoon violence and crude humor).

DICE:
"We have decided to go a more family friendly approach unlike our previous titles such as Battlefield, as we feel this game should appeal to gamers of all ages. All-new features include:

• Play as new characters and in new locations from the upcoming Disney XD series Star Wars: Rebels and the Netflix exclusive series Star Wars: The Clone Wars!
  • Play as fan-favorite characters such as Jar-Jar Binks and Wicket the Ewok!
  • Play online with your friends with Xbox Live Gold!
  • Share your victories online via Facebook or Twitter!
  • Purchase tons of new exclusive premium items and DLCs at the Xbox Live Marketplace starting at only $19.95!"
PS: Did you forget what day it is? ;)

Sadly, I expect it will be closer to the mark than not...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quotefan-favorite characters such as Jar-Jar Binks and Wicket the Ewok!

QuotePurchase tons of new exclusive premium items and DLCs at the Xbox Live Marketplace starting at only $19.95!

Welp... I'm out.

Goodbye cruel, Disney, overpriced DLC, world ;)
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

As soon as I saw the thread topic just now, I thought to myself...

Quote from: Gold Man on April 01, 2014, 03:18:15 PM
As soon as I saw the thread topic just now, I thought to myself...

You are correct.  :P Happy April Fools day!

You forgot to add the bit about the facebook Oculus pandemic :P

"Facebook is now licensing EA to use Oculus in SWBFIII battlefront reboot, with the requirements that facebook is virtually built into the game itself. DICE thoroughly agreed to that plan and says it will be a big hit for the game-social networking system."

Probably would have made it even more believable.. actually

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 01, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
You forgot to add the bit about the facebook Oculus pandemic :P

"Facebook is now licensing EA to use Oculus in SWBFIII battlefront reboot, with the requirements that facebook is virtually built into the game itself. DICE thoroughly agreed to that plan and says it will be a big hit for the game-social networking system."

Probably would have made it even more believable.. actually

I still wouldn't have believed it at all, for quite a few reasons:

-IGN sucks in general
-DICE and EA are terrible, but they aren't THIS stupid
-Everyone hates Jar Jar and Wicket
-Xbox exlclusives would've killed half of EA and DICE's profit margin

Now if this were news about Watch Dogs, THEN I would've been ticked.  :P

Quote from: Gold Man on April 01, 2014, 05:06:47 PM
I still wouldn't have believed it at all, for quite a few reasons:

-IGN sucks in general
-Everyone hates Jar Jar and Wicket

Now if this were news about Watch Dogs, THEN I would've been ticked.  :P
TBH I was making fun of Disney more than DICE.  :XD:

Quote from: Gold Man on April 01, 2014, 05:06:47 PM
Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on April 01, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
Woah there. You two seem to be viewing EA and DICE as evil companies that hate all gamers. EA may put the focus on money but DICE is a developer filled with talented people that have a passion for games. That wouldn't just go and "thoroughly agree" to integrate Facebook with their game unless they felt it would truly make for a better experience. EA on the other hand, well if they felt it would net more money dollars for the shareholders you bet they would.

Although even then a great example of how EA doesn't hate gamers is something Matt Lees pointed out. Right now we have DICE making a sequel to Mirror's Edge. (How many of you know what the original game is or have played it?) Anyway, so this isn't exactly the most well known series and as a result is unlikely to rake in massive amounts of cash. However fans of the original want it so they are making it. And as an open world game --very expensive game to make-- no less. Now it's unlikely EA will make loads of money off it at most it's expected it'll break even.

Another thing to consider is the fact that they also probably make a lot more money off mobile games than they do PC or console ones. Yet they continue to make games for PCs and consoles. Think about how many mobile games and how much marketing for those games you could do with the money put behind Mirror's Edge. Probably several games and a lot of marketing. And it would probably make a lot more money than the sequel to Mirror's Edge is going to.

Now after all that, can we really think EA and DICE are companies that hate gamers? They really don't in fact I would say they really quite love gamers. EA does what it does because of a wonderful thing called shareholders. Those shareholders want to see a return and they also want to see the share price go up so they can sell at a profit.

I may have lost the point at somewhere during that rant.
tl;dr
EA don't hate gamers. DICE don't hate gamers. DICE isn't the one calling the shots on stuff that has to do with money, EA is. #BlameGreedyShareholders

Ah, right, I was beginning to reconsider that statement shortly after I posted.

However, EA has been given a "Worst Company" rating 2 years in a row. Besides, EA has done some dumb stuff, but that phony news just doesn't sound like it had enough truth to make me believe in it. Give it to The Onion, I'm sure they would make the perfect fake news out of it.

Quote from: Gold Man on April 01, 2014, 05:48:32 PM
Ah, right, I was beginning to reconsider that statement shortly after I posted.

However, EA has been given a "Worst Company" rating 2 years in a row. Besides, EA has done some dumb stuff, but that phony news just doesn't sound like it had enough truth to make me believe in it. Give it to The Onion, I'm sure they would make the perfect fake news out of it.
It wasn't supposed to be believable, per say, just a quick laugh at all of our fears of Disney micro-managing Star Wars. (Trust me, I have them, too.)

I'll have to inform everyone, that no matter how many smaller companies EA eats, Valve will only end up eating EA.
Valve, the biggest troll.
Do not deny.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

@SK -- Woah there, I only meant it as a joke, nothing serious :P

Though you are correct, if you're going to really be mad at a certain party, make sure you know the truth about who is who.