Intriguing.....

Started by Ultimo, December 01, 2013, 07:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was watching Return of the Jedi on SpikeTV, and it's at the scene where the Emporer is arriving on the Death Star. At the end of the scene, the camera backs away from the characters, into what might be a top corner of the hangar. If you look closely, many of the stormtroopers that are lined up have their head leaning in weird angles, and it makes them look largely like they are small models.
I know a lot of the movies were filmed with small models, but were there actually models for this scene, or would this be actual characters, that for some odd reason have their head titled funny?
I'm sorry I have no video footage but you can likely find this scene somewhere.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I actually found the scene here:

http://starwars.com/watch/episode_6_emperor_arrives.html

If you mean that last bit where the camera is aimed outward as they walk, it could be possible that the troops are models. I looked at the scene over and over, and the troops are standing stock still, no signs of movement whatsoever. So they could either be models, or extremely well done paintings. Who know though, they could've been actual actors that stood stock still for the shot.

December 01, 2013, 08:10:17 PM #2 Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:38:00 PM by Kit Fisto
As I thought, it is a matte painting. A very good one too.

EDIT: Fixed image.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Wow, even the image on the page won't load for me.
But atleast thanks for the info. ^_^
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Kit Fisto on December 01, 2013, 08:10:17 PM
As I thought, it is a matte painting. A very good one too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Direct link if it's not working. http://www.ketzer.com/movie_props_replicas/MP_rotj_dsbay.jpg

I KNEW IT! I looked it over one more time, then I realized, it's a painting!

Oh yes! Thank you!
I should've seen that. As much as I know about art, the light glare off the cabin of the ship would've been a dead giveaway. I'm surprised the artist didn't notice that the glare matches none of the patterns for any light in the room.
(but I ain't gonna critique much, he did a better job than me in a long shot XD)
But thanks fisto!
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

But wait, closer inspection....
this isn't the End of the scene...
I can't recall, but the camera angle has got to be a tad different...
Maybe not, but "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

man why my eyes so good? lol
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

December 01, 2013, 09:57:32 PM #8 Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:01:57 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Its forward and lower a tad bit.
In both pictures, the specular on the ship is very unrealistic.. I mean, I know the Imperial are all Top Notch and everything, but no one is able to keep anything THAT shinny..
-edit: In fact, almost every reflective surface is quite a bit off in both scenes.. Projections are very important in 3d art. - But like you said, I shouldn't critique too much either, I am far bellow that skill level :P